"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

Abstract CritiqueCommercial Orchard

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Commercial Orchard

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:51 am

I continue to be attracted to the varied shapes, repeating patterns, of commercial fruit orchards here. Does this one need a human, if only to understand the scale? Or is there some interest, i.e. "what the heck is this?" :) Your feedback and suggestions would be much appreciated!
Attachments
1 P1040500 diff raw diff bw.jpg
1 P1040500 diff raw diff bw.jpg (450.01 KiB) Viewed 584 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by Duck » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:55 am

I, too, love repeating patterns like this one offers. However, I am always distracted (disappointed?) by how the pattern falls apart the further out to the edges one goes.

Here is a suggestion for an alternative view of this scene. Maybe it'll inspire some variations on the theme.
Attachments
Commercial Orchard suggestion.jpg
Commercial Orchard suggestion.jpg (126.35 KiB) Viewed 578 times
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:35 am

Duck wrote:I, too, love repeating patterns like this one offers. However, I am always distracted (disappointed?) by how the pattern falls apart the further out to the edges one goes.

Here is a suggestion for an alternative view of this scene. Maybe it'll inspire some variations on the theme.

Oh yes, thank you Duck! I was too familiar with the subject and couldn't see the trees for the forest (or something like that). Love your version. Greatly appreciate your helping me get unstuck!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:00 pm

Duck I believe saw the picture in the picture. I was going to suggest that the original was perhaps too busy, too much stuff, nowhere for the eye to rest. Duck's crop nails it. I have this problem as well! I will see something and just know there is a picture here someplace, but curse it if I can see it. (?)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:41 pm

LindaShorey wrote:I continue to be attracted to the varied shapes, repeating patterns, of commercial fruit orchards here. Does this one need a human, if only to understand the scale? Or is there some interest, i.e. "what the heck is this?" :) Your feedback and suggestions would be much appreciated!

I have some interest, but can't put my finger on what it is. To me, this has a Infrared sorta look to it. I may be wrong, but thought I would throw that out there. I do, however like both versions here, just haven't made a decision on which one outweighs the other, if at all.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:42 pm

LindaShorey wrote:I continue to be attracted to the varied shapes, repeating patterns, of commercial fruit orchards here. Does this one need a human, if only to understand the scale? Or is there some interest, i.e. "what the heck is this?" :) Your feedback and suggestions would be much appreciated!

Linda, Thank you for posting this. I returned to the Columbia Mall yesterday, as Minnie had suggested, and took some shots of the repeating patterns in the roof work but couldn't settle on any one. Now I will look for the picture within the picture, as Chuck, Duck and Dave have suggested. I may post something later today. Happy Sunday. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:28 pm

Chuck, Dave and Matt - thank you for taking the time to check out the image and comment. I'm very grateful! Dave, one of my edits did use a Nik infra-red filter; maybe this one has a touch of it? :) I also wanted contrasty rather than full tonal range.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:17 am

I love how seeing through someone else's eyes can change the way we see everything. This is wonderful! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"