It saddens me to forward the news that our good friend and fellow photographer, Matt Quinn, has passed.
As some of you may know, he had been battling cancer for a while and was on his way to recovery.
Please take a moment to remember him in your prayers.
"Sometimes imagination is no more than randomness applied." —Piet Francke

People Critique'YE OLDE SALTE'

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'YE OLDE SALTE'

Post by davechinn » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:52 pm

This image is a friend (old shipmate) from my Navy days. This was taken in June 2008 and I just recently re-processed it. I'm starting a collection of veterans wearing a military ball cap of some sort, but haven't decided what to do with them once a nice nice have been collected. Maybe a photo book? Enjoy and critique is in order since it is in the People Critique section.
Attachments
Terry DSC_2821 B&W #2w.jpg
'YE OLDE SALTE' (Terry)
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:22 am

cool work - if these guys know each other, a photobook for them would be a gift that would be super precious. If they don't know each other, a photobook of them for You would be super precious. Yeah... I am thinking a photobook regardless would be awesome!

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:25 am

davechinn wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:52 pm
This image is a friend (old shipmate) from my Navy days. This was taken in June 2008 and I just recently re-processed it. I'm starting a collection of veterans wearing a military ball cap of some sort, but haven't decided what to do with them once a nice nice have been collected. Maybe a photo book? Enjoy and critique is in order since it is in the People Critique section.
Cool shot and processing, and YES to a book or some other kind of collection. A calendar?

It is a little dark to me, even with my overbright monitor, though I have no trouble seeing details on the monitor - it might require a touch of brightening in print, depending on how you go about it, though.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:43 am

Just my impressions..you know the look you want. The carrier stands out too much on the cap as does the blur, glow on his left ear and hair....both of those things draw way from his face for me Dave so mitigate as you see fit.........

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:16 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:22 am
cool work - if these guys know each other, a photobook for them would be a gift that would be super precious. If they don't know each other, a photobook of them for You would be super precious. Yeah... I am thinking a photobook regardless would be awesome!

Thanks Piet !!! Some, but not all would know each other. As it stands for now, I have some that I don't even know. So I'm undetermined on where to go with this project that may take some time to fulfill. I would prefer to have at least 20. However, it would have more of a sentimental value if my chosen subjects knew one another. I appreciate your comments of encouragement with more ideas to consider.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:29 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:25 am
davechinn wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:52 pm
Cool shot and processing, and YES to a book or some other kind of collection. A calendar?

It is a little dark to me, even with my overbright monitor, though I have no trouble seeing details on the monitor - it might require a touch of brightening in print, depending on how you go about it, though.

Thanks Minnie !!! A calendar? Yes, something I never considered. An excellent idea to keep my head spinning.

As you know, I process to the dark side and I agree this one is and others have been as well. In most cases, I print a 4x6 test photo to determine the proper print exposure I prefer prior to any large print. That may be a backwards way of doing things, but I think it gives me more control of what I am exactly wanting since I run on the darker side. I do agree with your comments and I have always had an issue with exposure. Thats just me though.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:36 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:43 am
Just my impressions..you know the look you want. The carrier stands out too much on the cap as does the blur, glow on his left ear and hair....both of those things draw way from his face for me Dave so mitigate as you see fit.........

Thanks Frank !!! Absolutely agree, I have made some subtle corrections in those mentioned areas. I appreciate you pointing them out, I would have left it as is if you hadn't mentioned it.
Dave

David Alan Harvey