― Architecture CritiqueDrive Through Shooting

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Drive Through Shooting

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:15 pm

There is no way to stop on this bridge between Canada and the US, and walking around either side can create problems, so the only option was to shoot through the windshield of the moving vehicle.Which creates a skewed perspective. If anyone has any ideas, or comments, or edits, please share.
Attachments
briedge (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Graham Smith
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Graham Smith » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:59 pm

You could use the horizontal perspective tool in PS or LR but I think that it would introduce too many other other distortions. I like it, leave as is, that's my opinion :)
Graham

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:53 pm

Do you mean because it's not perfectly symmetrical? I wouldn't notice that at all, if opening didn't mention perspective. What I see is a tiny car in the distance, hinting at the scale, and then all kinds of wonderful lines in the architecture.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:10 pm

Graham Smith wrote:You could use the horizontal perspective tool in PS or LR but I think that it would introduce too many other other distortions. I like it, leave as is, that's my opinion :)

Thanks Graham. I did use the perspective tool a bit on it, but doing more than a little seemed to actually make it worse instead of better, so I gave it up. I'm sure there are those who can do more magic with those tools than I can.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:13 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Do you mean because it's not perfectly symmetrical? I wouldn't notice that at all, if opening didn't mention perspective. What I see is a tiny car in the distance, hinting at the scale, and then all kinds of wonderful lines in the architecture.

The lines and curves were of course what I wanted to capture. it necessitated cropping out the dashboard and rearview mirror, and cloning some bird poop. The bridge was interesting in that it was wide enough to accommodate two cars but had no lane definitions, so the oncoming was pretty much headed towards us.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:33 am

minniev wrote:There is no way to stop on this bridge between Canada and the US, and walking around either side can create problems, so the only option was to shoot through the windshield of the moving vehicle.Which creates a skewed perspective. If anyone has any ideas, or comments, or edits, please share.

Cool. Works for me. The oncoming car looks as if it is in your lane. Since you posted this photo, I guess the road was wide enough. I have wanted to take photos of the new Tappan Zee Bridge over the Hudson, but I am always driving when we get there. Someday. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:05 am

I've had the same problem with several other bridges where they seem to frown on you standing in the middle of them. LAF

I think this is well done with what you had to work with. I especially like the lone car coming toward us. Thank you for adding this! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"