"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Abstract Critique"PT Visit"

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

"PT Visit"

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:37 pm

Took the time to visit Port Townsend, WA about a week ago. Whenever I do I always find new things to look at.
Attachments
IMG_6396 BWT 20X24.jpg
IMG_6396 BWT 20X24.jpg (186.24 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
Today is the Day, a New Day.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by TomCofer » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:40 pm

Interesting shot Ernst. It leaves me wanting to see more of it.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Bobby Deal » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:16 am

TomCofer wrote:Interesting shot Ernst. It leaves me wanting to see more of it.

I agree the image create intrigue and leaves unanswered questions. I do find the tilted perspective a little disconcerting on this one but that is completely a personal and subjective observation.

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:29 pm

Thanks for the comments.

Yesterday's visit 12/13/14
Attachments
IMG_0042 BWT 20X24.jpg
IMG_0042 BWT 20X24.jpg (194.93 KiB) Viewed 1320 times

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:58 pm

One more from yesterday. 12/13/14
Attachments
IMG_7053 BWT 20X24.jpg
IMG_7053 BWT 20X24.jpg (165.29 KiB) Viewed 1320 times

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:20 pm

Image 1- I like that you are continuing to explore architectural abstract a la Charles Sheeler. Unlike Bobby, I rather like the strong angled composition, (sorry Bobby ;)) . On first view I wasn't crazy about the mast being in the image. I don't know if it's the overall flow of angles being too similar or that it bisects the building in an awkward manner. I think I would much rather the image be about the building alone. There is a sheer beauty in its simplicity within your composition, and rather phallic at that. The tight crop at top gives it a more masculine impression. Another suggestion would be to bring the side (and maybe the window?) into zone 2 or 3 so it doesn't dissappear into the black of the background but that could just be a monitor thing.

Image 2 - This is a more complex composition than I normally see you do and I think the amount of textures in the subjects may be influencing this outlook. I really love how the placement of the flag and chair splits the view with the trellis being the unifying structure that connects them. I especially like the way the plant just barges into that diagonal line (although on my screen part of the plant is lost in the dark of the window framing.) A point I try to keep in mind with my illustration work is this; in the overall composition if an element breaks in (or out), or is peeking from behind something, that act should appear to be obvious and deliberate. For me there is a technical as well as an artistic reason but one that influences how I look at images. Two examples come to mind here; the flag and the table. I would like to have seen all of the flag in the frame or a more obvious crop, not just that tiny corner peeking out. Same with the table, either out of the frame or a more obvious intrusion into it. Again, that is just me and the reality is that ąs a photographer there is only so much influence you can have (or care too invest) into a found scene. Overall I like the presentation but not necessarily your strongest work.

Image 3 - For me, this is the least favorable one but it has potential if you are willing to give it a second go ahead. Although it's my least favorite it's the one I studied longest as I tried to understand what exactly wasn't working for me. I think first is the overall tonal value being too far into the blacks. Again, maybe a one step shift of the blacks into zone 2 may help. I'll also point out the upper top of the bow in respect to my previous personal peeve; all in or a more purposeful crop. That said, I was challenged by the leading lines all coming into the center of the image as they do. I can imagine it will throw some people off, specially with that light triangle piece placed into the upper left corner being such a strong element. It was that triangle that made me think the overall problem for me is the darkness of the lower half. Then, it could also be that I am more used to your subtler tone work with your stunning portraits.

I am glad to see you here Ernst. I really enjoy your work and I would have hated to be deprived of being able to view them because of those jerks over 'there'. I've said it publicly before that your work is a strong motivation for me to push forward in being able to control the subtleties of your portrait work (tone, composition, posing, lighting, etc.) it's also a great motivator for me to find that personal project that really captures my heart like your "off the street" portraits do yours.

Okay, enough gushing. Welcome to photoMENTORIS Ernst.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Onslow » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:57 am

Duck wrote:I am glad to see you here Ernst. I really enjoy your work and I would have hated to be deprived of being able to view them because of those jerks over 'there'. I've said it publicly before that your work is a strong motivation for me to push forward in being able to control the subtleties of your portrait work (tone, composition, posing, lighting, etc.) it's also a great motivator for me to find that personal project that really captures my heart like your "off the street" portraits do yours.

Okay, enough gushing. Welcome to photoMENTORIS Ernst.

Ditto that.... :)

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:39 pm

Thanks for the indepth comments Duck, I really appreciate your time in doing so.

As you know, I do enjoy a more graphic image to most of my work and I can be a really tight ass when it comes to cropping, as I've done here with these three images. I try an give myself alittle more room at times when photographing which allows me to come in a crop out things that distract my eye.
I also tend to adjust my images to a darker side, sometimes I want a rich black and at times I want to show more detail in those shadows. It really depends on what my gut says. I'm always looking for a rich print. ;-) Thanks again, Ernst

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Rather than starting a new subject each time I share a "PT Visit" image I'll just keep posting to this thread.

The next time we see a date with this successtion it will be 1/2/2103, we'll all be dead and gone. ;-)

No cropping with this image, full frame. Used an Antique filter in the NIK Silver Effects softwear.
Attachments
IMG_7090 Antique 16X20.jpg
IMG_7090 Antique 16X20.jpg (215.41 KiB) Viewed 1303 times

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:42 pm

From a few weeks back.
Attachments
IMG_0079 BWT 16X20.jpg