"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

― Architecture CritiquePoles, Wires, the Moon

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Poles, Wires, the Moon

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:32 pm

I have some specific points I want to talk about/ask about...but would like your impression and un-influenced feedback first. Many thanks!
Attachments
p1040820.jpg
p1040820.jpg (324.11 KiB) Viewed 389 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:50 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:32 pm
I have some specific points I want to talk about/ask about...but would like your impression and un-influenced feedback first. Many thanks!
Linda, My first reaction was that the moon is wobbly. I wondered what the scene would look like if the moon were full. Because I was looking at the photo on my MacBook Air, I had to scroll up and down to see the full photo and found the bottom 2/3 more pleasing than the full photo. The converging lines in the top portion disoriented me a tad. And the photo lacked your usual snap or zing or wow -- can't explain it more than that. There is a photo there, but I don't know where it is. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi Linda, I personally like this image alot. The composition for the telephone poles and the wires works well for me, it's tide together well. The moon is an added element.
Lots of photographers would walk away from this image, I myself would work with the subject and all of those lines.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:36 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:50 pm
Linda, My first reaction was that the moon is wobbly. I wondered what the scene would look like if the moon were full. Because I was looking at the photo on my MacBook Air, I had to scroll up and down to see the full photo and found the bottom 2/3 more pleasing than the full photo. The converging lines in the top portion disoriented me a tad. And the photo lacked your usual snap or zing or wow -- can't explain it more than that. There is a photo there, but I don't know where it is. Matt
Thank you for your time, Matt! I love your use of "wobbly" re the moon. Isn't it funny how a 3/4 or nearly full moon is so much less photogenic than just a sliver or totally round?

Lack of snap, zing, wow...I interpret as no immediate impact, too subtle or requiring more time to ponder? I suspect that the time and interest we are willing to devote has a lot to do with the subject of a photo, or other element such as light or unique pp.

The subject here is one thing I wanted to talk about/ask about, but will wait for another comment or two...if you are willing to hang with me :)

EDIT: see viewtopic.php?f=85&t=3425&p=24791#p24791
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:40 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:57 pm
Hi Linda, I personally like this image alot. The composition for the telephone poles and the wires works well for me, it's tide together well. The moon is an added element.
Lots of photographers would walk away from this image, I myself would work with the subject and all of those lines.
Thank you Ernst! I'm so glad you enjoyed the composition; I was very drawn to this particular viewpoint.

Working a subject is my biggest failing as a photographer, I think. It seems like I become anxious or confused (such as about which perspectives I've shot already), or just plain bored, lol. I'm much more into spontaneity and have "almost" accepted that is the way the rest of my photography life will be lived out :)

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:46 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:32 pm
A wonderful set of pixels to work with! There are several potential crops, and other potential angles, but as it is, it is intriguing. Like Matt, I wonder if a full or half moon might be easier to work with than a 3/4 or whatever this is officially called. I love the hopeless tangle of modern contrivance set against a beautiful sky and the moon trapped there in the wires.

It brought back a personal story of my childhood. Once when we were driving to my grandmothers on Christmas Eve night, my brother, then about 5, was watching the moon as it danced between the paired wires strung alongside the road, making up stories to entertain himself, here's a line I remembered: "Help", said the moon, "I can't get out. Screech!".
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:08 pm

minniev wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:46 pm
A wonderful set of pixels to work with! There are several potential crops, and other potential angles, but as it is, it is intriguing. Like Matt, I wonder if a full or half moon might be easier to work with than a 3/4 or whatever this is officially called. I love the hopeless tangle of modern contrivance set against a beautiful sky and the moon trapped there in the wires.

It brought back a personal story of my childhood. Once when we were driving to my grandmothers on Christmas Eve night, my brother, then about 5, was watching the moon as it danced between the paired wires strung alongside the road, making up stories to entertain himself, here's a line I remembered: "Help", said the moon, "I can't get out. Screech!".
Thanks Minnie, your story is charming! What a treat to see the world through a child's eyes any chance we get. Very glad you enjoyed this one.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by St3v3M » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:21 pm

From the title, I'm pretty sure I know where you're heading with this, but my opinion is I like it!

