“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's CornerGetting a Look

Portraits and head shots. Learn the finer points of lighting and posing.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Getting a Look

Postby Psjunkie » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:10 pm

First impressions....comments for improvement appreciated, all comments welcomed.
Attachments
20170529FGS_1709-Getting_a_Look.jpg

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Getting a Look

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:23 pm

I like it alot. Good placement of the subject in the frame. Wonderful exposure and tones. Maybe burn down the highlight on the shoulder and remove the hair lower right.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

pop511
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby pop511 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:14 pm

Admire the gritty feel to this and P/P work. What I did to your picture whilst looking at it, was to place a piece of paper on the left side and mask off about half of the dark area.
Try it and let me know what you think. For me it gave an edgier look, and stronger focus.
Well done;
Kind Regards;
ed davis

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:32 pm

An enigmatic expression that holds my attention. A strong POV, Frank, that suggests you knew exactly where you wanted to take this one. I like it very much.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:17 pm

:D I don't think that look is enigmatic at all. I think that's the OK this session is over, right?! look. :lol: I like the portrait as is. My notion of critique is What Would I Do If I Had Made It? If my answer is the same thing you did then that's fine. :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Postby Psjunkie » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:58 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:I like it alot. Good placement of the subject in the frame. Wonderful exposure and tones. Maybe burn down the highlight on the shoulder and remove the hair lower right.
Thank you Mr. Schafer, I'll give that a shot....

pop511 wrote:Admire the gritty feel to this and P/P work. What I did to your picture whilst looking at it, was to place a piece of paper on the left side and mask off about half of the dark area.
Try it and let me know what you think. For me it gave an edgier look, and stronger focus.
Well done;
Kind Regards;
Thank you pop511, you are more than welcome to show me your crop as I’m not sure I understand.....

LindaShorey wrote:An enigmatic expression that holds my attention. A strong POV, Frank, that suggests you knew exactly where you wanted to take this one. I like it very much.
Oh if only I were that creative Linda....my shots are as I refer to them "grab-n-go", I do try to position myself where I think the cation will be....all else reveals itself as I process……

Charles Haacker wrote::D I don't think that look is enigmatic at all. I think that's the OK this session is over, right?! look. :lol: I like the portrait as is. My notion of critique is What Would I Do If I Had Made It? If my answer is the same thing you did then that's fine. :thumbup:
Thank you Chuck, yes this was around the dinner table when most were ready to move on.....

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby minniev » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:07 pm

Psjunkie wrote:First impressions....comments for improvement appreciated, all comments welcomed.

Very nice one Frank. It isn't tack sharp but I don't know that it needs to be. The slight softness looks like a very appropriate approach for this particular image. I like the angle and the natural unposed and unprepped look of it. To capture personality in an image is something not everyone can do. Good work.

I'll leave the technical suggestions to those who know more about portraiture than I do.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Postby Psjunkie » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:41 pm

minniev wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:First impressions....comments for improvement appreciated, all comments welcomed.

Very nice one Frank. It isn't tack sharp but I don't know that it needs to be. The slight softness looks like a very appropriate approach for this particular image. I like the angle and the natural unposed and unprepped look of it. To capture personality in an image is something not everyone can do. Good work.

I'll leave the technical suggestions to those who know more about portraiture than I do.
Thank you minniev for letting me know what worked for you....

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:48 pm

Please call me Ernst.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Postby Psjunkie » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:09 am

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Please call me Ernst.
Sure, sorry for the other Mr's. you might see.

Return to “Portraits & Head Shots”