The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

Abstract CritiqueA Feather Dropped From the Swamp Geisha's Fan

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: A Feather Dropped From the Swamp Geisha's Fan

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:47 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:35 pm
I am following this series with great interest. I love all of them! But indeed the key element is that deeply etched nearly black ice, and I just went back and reread each post, looked carefully at each picture, and I can't see where anyone has remarked on the earlier fallen red geisha leaves now under the ice but still shining forth. They contribute a violet hue where they come through, blending with the startling reflected-sky-blue of the ice. I'm only remarking on them because I think they are an important part of the overall picture but no one else seems to have noticed, at least not mentioned. :angel:
Yes, the lost leaves embedded in the ice are a big attraction for me. There will be more of them in my ice series.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:02 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:03 pm
This single red leaf was all that was left of the Shy Tree's flamboyant foliage, and it got caught in an interesting ice formation so I had to try with it. I'm not satisfied, so if you have ideas, please share or show an edit. Maybe a crop from the bottom? I dunno.
My reaction: pixie hat, not a perfect leaf, so leave the leaf as is. No effort at a silk purse. The ice is too dark for me (!); can it be lightened up? I would leave the framing as is or do it square, but keep the leaf in the center. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:25 am

minniev wrote:
This single red leaf was all that was left of the Shy Tree's flamboyant foliage, and it got caught in an interesting ice formation so I had to try with it. I'm not satisfied, so if you have ideas, please share or show an edit. Maybe a crop from the bottom? I dunno.
I love this, and please keep the leaf as-is, but the moment I saw this I knew I loved it but wondered if it needed more. S-
Attachments
feather (1 of 1) ST H324-25 S254-25.jpg
feather (1 of 1) ST H324-25 S254-25.jpg (307.93 KiB) Viewed 303 times
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:29 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:25 am
minniev wrote:
I love this, and please keep the leaf as-is, but the moment I saw this I knew I loved it but wondered if it needed more. S-
Thank you for jazzing up the crinkled little “found” leaf. She look more impressive.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones