People CritiqueThe Church Pianist

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: The Church Pianist

Post by minniev » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:49 am

Charles Haacker wrote:A wonderful portrait of calm and grace. I think it can be called an environmental portrait. It is totally about the LIGHT! Lots of good suggestions. The paper or whatever it is is easy to remove and it is a little distracting. The dark thing... I keep puzzling as to what it is? I first thought it was the end of a pew, but it seems to be sitting right on top of an instrument that may be another piano or possibly a pump organ. I'm conflicted as to whether it should be lightened or ...anything. Agree about the texture lighting being a little rough on her face but that's a judgement call. It might suffice to erase the vertical crease in her forehead. She has a kind, calm face.

Yes, it is indeed about the light. I'll give some attention to the white things (paper) and the dark thing (top part of a straight back chair). And I'll try my unpracticed hand at facial fixing - I gave it a quick go-over with a negative clarity/negative sharpening brush in LR but I'll need to get a little more purposeful. Good idea about dealing with the crease. She is a wonderfully talented artist who exudes a sense of peace and calm.

Thank you!!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:50 am

minniev wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:
minniev wrote:Working on my Monhegan images a bit at a time. This amazing musician who has played in incredible venues summers on the island and plays in the community church on Sundays. All feedback and edits are welcome.
Most is totally your call minniev, tonality, contrast, brightness, crop, ect....I would however remove the two white objects right of her head.

I'd be interested to see your version of this one Frank. I agree with you on the two white things, though, background stuff I failed to address.
Working the original might have been more rewarding, since you asked and I'm watching the finals without my team in the hunt here is a quick Idea.......
Attachments
piano %281 of 1%29 copy_psjunkie.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:10 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
minniev wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:Most is totally your call minniev, tonality, contrast, brightness, crop, ect....I would however remove the two white objects right of her head.

I'd be interested to see your version of this one Frank. I agree with you on the two white things, though, background stuff I failed to address.
Working the original might have been more rewarding, since you asked and I'm watching the finals without my team in the hunt here is a quick Idea.......

Thank you Frank, I really like the things you demo'd here. And you did it without sacrificing the lighting.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:45 am

It's easy to see why you took this and have chosen to celebrate it with us here! Other than removing the sheet music I wouldn't do a thing! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:32 pm

St3v3M wrote:It's easy to see why you took this and have chosen to celebrate it with us here! Other than removing the sheet music I wouldn't do a thing! S-

Thank you. I do want to get it printable and take her one when I go in September.

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:35 pm

minniev wrote:Working on my Monhegan images a bit at a time. This amazing musician who has played in incredible venues summers on the island and plays in the community church on Sundays. All feedback and edits are welcome.

A very pleasing and peaceful image. Quite a few thoughts could come out of this, depending on ones thought process. I like this one very much Minnie.
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:33 pm

davechinn wrote:

A very pleasing and peaceful image. Quite a few thoughts could come out of this, depending on ones thought process. I like this one very much Minnie.

Thanks Dave, I always respect your view on portraits, you and Ernst do amazing (though very different styles of) portrait work.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:10 am

minniev wrote:Thank you. I do want to get it printable and take her one when I go in September.

A wonderful gift! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:42 pm

The light falling on her face, brow and hairline is sweet and delicious. Angelic would not be too much of an exaggeration, although it's close. If only she were playing a harp! Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:51 pm

this is really good Min, I enjoy it. Good light and a good subject intently and happily doing her thing.