"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

People Critique'Finger Lickin' Good'

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Finger Lickin' Good'

Post by davechinn » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:01 pm

I normally would have converted this to B&W, but felt otherwise in this case. I also was hesitate to post because of subject matter and if admin feels the need to remove or place elsewhere, I understand.

This was taken in Sturgis S.D. during the 2017 motorcycle rally. The scene was pretty typical, much of this type was all around the area. My focus is pretty much obvious, but to be honest, I didn't see Colonel Sanders until the next day while viewing the images. I felt he actually made the image complete with title and all.
Dave
Attachments
Finger Lickin' Good DEC_3216w.jpg
'Finger Lickin' Good'
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:11 pm

Oh I'm sure she'll be fine here! Yes, I can believe you missed Colonel Sanders until later (I remember chasing Parasol Girl down Bourbon Street with you!), but he is what makes the image work as a street shot.

Definitely needs to stay in color, but even so, with your processing skills, I do think you can get some extra out of it if you decide you want a more fanciful version. It is an outrageous image, so it can bear up to extra creativity.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Double entendres are always wonderful when they happen visually. This one specially made me laugh as it rides the 'naughty' cusp. You're right, converting to B&W would have taken so much away from this.
My only suggestion is to up the exposure on this. Right now the brightness of Col. Sanders makes the Lady in Red look underexposed. See if you can find a balance between the two.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:26 pm

Colonel who??? Duck makes a good point..I think you shot from the hip here,,,,,

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:23 pm

minniev wrote:Oh I'm sure she'll be fine here! Yes, I can believe you missed Colonel Sanders until later (I remember chasing Parasol Girl down Bourbon Street with you!), but he is what makes the image work as a street shot.

Definitely needs to stay in color, but even so, with your processing skills, I do think you can get some extra out of it if you decide you want a more fanciful version. It is an outrageous image, so it can bear up to extra creativity.

Something of this sort is always questionable with me, not knowing how others will perceive it, I felt the same about the Parasol Girl and if you remember it took me awhile to come around and post it.

I have thought previously about a B&W conversion, but I think with this one I may have to prepare myself mentally in order for it to come close to acceptance. It will be something I'll consider. Thanks for your comments and the reminder, chasing Parasol Girl down Bourbon Street. Something I don't think I'll ever forget.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:49 pm

Duck wrote:Double entendres are always wonderful when they happen visually. This one specially made me laugh as it rides the 'naughty' cusp. You're right, converting to B&W would have taken so much away from this.
My only suggestion is to up the exposure on this. Right now the brightness of Col. Sanders makes the Lady in Red look underexposed. See if you can find a balance between the two.

I agree, double entendres are wonderful, which is usually a rare occurrence with me. Glad you got a laugh out of it, I did as well. I did bring the exposure up some on her, but didn't want to go too far for the fact that she is in partial shadow of the person to her left where Col. Sanders was not. Thanks for your suggestion, but I believe I will leave it as is.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:06 pm

This is hilarious on so many levels, but for me what really makes the shot is Col. Sanders back there looking sidelong at the camera, having juuuust that second taken his eyes off, um... it's the salacious expression he wears, and somehow managing to look both at you and, um, simultaneously adds the wink-wink-nudge-nudge :rofl: to the shot. This is utter serendipity, a shot I'm not sure could have been made had you tried to set it up. That is le moment décisif in spades! One of the best street shots I've ever seen, and absolutely must have color (how else to see the red?). :love:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:29 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Colonel who??? Duck makes a good point..I think you shot from the hip here,,,,,

Ha ha ha !!! You know, I never gave thought to anyone thinking this was shot from the hip. Although, I can see why one would think that. However, to put your thoughts at ease, it was not shot from the hip. I actually had a waist level view finder attached to the camera. http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-produc ... inder.html A few years ago, when I first started with street photography, I did try some from the hip, but no longer. You may want to consider one for yourself, Frank. It will keep you off your belly in the sand with your low angle beach shots. http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-produc ... inder.html Thanks for commenting and the laugh !!!

Note: the link and pricing is from the Nikon USA site, but is also available from B&H or Adorama at a much less price.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:03 pm

Thanks for the info Mr. Chinn....

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:51 pm

I'm digging the color here Dave. Not seeing the Finger Lick'n Good Man makes me wonder what caught your eye. ;-)
Today is the Day, a New Day.