Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Poles, Wires, the Moon

Post by St3v3M » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:06 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:18 pm
Thanks so much, Steve! Moonset in the morning, just before sunrise behind me. I haven't seen a sun SET in a couple of years :D I love your reference to a sailboat!

The title was literal so as to not influence anyone re my intent, "A study of lines and geometry."

For those who don't particularly like telephone poles and wires, I wondered whether this straightforward capture could have had a stronger message if more abstract. But for myself, I'm very happy with it. I told Ernst the reasons I tend to not work most scenes, but later I did notice I'd shot several compositions, if all from the same position (unavoidable in this case). This was the first of the several, and by far my favorite.
I'd be curious to see what you could do with it if you thought it was art? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by St3v3M » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:09 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:01 am
As I reread this babble, Linda, I am tempted to reach for the delete key. But I resist if only because you have given me the incentive for reflections that I wanted to share. So, there you are. Matt
Never! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:40 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
I am still here, Linda, i.e., I have returned since my morning post and have read your EDIT link others' reactions. Some ruminations, then, if you'll allow...
Your ruminations are a great, wonderful gift, Matt. So thoughtfully and articulately spoken. I greatly appreciate! I will be returning to these often. Very grateful for your presence on pM!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:42 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:06 am
I'd be curious to see what you could do with it if you thought it was art? S-
I might give it a try, though the "straight" version is kind of a good friend now :) Thanks so much!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:50 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:09 am
Matt Quinn wrote:
As I reread this babble, Linda, I am tempted to reach for the delete key. But I resist if only because you have given me the incentive for reflections that I wanted to share. So, there you are. Matt
Never! S-
Never! Indeed! The entire point of these discussions is to discuss, and disagree, but short of the point of drawing blades! Matt, I believe you are absolutely right about all opinions being biased and subjective (as discussed elsewhere). "We come to new experiences wearing the coat of our past." I think just having that self awareness is key to being able to occasionally slip out of the coat (see what I did there? :D ).

As it happens I'm in the I-like-it-as-is camp. But as with so much art that I like, I can't articulate precisely why. I do particularly like Steve's sailboat simile. I love rigged ships and looking up through the rigging and finding the moon. I don't think it's much of a stretch to turn phone poles into masts. I tend to like restful scenes and I find this restful, peaceful, calm and calming. I see the moon as the anchor of the composition, perhaps predictably. Without it the eye would wander with nowhere to rest. With it there is the pivot point around which the entire composition revolves, like the masts of the ship appear to revolve around the background of the stars in the midwatch (oh jeepers there he goes again)... :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:54 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:50 pm
St3v3M wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:09 am
Matt Quinn wrote:
Never! S-
Never! Indeed! The entire point of these discussions is to discuss, and disagree, but short of the point of drawing blades! Matt, I believe you are absolutely right about all opinions being biased and subjective (as discussed elsewhere). "We come to new experiences wearing the coat of our past." I think just having that self awareness is key to being able to occasionally slip out of the coat (see what I did there? :D ).

As it happens I'm in the I-like-it-as-is camp. But as with so much art that I like, I can't articulate precisely why. I do particularly like Steve's sailboat simile. I love rigged ships and looking up through the rigging and finding the moon. I don't think it's much of a stretch to turn phone poles into masts. I tend to like restful scenes and I find this restful, peaceful, calm and calming. I see the moon as the anchor of the composition, perhaps predictably. Without it the eye would wander with nowhere to rest. With it there is the pivot point around which the entire composition revolves, like the masts of the ship appear to revolve around the background of the stars in the midwatch (oh jeepers there he goes again)... :|
Charles, I had not seen Steve's sailboat simile or I might have paused on that. But, never having been on a sailboat, at least nothing larger than a sailfish -- another story there -- I don't think I could relate. The photo has a simple elegance, I admit; and the amount of attention it has drawn suggests it has a quiet power to hold viewers. My heroes on pM admire it, so, this is another opportunity to learn.Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:09 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:50 pm
As it happens I'm in the I-like-it-as-is camp... I see the moon as the anchor of the composition, perhaps predictably. Without it the eye would wander with nowhere to rest. With it there is the pivot point around which the entire composition revolves, like the masts of the ship appear to revolve around the background of the stars in the midwatch
Awesome, Chuck; thanks so much!

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:11 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:54 pm
... My heroes on pM admire it, so, this is another opportunity to learn.Matt
Thanks so much for your continuing interest in the thread, Matt. You are one of my heroes! While there are varying levels of experience & accomplishment (I don't want to say "talent" particularly), I think everyone brings unique qualities to this site! It's the interaction of those that's most important IMO.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:35 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:11 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:54 pm
... My heroes on pM admire it, so, this is another opportunity to learn.Matt
Thanks so much for your continuing interest in the thread, Matt. You are one of my heroes! While there are varying levels of experience & accomplishment (I don't want to say "talent" particularly), I think everyone brings unique qualities to this site! It's the interaction of those that's most important IMO.
Thanks Linda. Well said. Happy New Year. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin