Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

People Critique'1940's days 2019'

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'1940's days 2019'

Post by davechinn » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:03 pm

Last year (2018) I attended the 1940's days @ the Cincinnati Lunken Municipal Airport. This years (2019) was held at the Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal. The exhibits were similar to the previous year but not as excitable. Maybe the location was an issue. Here are a couple of images with a different twist to my normal post processing. Not sure how these are going to come across, but there is only one way to find out.
Attachments
DEC_2066w.jpg
Girls of the 40's
Girls Girls Girls Girls DEC_2070w.jpg
'Girls, Girls, Girls, Girls of the 40's
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:29 am

composition on both are well done.....would have liked them to be looking at you in both..a for processing it's your choice Dave.....a bit washed out for me it seems....just an opinion ya know

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:56 pm

davechinn wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:03 pm
Last year (2018) I attended the 1940's days @ the Cincinnati Lunken Municipal Airport. This years (2019) was held at the Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal. The exhibits were similar to the previous year but not as excitable. Maybe the location was an issue. Here are a couple of images with a different twist to my normal post processing. Not sure how these are going to come across, but there is only one way to find out.
These are great Dave. I love the hand-tinted look and the vintage poses/compositional choices. Your photos from these events always appeal to me, the era had such a distinct look and mood, and you do well capturing it.

Only idea from my viewpoint would be to try and hold onto a little more detail in the white skirts, they take up so much space and are so white that they sort of pull away from the wonderful colors and details in the women. But in truth, it was common for cameras in that era to overexpose whites. So it's authentic for sure!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:05 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:29 am
composition on both are well done.....would have liked them to be looking at you in both..a for processing it's your choice Dave.....a bit washed out for me it seems....just an opinion ya know

Thanks Frank, as one almost always preferring candid shots, I do understand and in this case may have worked much better. Too late now. Processing is a bit washed out, but I'm still in the juvenile phase and really may never have a satisfied solution. I will continue for an attempted improvement tho, at least for awhile.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:17 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:56 pm
davechinn wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:03 pm
These are great Dave. I love the hand-tinted look and the vintage poses/compositional choices. Your photos from these events always appeal to me, the era had such a distinct look and mood, and you do well capturing it.

Only idea from my viewpoint would be to try and hold onto a little more detail in the white skirts, they take up so much space and are so white that they sort of pull away from the wonderful colors and details in the women. But in truth, it was common for cameras in that era to overexpose whites. So it's authentic for sure!

Thanks Minnie, experimentation is what keeps me out of trouble these days. The processing was an attempt for something different and to fit the 40's theme if you will. I really do like photographing this time era. Sometimes I wonder if maybe I would have preferred growing up during that time. More practice will be needed, I have made attempts with some of my other street portraits to see how they would work. Some do and some don't. I'll get around to posting some that I have completed at some point. I'm glad that these appeal to you. I can understand it's not for most. (?)
Dave

David Alan Harvey

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:24 pm

really neat work Dave, looks like right out of the 40s to me for sure.