"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

People CritiqueDown To The Beach

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
User avatar
rmalarz
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:28 pm
Reputation: 24
Location: Arizona
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Down To The Beach

Postby rmalarz » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:17 pm

Minnie, the tonality is quite nice. The only suggestion I would make is in the way of composition. I feel he's too centered in the frame, especially horizontally. A bit more generous crop would permit you to easily place the subject a bit to the left in the frame. Thus, having him looking into the center of the photo, as opposed to looking off of it. Though, with further thought, it might work, as he is looking off into the distance, perhaps to a new seaside adventure.
--Bob
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Reputation: 124
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Down To The Beach

Postby minniev » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:58 pm

PietFrancke wrote:I can not speak to portraits, but I can tell he is all boy and I imagine he wanted that beach pretty badly. I have a feeling he will soon be doing all the fish-like swimming that you can handle. With that squint and the sand on his nose I see that Clint Eastwood will soon be replaced.


This one is indeed all boy, as tough as they come, tougher than either of his older brothers. They are in for something.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Reputation: 124
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Down To The Beach

Postby minniev » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:01 pm

rmalarz wrote:Minnie, the tonality is quite nice. The only suggestion I would make is in the way of composition. I feel he's too centered in the frame, especially horizontally. A bit more generous crop would permit you to easily place the subject a bit to the left in the frame. Thus, having him looking into the center of the photo, as opposed to looking off of it. Though, with further thought, it might work, as he is looking off into the distance, perhaps to a new seaside adventure.
--Bob


Thanks Bob. I do have a bit of space on that side (not on the other). He was definitely eyeing the water, and demanding that I go "down to the ocean" with him. He got pretty bold before the end of our stay.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Posts: 667
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Reputation: 32
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Down To The Beach

Postby Psjunkie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:37 am

minniev wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:Nothing at all wrong with the composition but you've left some tones on the table....you've muddled the skin tones which loses the texture, not sure that's a word. ..you toned this toward brown, yes...He sure looks older than two..I might crop up from the bottom just to the shadow's removal..

You know what I'm gonna say: Show Me!

There was the challenge of the shadow, and I probably didn't deal with it well. You do this stuff all the time so Show Me!

I suspect he thinks he's more than 2.
This is just different minniev...you presented your vision, being familiar with the gulf coast and ruff and tumble boys I present you with my vision a touch grittier....oh and the crop was for a bit of tension.
Attachments
luke (50 of 1) copy-2.jpg

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Reputation: 124
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Down To The Beach

Postby minniev » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:20 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
minniev wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:Nothing at all wrong with the composition but you've left some tones on the table....you've muddled the skin tones which loses the texture, not sure that's a word. ..you toned this toward brown, yes...He sure looks older than two..I might crop up from the bottom just to the shadow's removal..

You know what I'm gonna say: Show Me!

There was the challenge of the shadow, and I probably didn't deal with it well. You do this stuff all the time so Show Me!

I suspect he thinks he's more than 2.
This is just different minniev...you presented your vision, being familiar with the gulf coast and ruff and tumble boys I present you with my vision a touch grittier....oh and the crop was for a bit of tension.

Thanks so much Frank for taking the time to work this up and share it here. It is grittier, but he is a gritty kid on a gritty beach so it fits. I like the change in crop too. Appreciate! I love seeing what others come up with editing my photos.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:18 pm
Reputation: 9
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Re: Down To The Beach

Postby ErichBrunner » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:00 pm

minniev wrote:The 2year old made up a song that he sang every day on the trudge across the sand to the ocean with umbrellas and sandbuckets and so forth. "Down To The Beach" The photo sort of captures how he did the beach thing up close.

I don't do real portrait shots but sometimes print and frame some informal shots for family use, so here is one I'd like feedback on.



I like the composition and I think it adds to the photo that he is looking away from the camera. This is an example of where fill flash might have made a big difference. It would have lightened the shadows under the eyes a bit. For use as a family portrait, not to imply that they are less important because they are "just" for the family, this works fine. Any family member viewing that adorable face would not even give those shadows a second thought. He does look older than two.
Erich

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2550
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Reputation: 102
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Down To The Beach

Postby St3v3M » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:02 am

minniev wrote:The 2year old made up a song that he sang every day on the trudge across the sand to the ocean with umbrellas and sandbuckets and so forth. "Down To The Beach" The photo sort of captures how he did the beach thing up close.

I don't do real portrait shots but sometimes print and frame some informal shots for family use, so here is one I'd like feedback on.

Taking up the Show Me Challenge I did very little to this other than darken some of the blacks. I hope you like it! S-
Attachments
luke %2850 of 1%29.jpg
luke %2850 of 1%29.jpg (94.32 KiB) Viewed 251 times
luke %2850 of 1%29-1.jpg
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"


Return to “People Critique”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests