“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's Corner'Soul Recipe'

Portraits and head shots. Learn the finer points of lighting and posing.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Soul Recipe'

Postby davechinn » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:02 pm

A candid shot taken yesterday on the streets of Cincinnati. Comments, thoughts and suggestions welcomed.
Dave
Attachments
Soul Recipe DEC_2913 B&W w.jpg
'Soul Recipe'

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: 'Soul Recipe'

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:11 pm

Absolutely mesmerizing, Dave! I am so interested in knowing this person - the lifestyle or religion that is the story behind the headdress. My only wish is that the eyes were a little brighter than the area on the shoulder.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:24 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Absolutely mesmerizing, Dave! I am so interested in knowing this person - the lifestyle or religion that is the story behind the headdress. My only wish is that the eyes were a little brighter than the area on the shoulder.

I agree with Linda, plus I feel the vignette is a tad overmuch. I love the picture! She appears thoughtful, relaxed yet wary; she is really very beautiful. :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Psjunkie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:57 pm

A wonderful catch Mr. Chinn….a true expression. I feel this image needs to be looked at more thorough as it is very worthy of the effort. I could nit pick if you like but think you already know most of what I might say…..

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:16 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Absolutely mesmerizing, Dave! I am so interested in knowing this person - the lifestyle or religion that is the story behind the headdress. My only wish is that the eyes were a little brighter than the area on the shoulder.

Thank you Linda !!! Glad you have an interest in this person, but I'm sorry, I don't have any info other than what you see. Some I engage with but I did not with her. My intuition was I should leave well enough alone, based on her company and body language. I was able to capture a few of her as I found her to be an interesting character as well. I'm posting a color version of her and not so heavily processed.
Dave
Attachments
DEC_2915 color w.jpg
'Soul Recipe' Color

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:

I agree with Linda, plus I feel the vignette is a tad overmuch. I love the picture! She appears thoughtful, relaxed yet wary; she is really very beautiful. :thumbup:

Thank you Chuck !!! I do at times go too far with the vignetting, but for the most part my vignetting is usually pretty subtle. This one I felt the need to pour it on. May be a mood thing today?
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:27 pm

Psjunkie wrote:A wonderful catch Mr. Chinn….a true expression. I feel this image needs to be looked at more thorough as it is very worthy of the effort. I could nit pick if you like but think you already know most of what I might say…..

Come on Frank !!! Nothing has stopped you before, LOL !!! I have an idea whats on your mind, but I'm not convinced you will change mine, unless you are seeing something I'm not. It is what it is, and most likely will stay, but please spit it out !!! Thanks for commenting, I do appreciate it.
Dave

PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby PietFrancke » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:02 pm

Dave, I love the fabric flow of the second - with a better background and with your traditional (bit gentle) treatment you might have caught someone in conversation with the angels.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:26 am

davechinn wrote:A candid shot taken yesterday on the streets of Cincinnati. Comments, thoughts and suggestions welcomed.
Dave

Now that I know your work more I thought I'd take the time to look beyond the awe and wonder to try to find something that bothers me.

My immediate thought was to tone down the headscarf and brighten the eyes but looking more it feels like this is a cutout when looking at the top-right. I might tone down the covering on the shoulder and lighten the processing on her face, but all of this from someone who doesn't have a clue how to do any of this.

This is a wonderful portrait and you should be proud of the impact it has on others. Thank you so much for sharing this here with us! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:36 pm

PietFrancke wrote:Dave, I love the fabric flow of the second - with a better background and with your traditional (bit gentle) treatment you might have caught someone in conversation with the angels.

Thank you Piet !!! Sometimes I get caught between two images and can never decide on anything, so I can appreciate the fact that you have made a decision.
Dave

Return to “Portraits & Head Shots”