Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

People CritiqueGUESS THE LIGHTING- CHALLENGE #1

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
Ed Shapiro
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

GUESS THE LIGHTING- CHALLENGE #1

Post by Ed Shapiro »

Challenge #1

:? OK Gang- let’s go!

Each of these photographs is of very different subjects and poses but the all have something very common as to their lighting. Can anyone explain what the commonality is and why?

Good luck!
Attachments
Sophie Flower Girl.jpg
Western Guy.jpg
Western Guy.jpg (37.54 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
Little Girl in Big Hat.jpg
Little Girl in Big Hat.jpg (25.95 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
Bride formal for pM.jpg

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Onslow »

Hmmm, ok, I'll hazard a guess that the main light is approximately 45 degrees from the the subjects nose.

Nikodian1
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Post by Nikodian1 »

and would the reason be to lift facial shadows around the eye socket area. :|
Jenny

Critique & comments welcome, Love to learn. :photo:

One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photo out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photo out of focus are a style.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck »

...and this is why this will be an interesting and educational challenge. To my untrained eye I would have assumed that there was absolutely nothing similar between each of these images. Specially with image number two thrown in there as part of the collection as that one seems to be far too different from all the others.

Since John mentioned light position in relation to the nose I am now looking at each of these in a whole new way, trying to analyze the group and start thinking outside the box. But as I don't have the necessary portrait lighting vocabulary this one is definitely a stumper for me.

I will definitely like to know what binds these images together but, more importantly, why that commonality was chosen for all these images.

Thanks for this first post Ed, but it's a bit too advanced for me.

:pop: :cheers:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Facebook : Unitas Photography
Instagram : @unitasphotography
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

tsilva
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Post by tsilva »

Guessing all the way - they are all lit by one light only :?

Tony
Tony Silva - Photography Enthusiast

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Bobby Deal »

They all have an on axis or Form fill to help separate and define the 5 planes of the face (the Forehead, Nose, Two Cheeks and Chin) through a ratio balance of highlight AKA shape VS shadow aka Form. Shape exists only in one dimension, it is the outline formed by the highlights of the key light. Form on the other hand exists in three dimensions thus through the subtle graduation of shadow density it allows our shape to take on dimension causing the different structures of the face to take on form.

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

Wind
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Wind »

I'm with Duck on this one the knowledge is too lacking to be guessing they are too random a collection of images. Look forward to Eds answer.

Ed Shapiro
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ed Shapiro »

:D :D I told y’all this is gonna be fun! See! OK- Seriously! Come on gang; don’t give up the ship so easily. This is supposed to be a challenge! OK again- here’s some hints- I owe them to y’all because I threw in lots of “red herrings”! Like what does a formal portrait of a bride have to do with a cowboy and what the heck does a little cute kid have to do with any of those subjects- Nothing! So…forget about the costumes- I threw them in to distract y’all! Another hint- the most important aspect of any lighting is the position of the main light in relation to the subject- that’s why cinematographers call it the KEY light! So this puzzle is based on the key light therefore, it doesn’t matter how may other lights are in the setup- one light or 6 lights- the answer is in the main or key light! So for now, ignore the fill source, any kickers or background lights. The basic goal of a good classic portrait lighting is; no matter how many light it takes to achieve the results we want, the final image should look like there is one main directional source- all the rest are whipped cream on the cake!

Here’s the good part that will come out of this game once the answer is revealed! Too bad we don’t have the finances to gift the “winner” with an expensive camera or even a gift card from MacDonald’s* but the lesson will even be more valuable! Once the crux of the matter is grasped y’all will be advanced classical portrait people- at least well on your way. I am quite sure that Bobby knows exactly what I am talking about- it’s in all of his work! The answer is just too simple- we are all serious about our photography and are worried about all kinds of complex lightings. Don’t even consider the type of lighting equipment because the answer has very little to do with whether you are using a giant soft-box or a Fresnel spotlight!

Use the KIS principle (keep it simple). I never use the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid) because ain’t nobody around here is stupid!

Hey! Are we having fun yet- or what? Much more to come!

Ed :devil: :lol:

*Hey- Did you know that Macdonald’s is taking 20 calories off of its BIG MAC! That’s like taking 6 volts off of the electric chair!

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Bobby Deal »

Well Ex I am sure I do know where you are going with this so I will let someone else answer but will toss this out there. In my work the only light that is ever aimed directly at the subject is the fill light when using on axis form fill. The keylight is always...................... :D

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

Ed Shapiro
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ed Shapiro »

Bobby! Could the secret word be........"feathered" OK- That's part of it, but there is more! Even more basic!