“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's CornerPete

Portraits and head shots. Learn the finer points of lighting and posing.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Pete

Postby pop511 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:36 am

Another fun pic
Attachments
_H1X0004_color_mix.jpg
ed davis

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Re: Pete

Postby LindaShorey » Fri May 12, 2017 1:05 pm

Very engaging! I particularly like how you've included so much hair and pp'd for deep shadows. I'm on the fence regarding the ultra-light forehead, but what I get from this work is you knew exactly how you wanted the result. A strong viewpoint I admire!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Fri May 12, 2017 1:34 pm

I like it very much! One of the hardest portraits to make is a full profile. A lot of attempts get the lighting off. This is classic Rembrandt in what we called "short" position, i.e. The light falling on the cheek away from the camera, spilling onto the near cheek in the classic Rembrandt triangle. There is just enough fill (from somewhere, a reflector?) to put the barest amount of detail into the hair. I don't have a "criticism" exactly, just an observation coming from what I was taught, which was that there should be a catchlight in the eye. There is light on his eyelashes, and that makes it interesting, and I keep looking. I have it open in a tab and as big as it will go. There is a reflection of his cheek on the lower part of his eye, but I can see that his gaze is slightly down. If I had made it I might have asked him to raise his gaze just enough to make a catchlight from the keylight, but all that is based on what I was taught a century ago. :| It's a terrific picture! (OK) I do tend to agree with Linda. Had I made it I think I would (in Lightroom) use an adjustment brush to lower the value on his forehead so it's about even with the cheek, but it's also merely a suggestion, as all CC is subjective.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby pop511 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:55 am

Linda/Charles:
"" pp'd for deep shadows ""?
I assume you mean photoshopped?
Great remarks..thx for input
Had a look at how much detail was on the forehead where it meets the background. Can't see any detail there, but move away slightly from edge and you can see skin pores.
Raccoon eyes! damn...So right.
Main exposure done with a single soft box of course. If I had moved him back a few inches the light ratio would have been better.
Don't have studio lights and since pic was done I prefer ( if TTL ) to set speedlight to -1/3rd under. Manual with exposure meter
ed davis

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat May 13, 2017 8:47 am

pop511 wrote:Another fun pic

I love the intensity of this portrait and am happy with the overlighting on his forehead as it seems to add power to the image. I'm on the fence though about the lighting on the back of his head as I think I'd rather see the light fall off and the image fade to black. The little white spots on the background in front of him distract me too, but it's a minor thing.

I'm still processing this and may come back to it, but thank you for posting here! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby pop511 » Sat May 13, 2017 11:41 am

""Raccoon eyes! damn...So right.""
""raise his gaze just enough to make a catchlight from the keylight,""

Had to come back to this

Frankly at the angle of main light, I don't think you will see a catchlight. There is one there. It's on the right side of his pupil. The softbox is directly in front, but at an acute angle
"" lighting on the back of his head as I think I'd rather see the light fall off and the image fade to black.""
It never ceases to amaze me. I do those shots Steve and guess what??
" I don't like that picture as there is no detail behind his/her head"
Not criticizing you, Steve.
A general observation.
ed
ed davis

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Sat May 13, 2017 12:43 pm

pop511 wrote:Linda/Charles:
"" pp'd for deep shadows ""?
I assume you mean photoshopped?
Great remarks..thx for input
Had a look at how much detail was on the forehead where it meets the background. Can't see any detail there, but move away slightly from edge and you can see skin pores.
Raccoon eyes! damn...So right.
Main exposure done with a single soft box of course. If I had moved him back a few inches the light ratio would have been better.
Don't have studio lights and since pic was done I prefer ( if TTL ) to set speedlight to -1/3rd under. Manual with exposure meter

