Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

People CritiqueMaja... A head shot.

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Maja... A head shot.

Post by Onslow »

Shannon, my MUA asked for sopmething different for Maja in regards to pose etc for her makeup session. This is one I liked from the session.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by TomCofer »

Very nice John!
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck »

Holy crap, John! This is a great shot. There's not much to critique here. Looking at some of your earlier work, this is leaps and bounds above in quality. Awesome.
The only flaw I really see (other than minor editing nitpicks, which I'll mention at the end of this post) is her right eye seems a bit soft. From close observation this is from something done in post than with a camera focus issue as it's isolated to the iris and pupil.

I can assume that it is because the eye was retouched separate from the skin areas, which is normal. To explain exactly what I'm seeing, look at the skin structure detail on the inner part of the eye, next to the nose. There is some great detail going on there, as in the rest of her skin. Now look at the detail of the iris. See how the iris detail quality doesn't match the detail quality of the skin? This incongruity of detail value unfortunately makes the eye stand out noticeably.

Now about the editing nitpicks. I will point this out not because it is considered an error y any means, but rather to show how an image like this would be further edited for commercial use.

This portrait is very much a commercial shot. I can picture this on the magazine cover of Vogue. However, a professional retoucher would work this image to remove minor blemishes, stray hairs, and so on. Told you it was a very minor nitpick as I'm looking at this with a graphic artist's eye now. So, if you feel like pushing your editing skills a bit, this is a great image to do it on.

Overall... superb. This is definitely a portfolio piece.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Facebook : Unitas Photography
Instagram : @unitasphotography
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Onslow »

TomCofer wrote:Very nice John!

Thank you Tom. :)

Duck wrote:Holy crap, John! This is a great shot. There's not much to critique here. Looking at some of your earlier work, this is leaps and bounds above in quality. Awesome.
The only flaw I really see (other than minor editing nitpicks, which I'll mention at the end of this post) is her right eye seems a bit soft. From close observation this is from something done in post than with a camera focus issue as it's isolated to the iris and pupil.

I can assume that it is because the eye was retouched separate from the skin areas, which is normal. To explain exactly what I'm seeing, look at the skin structure detail on the inner part of the eye, next to the nose. There is some great detail going on there, as in the rest of her skin. Now look at the detail of the iris. See how the iris detail quality doesn't match the detail quality of the skin? This incongruity of detail value unfortunately makes the eye stand out noticeably.

Now about the editing nitpicks. I will point this out not because it is considered an error y any means, but rather to show how an image like this would be further edited for commercial use.

This portrait is very much a commercial shot. I can picture this on the magazine cover of Vogue. However, a professional retoucher would work this image to remove minor blemishes, stray hairs, and so on. Told you it was a very minor nitpick as I'm looking at this with a graphic artist's eye now. So, if you feel like pushing your editing skills a bit, this is a great image to do it on.

Overall... superb. This is definitely a portfolio piece.

Thanks Duck. :)
I've attached 2 screen grabs of both eyes at 100%.ie:pixel for pixel. The right eye is sharp as the left. I do treat eye whites and irises different but use the same separate whitening and brightening process. The amounts though are different according to each case. The only other retouching for the eyes was my sharpening routine where I sharpen eyes, nose shadows, mouth, and perhaps jewellery or decorations. If you can't see a difference, I can send the psd file complete for the comparison. :)
In regards to the retouching, I do look at a few of my associates who are more retouchers than photographers. I can't in all honesty I prefer a highly retouched image as you describe. I can see the work in it but I find that overall the feeling left is one of unapproachable perfection whereas I know in real life they aren't like that. So, as I explain to my clients, you won't get Vogue quality retouching as that isn't my style. I like to show people as they are with pimples etc removed and minor cleanups but generally they will receive truer to life images than are available in my area. The people who choose me are people who prefer my style over other locals they could use.
What I mean by the last comment is there are a few photographers around me doing photoshoots now that I taught in beginners classes I've run. They are using actions and weird effects/colours to basically mask problems with captures. My work is individual in nature. To sit at an image for a day or so dodging and burning skin imperfections out isn't my thing. I like "imperfections" in people images. Plastic skin is just something I don't like.... I guess my style is a bit of reality with a touch of contrast and colour.....