“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseThe Last Stand

Any image that is up close and in your face.
- True macros, extreme close ups, anything that brings our small smallest subjects bigger than life.
Bob Yankle
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

The Last Stand

Postby Bob Yankle » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:57 pm

...... before being razed and plowed into the earth. I was attracted by all this design-work against the sky. Added a touch of Luminar for PC, AI filter.
Attachments
Spires.jpg

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: The Last Stand

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:06 pm

Love it! Restful! Evocative! Really very well executed! (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Postby Bob Yankle » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:11 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Love it! Restful! Evocative! Really very well executed! (OK)
Thank you, Chuck. As with many things in this part of the world, one has to be in the right place at the right time. This was caught just one week before the farmer leveled the field, getting ready to plant the next year's corn crop.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby minniev » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:34 pm

Bob Yankle wrote:...... before being razed and plowed into the earth. I was attracted by all this design-work against the sky. Added a touch of Luminar for PC, AI filter.

Very nice executioin - sharply detailed image of a simple subject, nice use of texture to give it depth and a more artistic and finished look. I like the subdued color palette too. All the elements fit well together.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Postby Bob Yankle » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:58 pm

minniev wrote:Very nice execution - sharply detailed image of a simple subject, nice use of texture to give it depth and a more artistic and finished look. I like the subdued color palette too. All the elements fit well together.

Thank you Minniev ...... and like you, I thought the color palette was wonderful to work with (perhaps a subdued version of Navy blue and gold which is near and dear to my heart).

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:05 am

Bob Yankle wrote:... and like you, I thought the color palette was wonderful to work with (perhaps a subdued version of Navy blue and gold which is near and dear to my heart).

There was something subtle about the image that was bothering me. I like the texture but it was that 'just-something' I couldn't quite figure out until I read this, then out of curiosity I ran your image again the Adobe Color Wheel and came up with this.
-
Color Mood 1.JPG

Curious, I opened the image in Lightroom and used the HSL Targeted Adjustment Tool to identify the color of the cornstalks. I ended up pushing the Luminosity of Orange to +100 and found that subtle difference to be what I was missing. I tried Yellow as well but felt it made the image too light and drifted from the intended mood of the original too much. I wonder if this is more what you were looking for? S-
-
Color Mood 2.JPG
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Postby Bob Yankle » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:22 pm

Thank you for the color explanation, Steve. I was going more for the silhouette-like definition of the stalks against a wan Fall sky, than an artful display of color hues. My workflow almost always includes a stop at the HSL section, so I was content with color selections. The brown hues were telling .... this field was about one week shy of being plowed into the ground for plant fodder.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Bob Yankle wrote:Thank you for the color explanation, Steve. I was going more for the silhouette-like definition of the stalks against a wan Fall sky, than an artful display of color hues. My workflow almost always includes a stop at the HSL section, so I was content with color selections. The brown hues were telling .... this field was about one week shy of being plowed into the ground for plant fodder.

It's a beautiful image and really fun to work with. Thank you for that! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Macro & Close-up”