“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's Corner'Hap'

Portraits and head shots. Learn the finer points of lighting and posing.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Hap'

Postby davechinn » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:44 pm

Hap seemed to be a happy fellow that I captured within a circle of crowds at a local biker event 2017. At most times patience seems to be the key to capture an acceptable expression, but wait too long and opportunity is lost, which has happened many a time. Comments and any suggestions welcomed.
Dave
Attachments
Hap DEC_8177w B&W.jpg
'Hap'

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No

Re: 'Hap'

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:14 pm

davechinn wrote:Hap seemed to be a happy fellow that I captured within a circle of crowds at a local biker event 2017. At most times patience seems to be the key to capture an acceptable expression, but wait too long and opportunity is lost, which has happened many a time. Comments and any suggestions welcomed.
Dave

Hap does look happy and relaxed! And I know what you mean about patience, especially if you had the camera to your eye. In my experience, especially if you are close, a person will freeze up or at least become less genuine. My wife used to do that. It was really hard to get a completely relaxed and natural picture of her unless she had forgotten about me. Not that she was posing; she just hated what she thought the camera did to her. :|

I do have two or three suggestions. If I had made it I think I would knock down that highlight running along a fold of his neck. I'd probably just take it out but it could be subdued. As it is it looks like part of his mustache. There's a similar highlight in a fold on his cap, directly north of the K in bike. Not a big deal but, as I say, had I made it I'd delete it. Finally, on his right ear (camera left) there's a hotspot on his ear. Now, if that's an earring of course it stays, but I can't tell. These for me would be housekeeping things. I don't have to tell you that it's all subjective and it's not my pitcher! I like it fine just as it is! :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby minniev » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:49 pm

davechinn wrote:Hap seemed to be a happy fellow that I captured within a circle of crowds at a local biker event 2017. At most times patience seems to be the key to capture an acceptable expression, but wait too long and opportunity is lost, which has happened many a time. Comments and any suggestions welcomed.
Dave

Very nice character-revealing image, a hard thing to do with the subject in sunglasses, but you did it! Signature Chinn processing is done very well. I agree with Chuck about the thin little light lines, just minor nits.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:53 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Dave

Hap does look happy and relaxed! And I know what you mean about patience, especially if you had the camera to your eye. In my experience, especially if you are close, a person will freeze up or at least become less genuine. My wife used to do that. It was really hard to get a completely relaxed and natural picture of her unless she had forgotten about me. Not that she was posing; she just hated what she thought the camera did to her. :|

I do have two or three suggestions. If I had made it I think I would knock down that highlight running along a fold of his neck. I'd probably just take it out but it could be subdued. As it is it looks like part of his mustache. There's a similar highlight in a fold on his cap, directly north of the K in bike. Not a big deal but, as I say, had I made it I'd delete it. Finally, on his right ear (camera left) there's a hotspot on his ear. Now, if that's an earring of course it stays, but I can't tell. These for me would be housekeeping things. I don't have to tell you that it's all subjective and it's not my pitcher! I like it fine just as it is! :thumbup:

Thank you for commenting Chuck !!! I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. I agree with two of the three you mentioned, only because I don't actually see the highlight north of the k in bike. I will have to take a closer look within Photoshop and make the correction if I happen to see it. The highlight on the ear (not an earring) is so obvious, now that it has been pointed out to me. The highlight on his neck is there and, yes should be removed or toned down. Kudos to you for such a sharp eye. Thank you once again !!!
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:11 pm

minniev wrote:
Dave

Very nice character-revealing image, a hard thing to do with the subject in sunglasses, but you did it! Signature Chinn processing is done very well. I agree with Chuck about the thin little light lines, just minor nits.

While observing him prior to the shot I couldn't help but notice his body language, smile and just overall appearance, which is why I took a few shots of him. Trying to squeeze between other people surrounding him to capture the expression I had in mind was a challenge. At first I had wished he had removed the sunglasses, but now I'm glad they remained on. In most cases I prefer to capture the eyes, but I also feel in this case it was probably best they were on. As you very well know, we have to capture what we can at the time and just accept that, it is what it is. I used to walk away disappointed because I didn't get what I wanted, but now have come to accept what I happen to get. Thank you for commenting and offering your thoughts. Much appreciated, Minnie.
Dave

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Psjunkie » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:57 am

Well done...Chuck has it.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby PietFrancke » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:38 am

I like this image and I like Chuck's suggestions too. For me... I never saw them, but once pointed out, I couldn't un-see them. I like reading critiques for about the same reason I like macro images. I see things I have never seen before!

edit - it is amazing that the reflections in his sunglasses are so sharp. I guess the camera is focused on the glasses and what is there remains sharp, even though it is a reflection. That can't be right though, because if it was we could increase DOF simply by using mirrors to reflect things... anyway, just thinking about it made me curious if the image might improve if those reflections were blurred. (and probably not... sorry for rambling on so, sometime my brain misfires and the fingers don't stop)

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:06 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Well done...Chuck has it.

Yes, I agree Frank !!! Although, I only spot two of the three mentioned and will make those corrections, and since I don't see the one in the hat area I will probably go ahead and work the whole hat area just to cover my bases.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:22 pm

PietFrancke wrote:I like this image and I like Chuck's suggestions too. For me... I never saw them, but once pointed out, I couldn't un-see them. I like reading critiques for about the same reason I like macro images. I see things I have never seen before!

edit - it is amazing that the reflections in his sunglasses are so sharp. I guess the camera is focused on the glasses and what is there remains sharp, even though it is a reflection. That can't be right though, because if it was we could increase DOF simply by using mirrors to reflect things... anyway, just thinking about it made me curious if the image might improve if those reflections were blurred. (and probably not... sorry for rambling on so, sometime my brain misfires and the fingers don't stop)

I never saw them either Piet, but now they stick out like a sore thumb. Can't see the forest for the trees !!! Yes, my focus point was his glasses. I was approximately 25-30 feet from him and my camera settings were, focal length 200mm, ISO 100, shutter speed 1/500 @ f2.8. When out doing this type of photography I always focus on the eyes, even if they have sunglasses on. Although, there have been many times I have missed the focal point and not realizing it until I upload them to the computer. I have since tried to make corrections by zooming in on the camera monitor for a close look, but even that doesn't always work. Then the opportunity is lost/gone. Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated.
Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:45 am

Dave

This is a wonderful tribute to a happy man! Thank you for sharing this with us! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Portraits & Head Shots”