Ed, your setup sounds fine! "PP" is just shorthand for Post Processing. It's not necessarily Photoshop or Lightroom. Any application used to digitally alter a picture file is "PP." I mostly use Lightroom these days but before that I was using Photoshop Elements in various iterations. It's sometimes called "Photoshop Lite" because it does not have the full power of Photoshop but most photographers don't need all that power. Elements has all the key "elements" used mostly by photographers and can work fine as a standalone. It is purchased outright; you don't need a subscription. Lightroom also comes in a standalone that can be purchased. Linda uses different apps but I can't recall which, and it doesn't matter really; there are plenty of workers who shoot jpegs straight from the camera partly because they'd rather spend hours making new pictures than sitting at a computer. :D I'm not sure if you are doing any "post" (more shorthand) but whether you are or not also doesn't matter. I bet I needn't tell you that in analog days there was so much less we could do at all, especially in color. Darkroom tricks such as "dodging" or "burning" were harder to do in color. For one thing it was easy to overdo and get a color shift, and you wouldn't know about it until you wet-processed a print and had to go back and do it again. And again. :S There is a school of digital thought that PP represents "lazy photography," that you should be "getting it right" in the camera. I spent 30-odd years doing my level best to get it right in the camera, but honestly, since discovering digital and the ability to adjust parameters after the fact---I think digital is just awesome! That "Get It Right" school sometimes asserts that "lazy" photographers just shoot willy-nilly and figure "I'll fix it later in post." Indeed, there may be some who do, but I don't. I get it as right as I can in camera, then "righter" ;) in Post (I hope).

pop511 wrote:""Raccoon eyes! damn...So right.""
""raise his gaze just enough to make a catchlight from the keylight,""

Had to come back to this

Frankly at the angle of main light, I don't think you will see a catchlight. There is one there. It's on the right side of his pupil. The softbox is directly in front, but at an acute angle
"" lighting on the back of his head as I think I'd rather see the light fall off and the image fade to black.""
It never ceases to amaze me. I do those shots Steve and guess what??
" I don't like that picture as there is no detail behind his/her head"
Not criticizing you, Steve.
A general observation.
ed

Ed, don't overlook that all "criticism" is subjective. I always try to couch it in "If I had made it" terms. 'Pete' remains a terrific picture! (OK) I think his forehead is a little hot and had I made it I'd take it into Lightroom and try to reduce it but that's me. I bet if you take 10 (or 20 or 200) people into a museum or gallery and ask them what they think of a single picture (painting, photo) you'll get about as many opinions as there are people. Some will absolutely despise it. Some will love it. Some will be "meh," so on and so forth. Something I think I've noticed about [professional critics is that (my perception anyway) they seem to criticize a work more than praise it. Picky picky picky. But I always figure they get paid to criticize. I seriously don't know much about art but I knows what I likes! I likes this pitcher! :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby pop511 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Charles;
Don't mind your critiques in the least. I know you don't live by the "rule book", and that goes for many here.
The type of ignorance I dislike EG:
A picture of my son's wife. Looking to the side and fantasy lights flying around her head. I was told by one member, that is not how you do a portrait.
You know the sort of thing. She should be looking into the lens. Oh please get a life.

I do have Lightroom, but prefer P/S and have been using it since P/S 4
Anyway, jump in next time and kick me with both feet...We can have a bit of fun.. :lol:
ed
ed davis

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Sat May 13, 2017 1:27 pm

pop511 wrote:Charles;
Don't mind your critiques in the least. I know you don't live by the "rule book", and that goes for many here.
The type of ignorance I dislike EG:
A picture of my son's wife. Looking to the side and fantasy lights flying around her head. I was told by one member, that is not how you do a portrait.
You know the sort of thing. She should be looking into the lens. Oh please get a life.

I do have Lightroom, but prefer P/S and have been using it since P/S 4
Anyway, jump in next time and kick me with both feet...We can have a bit of fun.. :lol:
ed

Nah. I don't kick nobody. Really. If I don't care for a picture I usually skip it unless I think I can make a useful suggestion. But "That is not how you do a portrait??!!" :lol: One of the most celebrated portraits the legendary master Yousuf Karsh ever made was of then-equally-legendary cellist Pablo Casals.
Karsh Casals.jpg
Karsh Casals.jpg (16.44 KiB) Viewed 476 times
Maybe not everybody got it, but folks into classical music knew who it was. From the back. :|

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby pop511 » Sat May 13, 2017 2:08 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Said to perfection
ed
ed davis