― Architecture CritiqueBarn and Tree

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Barn and Tree

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:04 pm

I decided to try poking holes in the barn windows to let the sky in :D Otherwise, the three pics are the same (did "save for web" but am going back next time to regular re-size). What interested me in the scene was
1. a bit of clearing with blue sky (seriously light-deprived in these parts, but above freezing and so far, no deadly landslides. One is pending, but people are out of the way)
2. The winter color of the wispy tree contrasted against the old barn.
3. The adjacent hops field.

Feedback requested. Many thanks!
Attachments
1-web173a.jpg
1-web-173-tonal-and-more2.jpg
1-web-173b.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:06 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:04 pm
I decided to try poking holes in the barn windows to let the sky in :D Otherwise, the three pics are the same (did "save for web" but am going back next time to regular re-size). What interested me in the scene was
1. a bit of clearing with blue sky (seriously light-deprived in these parts, but above freezing and so far, no deadly landslides. One is pending, but people are out of the way)
2. The winter color of the wispy tree contrasted against the old barn.
3. The adjacent hops field.

Feedback requested. Many thanks!
Linda, I prefer the first without any sky in a window. Enough sky already (!) for me behind the barn. As I try to examine my reaction why, I suspect the barn does not look decayed enough for the roof and back of the barn to be open with the sky showing through. Overall, the image looks somewhat flat; the texture on the barn should pop, no?

I have been without my iMac and ehd so I have not been able to download any photos and post, but I do have an almost full sd card that I will unload when we get back in February. I feel like I have been on a carb-free diet and just want to destroy a bagel. With lox. And cream cheese. Oy!

Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:17 pm

I like the original with its dead "eyes." Purely subjective as always of course. The sky coming through the windows does look a little unreal. I guess it could be interpreted as a reflection but I like the "dead eyes" aspect better as I think it goes with the overall mood set by the picture, which I see a winter-bleak but spring-willow-hopeful (Daphne used to get excited when the willows turned gold as it meant spring was in the offing). F'I had made it I might try cropping more from top left. My sense of balance in composition feels the massive barn is pulling the lower right corner lower. I would try to adjust the fulcrum by reducing the sky and field. They'd still more than be there, but they are light and airy and have trouble counterbalancing the mass of the barn. :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:49 am

Matt and Chuck, thanks so much for your respective comments and suggestions. Great stuff! Your time and interest are greatly appreciated.
--Matt, your wry humor just tickles me!
--Chuck, "spring willow hopeful" is just awesome!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

PietFrancke
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:11 am

I like Chuck's dead eyes. Through a hole, you would likely only see the wall behind anyway. The vineyards feel like fences and prison - I would consider going b/w and spook the scene up.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:56 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:11 am
I like Chuck's dead eyes. Through a hole, you would likely only see the wall behind anyway. The vineyards feel like fences and prison - I would consider going b/w and spook the scene up.
Thank you for commenting, Piet! The light on the pretty colored tree was what caught my eye. But it just so happens I have a b&w - and more interesting - pic from February 2017 :) Maybe not spooky exactly. (hops growing apparatus, not vineyard; whith this perspective you can see the size much better)
Attachments
p1000339_bw.jpg

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:01 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:56 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:11 am
Thank you for commenting, Piet! The light on the pretty colored tree was what caught my eye. But it just so happens I have a b&w - and more interesting - pic from February 2017 :) Maybe not spooky exactly. (hops growing apparatus, not vineyard; whith this perspective you can see the size much better)
Linda, Mahvelous, just mahvelous. Leading lines all over the happy place, not spooky. Playful sprites all around. Tones are delightfully delicate, light and well spread. Texture on the barn well raised. Not sure what's up on the roof through the window on the left. On my tiny screen, looks like wires. A bit of a distraction since it jumps out, though it is not immediately but secondarily obvious. Subtle sky. And a tease of a tree; you have to look to see it, but when you do, it brings a smile. All in all, very tastefully done. Thank you. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:27 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:01 pm
Linda, Mahvelous, just mahvelous. Leading lines all over the happy place, not spooky. Playful sprites all around. Tones are delightfully delicate, light and well spread. Texture on the barn well raised. Not sure what's up on the roof through the window on the left. On my tiny screen, looks like wires. A bit of a distraction since it jumps out, though it is not immediately but secondarily obvious. Subtle sky. And a tease of a tree; you have to look to see it, but when you do, it brings a smile. All in all, very tastefully done. Thank you. Matt
Thanks Matt! I'll have to find my original and enlarge to see what you're referencing on the roof. Regarding the photo itself: one problem I have, now that I've been shooting in the same areas for several years, is I will often remember a "better" image (light or composition) from past year or years. I have a much more interesting of those apple picking ladders from two years ago, and this barn shot is from 13 months ago.

I do occasionally find gems, such as my most recent "After the Hops Harvest" of similar subjects that I've been photo'ing for years, though, so I'm not packing up quite yet to move to a different corner of the planet :D And yeah, I guess I should do the "spinner" challenge that a few of you have embarked on - just to see things here differently.

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:49 pm

Put me down for Dead-Eye too. The building seems more ominous/lonely in that version. I really like the monochrome too, it would be my favorite. Somehow the hops apparatus is a stronger part of the composition in monochrome (the shadows and clouds give that one another assist because of all those matching lines and angles).
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:20 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:49 pm
Put me down for Dead-Eye too. The building seems more ominous/lonely in that version. I really like the monochrome too, it would be my favorite. Somehow the hops apparatus is a stronger part of the composition in monochrome (the shadows and clouds give that one another assist because of all those matching lines and angles).
The b&w is from last February, and I knew when I shot the color, it wasn't as interesting, but the sunshine seduced me :) Thanks for your time, Minnie!