Abstract CritiqueA Limb Fell On It

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

A Limb Fell On It

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:36 pm

This is strictly as shot, looking straight down into the ice of the swamp. I don't know what else to say about it, but welcome any comments.
Attachments
a limb fell down (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:21 am

It looks like a photomicrograph of pollen! I like it because it is overall interesting, but I also think it might answer to a charge of "busy." There may be too much stuff in the frame to capture the eye. I like the shapes and colors, especially those ethereal blues, and the title tells me where the wood chunks and sawdust came from, but I wonder if the ice chunks aren't the real picture and the wood more of a distraction. The more I look the more I wish the wood weren't there, just pure ice of many colors, like jewelry on velvet...
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:37 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:21 am
It looks like a photomicrograph of pollen! I like it because it is overall interesting, but I also think it might answer to a charge of "busy." There may be too much stuff in the frame to capture the eye. I like the shapes and colors, especially those ethereal blues, and the title tells me where the wood chunks and sawdust came from, but I wonder if the ice chunks aren't the real picture and the wood more of a distraction. The more I look the more I wish the wood weren't there, just pure ice of many colors, like jewelry on velvet...
I do know what you mean Chuck!

I couldn't find any more of the odd whitish spots in the ice, and I couldn't find a way to frame this set without the limb, so as is my practice, I Embraced The Distraction. I'm not sure what made the spots, but I'm hoping to go out early tomorrow and see if there are new ones. I've found that when we have ice for several days, the ice changes each day, with new shapes, forms, colors and designs.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:57 pm

minniev wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:37 am
I do know what you mean Chuck!

I couldn't find any more of the odd whitish spots in the ice, and I couldn't find a way to frame this set without the limb, so as is my practice, I Embraced The Distraction. I'm not sure what made the spots, but I'm hoping to go out early tomorrow and see if there are new ones. I've found that when we have ice for several days, the ice changes each day, with new shapes, forms, colors and designs.
Oh ho, so the spots are in the ice! I thought they were on top. Maybe they are air bubbles? I love the colors! You know my fundamental philosophy, "Ya shoots what's there." You'd think that 22 years in Wisconsin would make me an ice-pert but I ain't. When we first got there from northern California we were somewhat intrigued by the concept of ice fishing but never once tried it. I bet if you sit out on ice contemplating a hole with a tip-up you see things like frozen air bubbles. I think ice is something of a living thing, changing all the time owing to stresses on the crystal structure, which (if they are air bubbles) would explain the tortured shapes.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:06 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:57 pm

Oh ho, so the spots are in the ice! I thought they were on top. Maybe they are air bubbles? I love the colors! You know my fundamental philosophy, "Ya shoots what's there." You'd think that 22 years in Wisconsin would make me an ice-pert but I ain't. When we first got there from northern California we were somewhat intrigued by the concept of ice fishing but never once tried it. I bet if you sit out on ice contemplating a hole with a tip-up you see things like frozen air bubbles. I think ice is something of a living thing, changing all the time owing to stresses on the crystal structure, which (if they are air bubbles) would explain the tortured shapes.
Your theory sounds plausible, I could not figure it out. I took a few more there today, and the spots have changed a little though not as much as other areas of the ice.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:18 am

if the ice lasts, closer - Closer - CLOSER. There is no finer subject for your new macro lens. Sadly however, Ice is always Cold to photograph.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:50 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:18 am
if the ice lasts, closer - Closer - CLOSER. There is no finer subject for your new macro lens. Sadly however, Ice is always Cold to photograph.
I need a macro coach!

I can't get any closer to this particular ice physically, but tomorrow will take a long lens to see what's possible. I did try some other closer stuff today with different patches of Cold Stuff. Not fun to sit on the ground in this stuff!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:13 am

I've looked at this several times and I can't find a better way to frame it either. I'll be curious to see more! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:22 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:13 am
I've looked at this several times and I can't find a better way to frame it either. I'll be curious to see more! S-
This is probably our last Ice Day so I'll go one more time with a long lens this time and see if there are other secrets down there.