"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

― Architecture CritiqueAgricultural Architecture in Winter

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Agricultural Architecture in Winter

Post by LindaShorey » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:32 pm

First glimpse of sunshine in nine days! Your feedback and suggestions requested. Thank you!
Attachments
1 PC160033a.jpg
1 PC160033a.jpg (244.5 KiB) Viewed 538 times
1 PC160016.jpg
1 PC160016.jpg (384.84 KiB) Viewed 538 times
1 PC160038.jpg
1 PC160038.jpg (503.46 KiB) Viewed 538 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:54 pm

As always, I'm a huge fan of the birds in the hops field. Doesn't make any difference how many of them I've seen, they are all different. The second one is the kingpin in this set, with that great sky and the clouds angled in alignment with the lower wires and the pole structures. Very nice, in good light too.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:18 am

The first is wonderful, a nitpick is the very slight haloing along some of the roofline and hill…..really like the detail you left in the back hill also showing off the brushline on the closer hill.

The second is outstanding, not sure what you have going on in the upper left corner…an inadvertent brush stoke maybe, easy enough to eliminate, the slanted vertical bits of lighter color…notice it now?

I like the composition of the third very much but the soft glow is loosing it for me as I think at least the poles, wires, and bird would look better sharp...

You've over worked me Linda, I haven't had to think this much all day....

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:31 am

minniev wrote:As always, I'm a huge fan of the birds in the hops field. Doesn't make any difference how many of them I've seen, they are all different. The second one is the kingpin in this set, with that great sky and the clouds angled in alignment with the lower wires and the pole structures. Very nice, in good light too.
Thank you, Minnie! No reason for you to know, but #2 is a different kind of field - a modified trellis system for fruit trees. So many geometric shapes and lines, so little time :)

Psjunkie wrote:The first is wonderful, a nitpick is the very slight haloing along some of the roofline and hill…..really like the detail you left in the back hill also showing off the brushline on the closer hill.

The second is outstanding, not sure what you have going on in the upper left corner…an inadvertent brush stoke maybe, easy enough to eliminate, the slanted vertical bits of lighter color…notice it now?

I like the composition of the third very much but the soft glow is loosing it for me as I think at least the poles, wires, and bird would look better sharp...

You've over worked me Linda, I haven't had to think this much all day....
Thanks so much for your detailed feedback, Frank. Believe me, I understand about the challenges of trying to think "hard" :D The bit in upper left of #2 is a contrail, I think. I should be able to get rid of it. I appreciate your discussing your preference for sharper #3. I admit to being in love with glow right now, and it's good to be reminded that sometimes it's not the best choice.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:10 am

LindaShorey wrote:First glimpse of sunshine in nine days! Your feedback and suggestions requested. Thank you!

#2 is my pick. You know I love the drying rack memories it brings. Although we didn't have that kind of sky in our apartment. In fact, I was unaware of the sky when I was growing up in Brooklyn until another young boy from the country, visiting someone in the city, told me he hated the city because he couldn't see the sky. I pointed up. Then he explained about hills and fields and mountains. Oh. Many years later, I saw some and could understand. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:48 am

Matt Quinn wrote:#2 is my pick. ... In fact, I was unaware of the sky when I was growing up in Brooklyn until another young boy from the country, visiting someone in the city, told me he hated the city because he couldn't see the sky...
Thank you Matt! I am so used to long views and huge skies here that I suspect I'd feel very claustrophobic if I moved back east again, let alone lived in a city :) People have been suggesting for four years that most of my compositions don't need as much sky as I tend to include, but I don't listen - ha.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:33 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:#2 is my pick. ... In fact, I was unaware of the sky when I was growing up in Brooklyn until another young boy from the country, visiting someone in the city, told me he hated the city because he couldn't see the sky...
Thank you Matt! I am so used to long views and huge skies here that I suspect I'd feel very claustrophobic if I moved back east again, let alone lived in a city :) People have been suggesting for four years that most of my compositions don't need as much sky as I tend to include, but I don't listen - ha.

Would "the sky's the limit" be an appropriate reply? Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:44 pm

LindaShorey wrote:First glimpse of sunshine in nine days! Your feedback and suggestions requested. Thank you!

The first doesn't interest me, the second is beautiful, and the third feels overworked, grainy perhaps, but here's the thing, I keep going back to the first.

I wonder about the dual life this image lives, from what it is to what it could be, from a photograph to fine art, all with a simple crop.

I wonder then how many images live the life of 'could be' if we only looked a little more? S-
Attachments
1 PC160033a-1.jpg
1 PC160033a-1.jpg (209.45 KiB) Viewed 493 times
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:19 pm

St3v3M wrote:...
I wonder then how many images live the life of 'could be' if we only looked a little more? S-

I kept coming back to that sad little light pole and wondered about the light and the coming dawn... S-
Attachments
1 PC160033a-1.jpg
1 PC160033a-1.jpg (163.25 KiB) Viewed 491 times
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:31 pm

Steve, I am fascinated by your suggestion that removing the light pole changes the story so much that it suggests a strong emotional response (Fine Art). For you personally, what do you see and feel with the light cropped out? I could guess a couple of things, but would much prefer to hear your own side of the story first. Thank you! (and your lone telephone pole at dawn is super-cool btw)