"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Critic's CornerBaseball Portrait

Portraits and head shots. Learn the finer points of lighting and posing.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Baseball Portrait

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Mon May 08, 2017 9:54 pm

Recent baseball portrait for promotional purposes. Best regards, Ernst
Attachments
IMG_4624 20X16.jpg
Today is the Day, a New Day.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Baseball Portrait

Postby minniev » Mon May 08, 2017 10:25 pm

Though I am not a portrait photographer, I am a veteran baseball mother with a quarter century of experience with one kid, and starting over now with the first year of Little League with the next generation. In my view this is an excellent portrait. The pose/composition, the careful mix of lighting, the gaze with that emphasis on the one eye and its smeared under-eye blacking, the toning of the conversion - all of it is so beautifully done. Whether you're promoting portraits for parents to purchase or selling baseball bats, it's a very nice piece of work. Thank you for sharing it.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby TomCofer » Mon May 08, 2017 10:59 pm

Beautiful shot Ernst!
Glad to see you posting again. :)
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue May 09, 2017 2:01 am

minniev wrote:Though I am not a portrait photographer, I am a veteran baseball mother with a quarter century of experience with one kid, and starting over now with the first year of Little League with the next generation. In my view this is an excellent portrait. The pose/composition, the careful mix of lighting, the gaze with that emphasis on the one eye and its smeared under-eye blacking, the toning of the conversion - all of it is so beautifully done. Whether you're promoting portraits for parents to purchase or selling baseball bats, it's a very nice piece of work. Thank you for sharing it.

What Min said. :thumbup: :clap:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Tue May 09, 2017 2:02 am

I missed your posts as well. I envy your abilities, my friend. I could only wish to have the same passion for portraiture that you do. Unfortunately it isn't in me. :(
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Tue May 09, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks everyone for the reply and comments.

I popped in because I received a email asking me to return and post with new admin folks here. I'm more than happy to share my thoughts and the work I am
doing here at my studio and in my area. The lack of involvement with the members here has had me back off. I have my own facebook page with photographers here
on the Olympic Peninsula, about only 70 members and the sharing of images and comments/post far exceeds what this forum has been doing. For all the members
here on this forum are you just here to lurk? If that is the case then the forum will just continue to be the same, no involvement. If you want to see more of that
involvement everyone here needs to step up to the plate!!!!!

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue May 09, 2017 9:36 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:... For all the members
here on this forum are you just here to lurk? If that is the case then the forum will just continue to be the same, no involvement. If you want to see more of that

I agree, Ernst. But the forum is under new management and a fair number of the newest (and therefore most engaged) members are, shall we say "refugees" from another site. I came by invitation from a friend from that site, and so far I'm pretty involved but I also don't want to look like I am hogging (really). As an individual I can and should only do so much, but yes, the site is awfully quiet which cannot escape anyone's notice. If I knew anyone to invite I'd invite 'em, but they're all over here already. :D

I am liking the site very much. I especially like the (so far) absence of anything resembling trolling or bad manners. I've recently suffered a personal loss that kept me away from a lot of things online and off, but I'm starting to feel more like my pre-loss self. I stepped away from the other site months ago, mostly because of personal issues, and now I'm liking this "clean, well lighted place" so much that it is helping me more than I am helping it! There are some folks here who will be glad to hear that. ;)

I fully understand your position, but I for one hope you'll stick around. Mother Theresa was once asked what she did when she had hundreds in need and only the wherewithal to help one. She is said to have replied, "Help the one." :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Tue May 09, 2017 10:11 pm

Hi Ernst, I'm the one that emailed you. One of the new people :) .

And I was so glad to see another of your fine images. We don't know what became of the people who were here before. We did a survey of everyone who'd ever been enrolled here, and most who responded said they left for lack of activity. The cure for lack of activity is, of course, increased activity! But we want it to be meaningful activity, too. We are trying to rebuild, and activity has picked up in the past two weeks. It won't be quick or easy, and we hope every new member will drag a friend along who loves photography like we do, whether they're pro's or early learners or somewhere in between. People like you are an inspiration to those of us trying to achieve something more.

I hope you'll continue to post here, and help us try to make this a viable forum. We have lots of ideas, and welcome more!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Wed May 10, 2017 2:24 am

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Thanks everyone for the reply and comments.

I popped in because I received a email asking me to return and post with new admin folks here. I'm more than happy to share my thoughts and the work I am
doing here at my studio and in my area. The lack of involvement with the members here has had me back off. I have my own facebook page with photographers here
on the Olympic Peninsula, about only 70 members and the sharing of images and comments/post far exceeds what this forum has been doing. For all the members

Hey Ernst, it's wonderful to see you here and as to the rest blame me.

I came on board to save the site but gave priority to a sick friend leaving the site to the people on it thinking it would survive without me. I was wrong. My friend is stable now, and I know more about running a site than I did in the past so I'm 100% here having left another in good hands. We're committed to making this an amazing place and appreciate your honest words and commitment. I hope to you are as committed and will think to invite your friends as well.

The more the merrier! Thank you again! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Wed May 10, 2017 5:55 pm

Thanks all for the comments.

Steve, I'm hoping that this is your lst name? The one thing I've noticed over the years and photo forums is when the owner is heavily involved there is more involvement. I also think it would be good for the members here to offer their lst name as I remember having to deal with someone named Veil Fly. ;-( Not good for friendly conversations. One of my rules on my facebook page (70 photographers) if you there just to hang out and lurk, they don't last long and I just delete them. Just a thought. Thanks again, Ernst

Return to “Portraits & Head Shots”