"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

People CritiqueDJ Battle Competition 2013

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: DJ Battle Competition 2013

Post by davechinn » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:09 am

uuglypher wrote:Dave,

Great series! Love it.
The impact of each is atmosphere and intensity of attention.

Dave

Thanks Dave !!! Some of these shots got rather boring after a few weeks as they seemed to repeat themselves with different faces. Although, some of these guys put on a performance, which was good for me as to be able to present a variety of shots.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:14 am

ErichBrunner wrote:
davechinn wrote:As requested, more from the 2013 DJ battle competition. Comments and suggestions welcomed.
Dave

Beautiful tonality. More dark than highlights; but it has an atmospheric quality that seems to work very well with the subject.
Erich

Thanks Erich !!! Your right, more dark than highlights. I could have used the flash more, but I didn't want to take away the impact that the spot/flood lights were provided periodically.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:03 am

minniev wrote:
davechinn wrote:As requested, more from the 2013 DJ battle competition. Comments and suggestions welcomed.
Dave

These are great Dave, the lighting conveys the mood and feel so well. My favorites are the third and last but they are all really nice and form a cohesive project group. Your processing, as usual, supports your subject matter effectively, and your captures are high quality in spite of what appears to be a rather challenging environment with dicey lighting and lots of "stuff". Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Minnie !!! I appreciate the comments. I have so many various images over a 10 week period that I have not seen myself. I just randomly picked and chose a select few for them to go on the venue's website, but for some strange reason had the desire to look at some new ones to create a more dramatic atmosphere since my tastes and desires in photography have changed since then. I'm always amazed at how the mind works and I look forward to whats on the agenda of the next change where photography is concerned. The changes we go through I would consider as growth.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:16 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Wonderful set, especially considering the obvious challenges! Literally atmospheric! (OK)

Thank you Chuck !!! Glad you liked them and yes, it was a challenge, not only for the images, but rather being out so late. They competition started at 10:00 PM once a week for 10 weeks and it ran until closing time which was 2:30 AM, so for a man of my age being engulfed into an atmosphere I haven't seen in 40 years was a challenge in itself, not to mention being possibly intimidated with the younger crowd.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:23 pm

davechinn wrote:Thank you Chuck !!! Glad you liked them and yes, it was a challenge, not only for the images, but rather being out so late. They competition started at 10:00 PM once a week for 10 weeks and it ran until closing time which was 2:30 AM, so for a man of my age being engulfed into an atmosphere I haven't seen in 40 years was a challenge in itself, not to mention being possibly intimidated with the younger crowd.
Dave

OOOoooooooh yeah! I honestly don't think I could do it at all! Maybe if I slept all day before? :| :lol:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:16 am

Dave

Album covers, all album covers, and I'm learning that while composition and processing are important it's that decisive moment that matters more. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:45 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
davechinn wrote:Thank you Chuck !!! Glad you liked them and yes, it was a challenge, not only for the images, but rather being out so late. They competition started at 10:00 PM once a week for 10 weeks and it ran until closing time which was 2:30 AM, so for a man of my age being engulfed into an atmosphere I haven't seen in 40 years was a challenge in itself, not to mention being possibly intimidated with the younger crowd.
Dave

OOOoooooooh yeah! I honestly don't think I could do it at all! Maybe if I slept all day before? :| :lol:

I agree, Chuck !!! The nightlife is for a special breed that no longer exists within me.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:52 am

St3v3M wrote:
Dave

Album covers, all album covers, and I'm learning that while composition and processing are important it's that decisive moment that matters more. S-

Thanks Steve !!! Absolutely, if everything else falls into place the decisive moment will be the most deciding factor to making or breaking images such as this. Most of what I have are just so so, while others are much more interesting because of that decisive moment.
Dave

David Alan Harvey