"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

People Critique'One Night in Mexico'

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: 'One Night in Mexico'

Post by davechinn » Tue May 29, 2018 1:36 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 4:11 am
Dave this is a challenge, I can tell. I know how difficult stage lighting can be..The grain bothers me most on the face of the nearest guy. The other guy is more hampered by shadows. The blur is a little confusing but may be better than your alternatives. This is one I’m gonna ask you if you’d be willing to share the original. Maybe we can help more if we can see where you started from.

Yes I agree sometimes, or at most times, stage lighting can be a challenge along with other difficulties. The grain bothers me as well and while I tried a clean up I was not very successful.
The blur was an experi ... mental issue. Try something different, throw it out there and see where it lands, if at all. I have no problem sharing the original and do think it would be a challenge for those who would be up for it. Thanks for the suggestion Minnie, I look forward to seeing any results. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wy5quddwse1t ... Eblka?dl=0
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Tue May 29, 2018 1:41 pm

Not sure why the RAW file is brighter than the JPEG file. I went back and opened them both up in photo shop and both have the same exposure. Either way, they are there. Sorry if I confused anyone.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:03 pm

davechinn wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:36 pm
minniev wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 4:11 am
Dave this is a challenge, I can tell. I know how difficult stage lighting can be..The grain bothers me most on the face of the nearest guy. The other guy is more hampered by shadows. The blur is a little confusing but may be better than your alternatives. This is one I’m gonna ask you if you’d be willing to share the original. Maybe we can help more if we can see where you started from.

Yes I agree sometimes, or at most times, stage lighting can be a challenge along with other difficulties. The grain bothers me as well and while I tried a clean up I was not very successful.
The blur was an experi ... mental issue. Try something different, throw it out there and see where it lands, if at all. I have no problem sharing the original and do think it would be a challenge for those who would be up for it. Thanks for the suggestion Minnie, I look forward to seeing any results. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wy5quddwse1t ... Eblka?dl=0
Dave
Well, after working with the picture from the raw file, I have to say your result was better than anything I could come up with. Lighting of entertainment venues is one of the most difficult challenges I know of in photography. Add that to the clutter of electronic equipment, the backgrounds, and the milling about of viewers and you have a photographic horror show.
Attachments
dave.jpg
davec.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:14 pm

Minnie, I appreciate your honesty in knowing the task at hand. Your results in the color version was not something I wasn't expecting, but is rather interesting and may give me some incentive for future similarities. I think your B&W version shows excellent results with what you were wanting to achieve. I do believe the grain in this image is beyond repair and will just have to accept it as such. However, for me when I was in the early stages of processing this image I had a vision in mind. I was actually working on another image (the base player) and got off task to find this one to challenge myself for a more dramatic effect by adding blur and shadows to certain areas of the image. Always looking for ways to create more of a dramatic image and this was one I thought was a good candidate for practice but the grain absolutely destroys it IMO. I do appreciate your efforts and do think it was worth it to try for improvements. I suppose what I'm trying to say is, we all have different ways of approaching an image with different results as shown in comparison from yours to mine. I personally don't think one is better than the other just different results in the same image. It all boils down to what each individual wants with the final results. This is the one I was working on prior to distraction.
Dave
Attachments
DEC_3592w B&W.jpg
'The Mexican'

David Alan Harvey

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:25 am

davechinn wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 2:26 pm
Took this in 2015 while in Mexico. Two of a three man band at an outside venue at night, with only stage lighting available, which created grain/noise because of the high ISO. I don't care much for the noise but I'm willing to accept it. I cleaned it up best as possible without it starting to have an unpleasant appeal. I masked in a very subtle cloud background, added some fog in the lower foreground along with my normal dark procedure. I also added a gaussian blur to the center area of the image only to create some glow. Opinions and any suggestions? Welcomed !!!
Dave
I have to say I hate it and I like it at the same time. I need to come back to it to figure out why. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:27 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:25 am
davechinn wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 2:26 pm
Took this in 2015 while in Mexico. Two of a three man band at an outside venue at night, with only stage lighting available, which created grain/noise because of the high ISO. I don't care much for the noise but I'm willing to accept it. I cleaned it up best as possible without it starting to have an unpleasant appeal. I masked in a very subtle cloud background, added some fog in the lower foreground along with my normal dark procedure. I also added a gaussian blur to the center area of the image only to create some glow. Opinions and any suggestions? Welcomed !!!
Dave
I have to say I hate it and I like it at the same time. I need to come back to it to figure out why. S-

Steve, I totally understand, but I don't understand how that is even possible, but really, I do understand !!!
Dave

David Alan Harvey

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:39 pm

Really like this solo shot, Dave. Intense concentration, good light on the face to accentuate the dour expression, and the tones throughout capture the mournful melodies of a few too many tequilas past midnight. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin