“The only way you'll find out if you 'have it in you' is to get to work and see if you do.” —Cheryl Strayed

Critic's Corner'MoonShadow' (Street Portrait)

Portraits and head shots. Learn the finer points of lighting and posing.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
davechinn
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'MoonShadow' (Street Portrait)

Postby davechinn » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:19 pm

I caught this one on the streets of Louisville, Ky while attending the annual Saint James Court Art Show this past October. My reasoning for the title, he reminded me of Cat Stevens and MoonShadow was the first thing that entered my mind, so I stuck with it. I know, he doesn't look like Cat Stevens, but ...
Dave
Attachments
Moonshadow DEC_3924 B&W #2w.jpg
'MoonShadow'

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: 'MoonShadow' (Street Portrait)

Postby minniev » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:25 pm

davechinn wrote:I caught this one on the streets of Louisville, Ky while attending the annual Saint James Court Art Show this past October. My reasoning for the title, he reminded me of Cat Stevens and MoonShadow was the first thing that entered my mind, so I stuck with it. I know, he doesn't look like Cat Stevens, but ...
Dave

Excellent dark "Dave Chinn" portrait, and as a Cat Stevens fan of long ago (back when he actually was Cat Stevens), I understand the connection and love the title.

Here's what I really like about this one that's a little different from your standard "look": it's softer and not as gritty. It really works well for this image. The catchlight is terrific and we find it on first look, which connects us to the subject.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby davechinn » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:21 pm

minniev wrote:
davechinn wrote:I caught this one on the streets of Louisville, Ky while attending the annual Saint James Court Art Show this past October. My reasoning for the title, he reminded me of Cat Stevens and MoonShadow was the first thing that entered my mind, so I stuck with it. I know, he doesn't look like Cat Stevens, but ...
Dave

Excellent dark "Dave Chinn" portrait, and as a Cat Stevens fan of long ago (back when he actually was Cat Stevens), I understand the connection and love the title.

Here's what I really like about this one that's a little different from your standard "look": it's softer and not as gritty. It really works well for this image. The catchlight is terrific and we find it on first look, which connects us to the subject.

Thanks Minnie !!! Glad you understand the connection and while I was totally disappointed in Cat Stevens for the name change, I still love his music.

I agree, a softer look was much more appealing for this individual. Actually, this was my second attempt, where the first was the gritty/grunge look. I didn't want it and never paid much attention until the end of my processing and was forced to start over. I have to confess, the catchlight is an added feature. For some reason there was none showing or it was so subtle that I felt they had to be added. I think I had a discussion with Steve on adding catchlights recently. Thank you for honesty and comments.
Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:15 am

I like the look of this, somewhat soft somewhat sharp and perfectly moody. This is an album cover waiting to happen! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby davechinn » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:11 pm

St3v3M wrote:I like the look of this, somewhat soft somewhat sharp and perfectly moody. This is an album cover waiting to happen! S-

Thanks Steve !!! I felt it was necessary to take a slightly different approach with this one, he was so much younger than some the past subjects. Although, I did go overboard with my first edit and saw where I was headed prior to finishing, so I started all over for these results. Nothing like being blindsided by ones own process.
Dave

Return to “Portraits & Head Shots”