The lines and the poles remind me of the lines on a sailboat with the moon lighting their way!

The quality of the image is surprising too, with the evening light kissing the top bar and that beautiful color to the sky. When I first looked at this the lines felt, soft like they were moving, but when I looked again I realized what I was seeing. I really like this and think you have more here than you realize! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:18 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:21 pm
From the title, I'm pretty sure I know where you're heading with this, but my opinion is I like it!

The lines and the poles remind me of the lines on a sailboat with the moon lighting their way!

The quality of the image is surprising too, with the evening light kissing the top bar and that beautiful color to the sky. When I first looked at this the lines felt, soft like they were moving, but when I looked again I realized what I was seeing. I really like this and think you have more here than you realize! S-
Thanks so much, Steve! Moonset in the morning, just before sunrise behind me. I haven't seen a sun SET in a couple of years :D I love your reference to a sailboat!

The title was literal so as to not influence anyone re my intent, "A study of lines and geometry."

For those who don't particularly like telephone poles and wires, I wondered whether this straightforward capture could have had a stronger message if more abstract. But for myself, I'm very happy with it. I told Ernst the reasons I tend to not work most scenes, but later I did notice I'd shot several compositions, if all from the same position (unavoidable in this case). This was the first of the several, and by far my favorite.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:01 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:36 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:50 pm
Thank you for your time, Matt! I love your use of "wobbly" re the moon. Isn't it funny how a 3/4 or nearly full moon is so much less photogenic than just a sliver or totally round?

Lack of snap, zing, wow...I interpret as no immediate impact, too subtle or requiring more time to ponder? I suspect that the time and interest we are willing to devote has a lot to do with the subject of a photo, or other element such as light or unique pp.

The subject here is one thing I wanted to talk about/ask about, but will wait for another comment or two...if you are willing to hang with me :)

EDIT: see viewtopic.php?f=85&t=3425&p=24791#p24791
I am still here, Linda, i.e., I have returned since my morning post and have read your EDIT link others' reactions. Some ruminations, then, if you'll allow.

On the topic of bias or being subjective/objective, I believe we cannot escape being subjective. We can't see our own eyeballs, we can't watch our mind think. What we see we see as a subject; what we think is what we think, not what we would like to think or think we think. We see, we think. We can learn skills and recognize those in others; we can go on, then, to apply that knowledge, to compare and contrast and conclude that some achievements are more accomplished than others both technically and artistically. All our learning, however, and all our perceiving we do as subjects. We come to new experiences wearing the coat of our past. Unlike the Emperor, we cannot pretend otherwise. Nor can we spring into a telephone booth -- dating myself here -- and transform ourselves, or reveal our true identity.

So, I can follow Duck's tutorial on critiquing, learning to spot and mention specific aspects and what I find attractive or successful and why, but another pM-er may disagree, using the same criteria, or may find meaning or story where I find none.

Apropos of nothing or maybe all of the above, therefore, is an aphorism I once read; The fish are the last to see the water. I thought about it after I had read it and decided that the fish probably never see the water.

Who knows? Who cares? They're just fish!

So, to your photo: I don't think (!) it has an anchor for my eye(!). It don't rest anywhere; if that was your intent, you succeeded. If the story is that chatter is moving, helter skelter, along the splintering lines, hopefully landing where it should, I read that. I can't tell if the moon is waning or waxing, but the image coveys transition and movement, both in the lines and the moon. Success there. Yet I find all this is too literal. The sky is a very pleasing and clean blue; knowing it is sunrise suggests the opportunity of the day. I had thought, on first view, that it was early evening, winding down the day. Soon it would be night, and time for rest and peace. All these feelings, yes, are subjective; can't tell whence they arise. The entire image has a gentle grace, typical of what you usually show.

As I reread this babble, Linda, I am tempted to reach for the delete key. But I resist if only because you have given me the incentive for reflections that I wanted to share. So, there you are. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange