"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

― Architecture CritiqueThe Rainbow Factory

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2853
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

The Rainbow Factory

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:02 am

The factory only seems to run in winter. For a change, this one is about the dam instead of the birds. Or maybe it's about the rainbow and the dam and birds are just context. At any rate, I appreciate all feedback, including edits. If it's too much stuff, I may have a smaller zoomed in version that would be better than a crop. I only shot 1000 today. Still trying to figure out this electronic shutter continuous shooting mode.
Attachments
rainbow (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:27 pm

It's fascinating to see these larger views, mainly for context for the flights of fancy and other incredibly original fine art you create from this site.

In spite of happy-color rainbow, I feel unease, the overpowering power of the dam itself. The ice is super, not just from knowing how rare it is for you, but as an additional harsh element contrast against the achingly vulnerable and delicate birds.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1133
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:26 pm

minniev wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:02 am
The factory only seems to run in winter. For a change, this one is about the dam instead of the birds. Or maybe it's about the rainbow and the dam and birds are just context. At any rate, I appreciate all feedback, including edits. If it's too much stuff, I may have a smaller zoomed in version that would be better than a crop. I only shot 1000 today. Still trying to figure out this electronic shutter continuous shooting mode.
Interesting concept, along with the title. I keep looking for an assembly line, which could actually be the water falls itself.

Not sure why, but the title reminds me of a Creedence Clearwater Revival album, Cosmo's Factory. After doing a search, I found this: https://johnflaherty.deviantart.com/art ... -559476615 which was taken from this: https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... _B0IsgEwDA

I know, has nothing to do with your image, but I found it to be interesting.
Dave

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2853
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:56 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:27 pm
It's fascinating to see these larger views, mainly for context for the flights of fancy and other incredibly original fine art you create from this site.

In spite of happy-color rainbow, I feel unease, the overpowering power of the dam itself. The ice is super, not just from knowing how rare it is for you, but as an additional harsh element contrast against the achingly vulnerable and delicate birds.
The dam is old, rusted, and probably imperiled in ways we don't understand. The ice makes an already dangerous environment moreso for all of us. I won't venture down to the shore until the ice is off the rocks. Not even the seasoned fishermen will tempt fate with that route, only the birds who have another way of getting about than on rickety feet.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2853
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:02 pm

davechinn wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:26 pm

Interesting concept, along with the title. I keep looking for an assembly line, which could actually be the water falls itself.

Not sure why, but the title reminds me of a Creedence Clearwater Revival album, Cosmo's Factory. After doing a search, I found this: https://johnflaherty.deviantart.com/art ... -559476615 which was taken from this: https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... _B0IsgEwDA

I know, has nothing to do with your image, but I found it to be interesting.
Dave
The Credence link and the other "rainbow factory" are interesting! Thanks for your cyber detectiving!

It appears to me that the floodgates, those big rusty grooved panels with icicles hanging off their hinges, are the source of the assemblage. The birds seem to be the supervisors of this automated manufacturing process :)
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1710
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:54 pm

Wonderful! I love it. "Escheresque" was the first thing I said. I love the whole thing, rust and all (I like rust). The ice! The freezing mist! The light and shadows running directly counter to the lines of the structure! And the birds! Standing rigid, booted and spurred in the deathly cold, sentinels on the wall. It is Orcian, like a brooding keep from somewhere deep in the landscape of the Ring cycle, Tolkien's or Wagner's, take your pick. (I hear Götterdämmerung. Listen to just two minutes of this to hear the music I think fits this picture. :| And yes, Wagner is very much an acquired taste but here I think it works.)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2318
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:03 pm

This has got to be one of the better ones in the series for me. You're making it harder and harder to pick just one that stands out above the rest. But don't let that deter you. :-D
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2853
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:59 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:54 pm
Wonderful! I love it. "Escheresque" was the first thing I said. I love the whole thing, rust and all (I like rust). The ice! The freezing mist! The light and shadows running directly counter to the lines of the structure! And the birds! Standing rigid, booted and spurred in the deathly cold, sentinels on the wall. It is Orcian, like a brooding keep from somewhere deep in the landscape of the Ring cycle, Tolkien's or Wagner's, take your pick. (I hear Götterdämmerung. Listen to just two minutes of this to hear the music I think fits this picture. :| And yes, Wagner is very much an acquired taste but here I think it works.)
Glad you liked it Chuck. The world of the dam birds is strange, and I want it to appear so to viewers, to the point that they are not entirely sure what they are looking at even though the photos are never heavily processed. I am glad you hear Wagner, I do think he is appropriate.

(Actually, my cousin, the artist, suggested to me that we might one day do an art activity on the forum that involved responding photographically to certain musical prompts. Steve thought it was an interesting thing too, so we may one day toy with that.)
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2853
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:01 pm

Duck wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:03 pm
This has got to be one of the better ones in the series for me. You're making it harder and harder to pick just one that stands out above the rest. But don't let that deter you. :-D
Thanks Duck. My winter bird series has had to be a bit different, since I'm stranded about 75 feet back from my usual shooting perch on account of the ice. It's melting today, but of course so it that wonderful ice inside the dam structures, so I did what I could while I could.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1710
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:20 pm

Goes quite literally to the "frozen moments in time" metaphor. (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests