"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Critic's Corner'Soul Recipe'

Portraits and head shots. Learn the finer points of lighting and posing.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Reputation: 27
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: 'Soul Recipe'

Postby davechinn » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:02 am

St3v3M wrote:
davechinn wrote:A candid shot taken yesterday on the streets of Cincinnati. Comments, thoughts and suggestions welcomed.
Dave

Now that I know your work more I thought I'd take the time to look beyond the awe and wonder to try to find something that bothers me.

My immediate thought was to tone down the headscarf and brighten the eyes but looking more it feels like this is a cutout when looking at the top-right. I might tone down the covering on the shoulder and lighten the processing on her face, but all of this from someone who doesn't have a clue how to do any of this.

This is a wonderful portrait and you should be proud of the impact it has on others. Thank you so much for sharing this here with us! S-



Thank you Steve !!! I'm sure there are hidden issues while some could jump right out at you. I'm assuming your comments are referring to the B&W. It's not a cutout, but the brick background has been masked in. I too, would liked to have the eyes brightened more. I have brighten them some, but I was afraid I may go too far and make matters worse, so I had to find a fine line on where to stop and just accept the results. I have a certain recipe I follow up to a certain point with some, but not all, of my B&W conversions. Then I begin to experiment and sometimes I don't know the end results until I actually see it. I appreciate your suggestions and they would be something to explore.
Dave

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 1951
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Reputation: 101
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: 'Soul Recipe'

Postby St3v3M » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:53 pm

davechinn wrote:Thank you Steve !!! I'm sure there are hidden issues while some could jump right out at you. I'm assuming your comments are referring to the B&W. It's not a cutout, but the brick background has been masked in. I too, would liked to have the eyes brightened more. I have brighten them some, but I was afraid I may go too far and make matters worse, so I had to find a fine line on where to stop and just accept the results. I have a certain recipe I follow up to a certain point with some, but not all, of my B&W conversions. Then I begin to experiment and sometimes I don't know the end results until I actually see it. I appreciate your suggestions and they would be something to explore.
Dave

It's an amazing image I would be proud to have produced. Thank you so much! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Reputation: 27
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: 'Soul Recipe'

Postby davechinn » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:35 pm

St3v3M wrote:
davechinn wrote:Thank you Steve !!! I'm sure there are hidden issues while some could jump right out at you. I'm assuming your comments are referring to the B&W. It's not a cutout, but the brick background has been masked in. I too, would liked to have the eyes brightened more. I have brighten them some, but I was afraid I may go too far and make matters worse, so I had to find a fine line on where to stop and just accept the results. I have a certain recipe I follow up to a certain point with some, but not all, of my B&W conversions. Then I begin to experiment and sometimes I don't know the end results until I actually see it. I appreciate your suggestions and they would be something to explore.
Dave

It's an amazing image I would be proud to have produced. Thank you so much! S-


Thanks again Steve !!!
Dave

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1059
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Reputation: 112
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: 'Soul Recipe'

Postby minniev » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:20 pm

Somehow I missed this one so I'm glad she rose back to the top where I could find her. I like both images, the thoughtful monochrome and the ethereal and cheerful second shot. On the first one I do think toning down the white of the scarf around her neck would stop that thing from drawing the eye away from this impactful but shadowed face. And maybe cutting back on the vignette. That second shot is just plain joyful, I like it as it is, with that dreamy background and that wonderful expression. She is an enigmatic but fascinating character. You have caught the mystery and beauty!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Reputation: 27
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: 'Soul Recipe'

Postby davechinn » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:16 pm

minniev wrote:Somehow I missed this one so I'm glad she rose back to the top where I could find her. I like both images, the thoughtful monochrome and the ethereal and cheerful second shot. On the first one I do think toning down the white of the scarf around her neck would stop that thing from drawing the eye away from this impactful but shadowed face. And maybe cutting back on the vignette. That second shot is just plain joyful, I like it as it is, with that dreamy background and that wonderful expression. She is an enigmatic but fascinating character. You have caught the mystery and beauty!



Thank you Minnie for your comments. I find that it's easy to lose/miss a thread here and maybe once I'm 100% familiar with the site I can navigate around much easier, so I do understand.

For the most part I don't care that much anymore with vignette, but some images I do apply it heavily and some are so subtle. I think with me it depends on the image. I am guilty of it though. She was an interesting character and sometimes when I see someone with such interest I tend to stick with them a little while for a variety of expressions while with others I take my shot and move to the next available subject. Not sure why though.
Dave

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 1951
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Reputation: 101
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: 'Soul Recipe'

Postby St3v3M » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:55 am

davechinn wrote:... I find that it's easy to lose/miss a thread here and maybe once I'm 100% familiar with the site I can navigate around much easier, so I do understand.
...

I find Quick links > Unread posts the best resource to not miss anything. I hope it helps! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Reputation: 27
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: 'Soul Recipe'

Postby davechinn » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:19 am

St3v3M wrote:
davechinn wrote:... I find that it's easy to lose/miss a thread here and maybe once I'm 100% familiar with the site I can navigate around much easier, so I do understand.
...

I find Quick links > Unread posts the best resource to not miss anything. I hope it helps! S-


Thanks, I'll keep that in mind while I continue to explore. I know there must be a much simpler method and your advise just may be the key.
Dave


Return to “Portraits & Head Shots”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest