"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

People CritiqueImmigrant

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Immigrant

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:39 am

While visiting one of our Lavender Farms I noticed this farm hand taking a break.
Attachments
IMG_0361 BWT 16X20.jpg
IMG_0361 BWT 16X20.jpg (142.88 KiB) Viewed 423 times
Today is the Day, a New Day.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Immigrant

Postby St3v3M » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:12 pm

This is where you and I differ and where you win -

My instinct says to crop the photo somewhere above the door rather than have an awkward sized photo, but looking at it more I see how the extra image adds weight to the image, and the blurred darkness moves the eye back to the main subject completing the image and the story. It works either way, but I like yours best!

Thank you for adding this. I'm constantly learning and breaking past ideas! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Psjunkie » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:48 pm

The tree is framing him eloquently as is your use of light....I envy your ability to see through the viewfinder Ernst.
Last edited by Psjunkie on Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:56 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:While visiting one of our Lavender Farms I noticed this farm hand taking a break.

A perfect composition, though unusual in shape. And a powerful portrait with environmental context that contributes its part to context and composition. Beautiful tonalities. Really like this one, and feel gratified that someone much better than I am uses non standard ratios. I have trouble reconciling myself to the standard ones for every image, which is why I learned to make my own mattes for the sizes I print.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:07 am

I really like the tall crop, the man being the only bright spot in the picture. There's been mention of visual weight of the high crop. That looks like a cedar or redwood (where you are it's more likely a cedar?). I rarely print anything so I'm always doing non-standard crops. They work fine online and in photo books where the crop is immaterial. If I decide to go nuts and make a print but I'm too cheap for a real frame I'll pull a generous canvas around it, or use a background and a drop shadow. Then I can buy a standard frame from Voldemart and it's already matted. (Not cheap; frugal.) :lol:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:21 pm

As a professional portrait photographer I have to adhere to standard crops for my clients, and while photographing them I have to keep that in mind. However using custom crops (what works even better at times) is something
I share alot with my clients and then sell that work also. I've been cutting my own mat board for as long as I've been a photographer, a 15X10 image looks great in a 16X20 mat. One of the lst things I learned from my
mentor was presentation, presentation, presentation. A number of years ago while taking a workshop with Darton Drake he reminded me of this and that is why you'll see most of my work on the internet framed and presented.

Best to ya, Ernst
Today is the Day, a New Day.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:03 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:As a professional portrait photographer I have to adhere to standard crops for my clients, and while photographing them I have to keep that in mind. However using custom crops (what works even better at times) is something
I share alot with my clients and then sell that work also. I've been cutting my own mat board for as long as I've been a photographer, a 15X10 image looks great in a 16X20 mat. One of the lst things I learned from my
mentor was presentation, presentation, presentation. A number of years ago while taking a workshop with Darton Drake he reminded me of this and that is why you'll see most of my work on the internet framed and presented.

Best to ya, Ernst

We work hard to make the best images so it makes sense we would give them the best presentation. Thank you for sharing this with us! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

mikec
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus

Postby mikec » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:22 pm

Agree. Presentation, presentation, presentation. Of course a creative person behind the lens interpreting helps.
Mike C
Enjoying the sun and sea in Miami, FL

Return to “People Critique”