Abstract CritiqueOn Ice

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

On Ice

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:00 pm

I got my own Christmas present to myself yesterday, with points I'd been saving a long while - my first real macro lens, the Oly 60, a little lens that weighs only a few oz and is easily pocketable but has good reviews. My first experiment was less than stellar, bringing home only a couple of images I would even keep, and I'm a pixel packrat. I probably won't have much time to practice till after Christmas, but am looking forward to new adventures with it. All comments appreciated, I know I have a lot to learn!
Attachments
ice (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:26 pm

Macro lenses are a blast to use. If this is a new lens, definitely spend some time getting used to it. In my experience not all macro lenses behave the same. Some have that no man's land between macro focus and normal focus while others have a special "macro" section on the focus ring. You don't even need to go outside to experiment. :)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:12 pm

I hope you have a lot of fun with the lens, Minnie! It will surely be a different experience (think of Piet's close-ups!) than kitchen sink landscapes. This particular shot you've posted seems more of an in-between distance to me, and not really abstract with so many identifiable elements. I hope you're able to find subjects of interest that you can really stretch the limits of how close it will shoot. Does this mean the tripod will have to be dusted off? :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:56 am

Good for you minniev...I'll agree with Linda about this image being in between....I'm sure Piet will be of assistance among others..

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:37 pm

LindaShorey wrote:I hope you have a lot of fun with the lens, Minnie! It will surely be a different experience (think of Piet's close-ups!) than kitchen sink landscapes. This particular shot you've posted seems more of an in-between distance to me, and not really abstract with so many identifiable elements. I hope you're able to find subjects of interest that you can really stretch the limits of how close it will shoot. Does this mean the tripod will have to be dusted off? :)

Surely not the hated tripod!

I took some that had a hairline of focus on some moss and some mushrooms, but seldom in the right place. I won't be trying for the focus rail stuff that Piet does, I don't think.

The lens has three settings that I've got to figure out. Obviously the "stick-it-on-the-camera-and-shoot" approach to learning didn't work well for me. And no, I never seem to know what goes where, even with all Duck's great reorganization to make it easier for dummies like me.

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:40 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Good for you minniev...I'll agree with Linda about this image being in between....I'm sure Piet will be of assistance among others..

It is a betweener, down low over the ice but not true 1:1. The lens has a 1:1 setting and two others that I haven't yet figured out the difference between, but the true 1:1 requires manual focus, and I didn't realize that till I got home and downloaded the instruction sheet so I could read it. The sheet in the box was printed in the correct size font for ladybugs and pixies to read, but not elderly humans.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:51 am

minniev wrote:... The lens has a 1:1 setting and two others that I haven't yet figured out the difference between, but the true 1:1 requires manual focus, and I didn't realize that till I got home and downloaded the instruction sheet so I could read it. The sheet in the box was printed in the correct size font for ladybugs and pixies to read, but not elderly humans.

WELCOME TO THE OLYMPUS LEARN CENTER

M. ED 60mm f2.8 Macro Product Support
M. ED 60mm f2.8 Macro Instruction Manual
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:37 am

Hi, Min,
I am fascinated by your image!

Chromatically, the complementary orange conifer needles and the green and purplish-blue leaves, all entrapped in the almost slate-like neutral grayish blue ice...wonderful!

...and then the influence that all the stuff on the surface of the freezing water had on the planes and broad sheets, and radiating long triangular facets of the surface at the moment you happened to catch it is reminiscent...to my mind, at least, of the natural cleavage planes to be observed in some forms of hard slate and other “mudstones”

The incredible interplay of the biological and the inorganic physico-chemical and thermodynamic and surface tension eff3cts on the freezing water surface is simply mind-blowing.

It is a compellingly engrossing image.

Did I mention I really like it?

I cannot imagine your having captured this image in a more perfect manner.

Dave

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:43 pm

uuglypher wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:37 am
Hi, Min,
I am fascinated by your image!

Chromatically, the complementary orange conifer needles and the green and purplish-blue leaves, all entrapped in the almost slate-like neutral grayish blue ice...wonderful!

...and then the influence that all the stuff on the surface of the freezing water had on the planes and broad sheets, and radiating long triangular facets of the surface at the moment you happened to catch it is reminiscent...to my mind, at least, of the natural cleavage planes to be observed in some forms of hard slate and other “mudstones”

The incredible interplay of the biological and the inorganic physico-chemical and thermodynamic and surface tension eff3cts on the freezing water surface is simply mind-blowing.

It is a compellingly engrossing image.

Did I mention I really like it?

I cannot imagine your having captured this image in a more perfect manner.

Dave
So good to see you back Dave! Play with us a while!

Glad you like the image. Ice can indeed create some wonderful patterns, though I don't know what makes it form so differently under what kinds of different circumstances. I'm headed into the swamp this morning to see if today's ice is different from yesterdays, which had so little pattern to it in most spots. The color won't be as good this round as all the cypress have dropped their orange needles, and most of the greens died with the first freeze. But the browns and blues may be interesting.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:20 pm

Dave articulated beautifully what I wood'a said. I love the picture as well and would have it on a wall. It would be especially nice to stare at when it's 110 with matching humidity. :D (Weather is like buses...)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|