"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Member's ShowcaseA poor mans Macro

Any image that is up close and in your face.
- True macros, extreme close ups, anything that brings our small smallest subjects bigger than life.
TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: A poor mans Macro

Postby TomCofer » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:39 pm

PLEASE NOTE:
I removed several of my posts from this thread that were missing photos. When we changed servers, we lost a lot of data. I hope in the near future to add some additional photos here.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:54 am

TomCofer wrote:I gained an interest in Macro & Close-up photography before I gained a budget that could afford it. I learned the hard way that cheap extension tubes (the ones that do not have contacts to adjust the aperture) are a waste of money. For those that only want to play with macro occasionally or those who don't want to spend a lot of money, I'd suggest trying out a Raynox 250. It's basically a lens that attaches to the filter threads of your regular lens. It has it's quirks, but it's cheap (under $80) and it works. I usually attach it to a cheap 55-250mm that I bought. It won't give you award winning photographs but it does let you explore the macro world a bit.

Here are some shots that I took with the 55-250mm at it's minimum focusing range and/or the Raynox.

I've thought about macro photography in the past but the setup always seemed too expensive. This is a great overview. Thank you! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:01 am

There's something about that purple flower that I really love, is it a flower or a sea anemone? I love it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:36 pm

St3v3M wrote:There's something about that purple flower that I really love, is it a flower or a sea anemone? I love it! S-

Tom, I love it too. I just went back and scrolled through all of them again. Each and every one is great, and it made me stop and think about the tools we use. I always like to say that cameras are like hammers; any hammer will drive a nail. Really good tools are great to have, and they often make the job easier, fit better in the hand, and that's all nice if you can afford it. Another thing I like to say is that there are always workarounds. There's usually a way to make a tool do something beyond its design specs. "Macro" is most commonly defined as photographing something at 1:1 or greater; just making something life-size or bigger than life-size. From the get-go with a pocket P&S I loved the built-in macro focusing. Beyond that you can almost always crop. My Sony RX10 close-focuses at all focal lengths without having to switch into "macro mode." It's always in macro mode. I love that. I could add the Raynox which would get even closer so I wouldn't have to crop. I am very dedicated to the KISS principle, using compact cameras with fixed zooms and not wishing to schlep more stuff (been there, done that), but I always have a little bag with spare charged batteries, cards, lens wipe, remote and so forth, so the Raynox would not add much weight or bulk and is obviously far better than a set of diopters (they are only center sharp). Ya done good, Tom! :thanks:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Return to “Macro & Close-up”