"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

― Architecture CritiqueAgricultural Architecture in Winter

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Agricultural Architecture in Winter

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:50 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Steve, I am fascinated by your suggestion that removing the light pole changes the story so much that it suggests a strong emotional response (Fine Art). For you personally, what do you see and feel with the light cropped out? I could guess a couple of things, but would much prefer to hear your own side of the story first. Thank you! (and your lone telephone pole at dawn is super-cool btw)

I can't explain why but something about your first image reminds me of an early morning on the Alaskan tundra. Stranger still since I've never been there, but I can't shake the feeling and in some ways I like the lonely street light still lit in the early morning light, but in others I want it gone, it's an annoyance and in the way. I'm sure none of this make sense and the men with the nice white jacket will come to visit me soon, but that's for me and my therapist to discuss.

For the unbroken I'll put it this way, when I look at the scene I see four houses and a beautiful dawn, then I see the supporting actor standing all alone. My eye wanders from the houses to the light pole, to the houses and back again, so I wondered what it would look like without it, and that led me to wonder what impact it would have on the story. If I were to break it down I might say the first was a well-taken snapshot where the removal of the pole turned it into something more. I can't claim credit for the art as the image is not mine, but I submit that the removal of the object changes the image from something to look at to something to ponder. It's the simplicity I think.

Something about that light bothered me enough to look at it again, and again I wondered what isolating it would look like, and what it would do to the image. I very much like this one, The Little Pole Defiant Against The Coming Dawn, and wonder if that's what I was looking for in the first place, or both? I really don't know but the question of looking for meaning inside meaning drives me now and makes me wonder how many images need a second look and are waiting to be art. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:23 pm

St3v3M wrote:...the removal of the object changes the image from something to look at to something to ponder. It's the simplicity I think.
I wonder if there is a thread on pM about Fine Art definitions, or if Ernst has ever addressed. I ask because your comments strongly suggest - IMO - one of the viewpoints, that the more that is left to our imaginations, the more we can interpret the image in a way that speaks to us personally (memories, experiences, or um - a desire to live in Alaska? :D ).

St3v3M wrote:I really don't know but the question of looking for meaning inside meaning drives me now and makes me wonder how many images need a second look and are waiting to be art. S-
Well, the whole experience of online forums is a whole different universe from strolling a gallery, isn't it? A nano-second to catch someone's eye before they move on? Even those committed to supporting a forum or an individual might have their intentions interrupted by a phone call or other distraction. And then forget about returning, or they rush their responses. Or like me, they're just having a "bad brain" day!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:06 pm

LindaShorey wrote:I wonder if there is a thread on pM about Fine Art definitions, or if Ernst has ever addressed. ...

Well, the whole experience of online forums is a whole different universe from strolling a gallery, isn't it? ...

It would be good to have a discussion about the definition of Fine Art and how it applies to photography, so we'll leave that door open.

For now though, I wonder what your gut reaction to the edits are since you were the one that was there and took the image. Does it change the way you feel about the original image, or are they auxiliary to it? And maybe more importantly, do they change the way you will look at future images, or not? S-

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:50 pm

St3v3M wrote:..For now though, I wonder what your gut reaction to the edits are since you were the one that was there and took the image. Does it change the way you feel about the original image, or are they auxiliary to it? And maybe more importantly, do they change the way you will look at future images, or not? S-

Removing the light pole didn't do much for me, but that could be because I've shot those grain bins several times before. This was the first time I was at an angle to notice the light pole, and I liked it as an unexpected, disconnected element. A composition of the hills and the light alone would be well worth revisiting. As far as changing the way I look at future images, if you mean universally, then no. When I shoot and/or edit, I seem to have either a strong idea of what I want...or I don't :D And when I don't I ask for help getting unstuck. If I start thinking about how others will respond to the photo as I'm taking the shot, them I'm going a direction that doesn't interest me.

But with photos I am happy with, it's a great gift to hear how others react to them and I'm very grateful for everyone's time and interest.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:39 pm

LindaShorey wrote:...
But with photos I am happy with, it's a great gift to hear how others react to them and I'm very grateful for everyone's time and interest.

There is a balance between shooting what you want and what others want, but having said that I hope we always shoot what we want! S-

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:44 pm

St3v3M wrote:
LindaShorey wrote:...

There is a balance between shooting what you want and what others want, but having said that I hope we always shoot what we want! S-

Seems to me Minnie once mentioned she would toss her camera into the swamp if she couldn't continue to experiment and grow :)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:01 am

LindaShorey wrote:Seems to me Minnie once mentioned she would toss her camera into the swamp if she couldn't continue to experiment and grow :)

That swamp ain't a pretty thing... LAF