Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: A Feather Dropped From the Swamp Geisha's Fan

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:32 am

Duck wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:36 am
The telling is in the storyteller. You either want to tell the story or not. Some invent stories, others tell stories that already exist. I think you're the latter. :=D

Anyhow, here is a rendition of a "cleaned up" version of your image. Hope you don't mind.
Geisha's-feather.jpg
Of course I don’t mind, it’s beautiful! And far nicer than my wrinkled “found” version.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:31 pm

Of course this conversation plays into the subject of ethos regarding picture taking versus picture making. As with anything else, there's always two sides to the coin.

However, you do have a wonderful eye for the use of textures and is love to see what you can apply here. There are so many possibilities. :thumbup:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:19 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:31 pm
Of course this conversation plays into the subject of ethos regarding picture taking versus picture making. As with anything else, there's always two sides to the coin.

However, you do have a wonderful eye for the use of textures and is love to see what you can apply here. There are so many possibilities. :thumbup:
Since I enjoy both picture taking and picture making, it is something else that prevents me from creating perfect images like you've created here.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:10 pm

Just for the heck of it, I made this with a prettier leaf covering up the tattered version and the tiny cypress knee that caused all the formations in the ice.
Attachments
fake feather (1 of 1).jpg

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:23 pm

For me there are two captivating elements in this image. The first is the more obviously strongest element of color contrast between the red and the blue. The second, and more impressive of the two, is the ice formation. That is a stunning find. In particular, I love the radiating lines that just pull the eye into the central subject. One can argue that yes, indeed, the leaf can be replaced without altering the composition but the ice definitely can not. It's that ice formation that really pulls everything together.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:53 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:23 pm
For me there are two captivating elements in this image. The first is the more obviously strongest element of color contrast between the red and the blue. The second, and more impressive of the two, is the ice formation. That is a stunning find. In particular, I love the radiating lines that just pull the eye into the central subject. One can argue that yes, indeed, the leaf can be replaced without altering the composition but the ice definitely can not. It's that ice formation that really pulls everything together.
Both those things were why I shot the image. The ice formation was exactly what I went out looking for on the first morning with bright blue sky since the freeze, a nice geometric accessible by lying on the bridge and shooting straight down. The leaf, though a little faded and tattered from the storms, was obviously from the only tree of that type in this part of the swamp, my Shy Tree who burst into flame the week after Thanksgiving. It had somehow got stuck on the little cypress knob that protruded from the ice and caused the starburst ice formation. It was contrasty on the old color wheel even if it wasn't as shiny as it used to be. So the story has context for me that it doesn't have for most viewers - my gobsmacked first view of the tree, my fun in shooting it, my eventual discovery of a route to get to it, my reverie beneath it while she dropped leaves around me. These are personal context that cause the tattered leaf to be my preferred version. I'm a sentimental old thing.

Now the second version, my plastic surgery one, retains the spirit of the memory but not the memory itself. The Ice is definitely the strongest element, in that cool shape. And of course I can shrink or enlarge the new leaf, turn it about, blend it differently, mess with the shadow some more, clean up more specks. etc. I don't feel guilty or bad about fetching that shiny new leaf, just disconnected from its story.

Who can understand the human mind?....

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:13 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:53 pm
I understand completely. ;)

Those of us who have followed your journey of collecting these images, we can see that connection. What I like to offer are alternative views, those that are from an "outsider's" viewpoint, in order to let others explore possibilities. Hopefully I didn't come on too strong (I know I can sometimes).

In series, your version is perfect. It is the last chapter in the story. But it's only a full story when seen in concert with the earlier images. That's why curating a collection can be difficult, as you are already familiar with. As a standalone image, it does lack a little "something," as you have mentioned. So in actuality, you can get multiple uses from this single image. An art piece you can clean up and "make pretty" and a narrative image to go with others in this series. All the more to really appreciate this image. I'm more impressed. :yay:

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:20 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:13 pm
minniev wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:53 pm
I understand completely. ;)

Those of us who have followed your journey of collecting these images, we can see that connection. What I like to offer are alternative views, those that are from an "outsider's" viewpoint, in order to let others explore possibilities. Hopefully I didn't come on too strong (I know I can sometimes).

In series, your version is perfect. It is the last chapter in the story. But it's only a full story when seen in concert with the earlier images. That's why curating a collection can be difficult, as you are already familiar with. As a standalone image, it does lack a little "something," as you have mentioned. So in actuality, you can get multiple uses from this single image. An art piece you can clean up and "make pretty" and a narrative image to go with others in this series. All the more to really appreciate this image. I'm more impressed. :yay:
Duck, you never come on too strong to suit me! I appreciate your honesty, and your amazing skill and knowledge. more than you can imagine! And the wonderful thing about digital is the capacity for multiple versions to tell different kinds of stories.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:35 pm

I am following this series with great interest. I love all of them! But indeed the key element is that deeply etched nearly black ice, and I just went back and reread each post, looked carefully at each picture, and I can't see where anyone has remarked on the earlier fallen red geisha leaves now under the ice but still shining forth. They contribute a violet hue where they come through, blending with the startling reflected-sky-blue of the ice. I'm only remarking on them because I think they are an important part of the overall picture but no one else seems to have noticed, at least not mentioned. :angel:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:46 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:35 pm
I'm only remarking on them because I think they are an important part of the overall picture but no one else seems to have noticed, at least not mentioned. :angel:
Yeah, I definitely noticed them. Just wasn't part of the conversation, that's all. :thumbup: