"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

― Architecture CritiqueBarn Undone

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Barn Undone

Post by minniev » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:06 pm

I will be subjecting you to more barns as I work through them in my various experiments. Toning is one of them.

Managing contrast when using toning is always a challenge for me. All comments and edits welcome.
Attachments
barn2 (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Bob Yankle » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:57 pm

For me, the tones overall look pretty good, but I'm bothered by the somewhat blown out sky just above the barn. I did two things ...... I created a Duplicate Layer, then used the PS Camera Raw Filter, and slid the [Highlights] tab to the left. This introduced more detail in the clouds. I then created a Mask, and brushed out the rest of the picture, restoring it to normal, but for the clouds.

The other items that attracted my attention were the beautiful vertical and diagonal lines on the side of the barn and on the roof. To emphasize those I used Topaz Detail and the [Small Details] slider to give them more definition then created an inverted mask to brush in the detail only on the barn.

Thank you for sharing this particular barn. It's a beauty.
Attachments
Minniev_BarnUndone_Edited.jpg

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:29 pm

Bob Yankle wrote:For me, the tones overall look pretty good, but I'm bothered by the somewhat blown out sky just above the barn. I did two things ...... I created a Duplicate Layer, then used the PS Camera Raw Filter, and slid the [Highlights] tab to the left. This introduced more detail in the clouds. I then created a Mask, and brushed out the rest of the picture, restoring it to normal, but for the clouds.

The other items that attracted my attention were the beautiful vertical and diagonal lines on the side of the barn and on the roof. To emphasize those I used Topaz Detail and the [Small Details] slider to give them more definition then created an inverted mask to brush in the detail only on the barn.

Minnie, I really like this old barn and your composition. I also like what Bob did to the roof. But the silo seems to tilt slightly to the left for me. Might be my eyeglasses or the distraction of the other lines. Love the texture on the harvested crop. Overall, though, the scene is too muted for me. I would prefer moderately stronger blacks, I suspect, even with the loss of the vintage appearance. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:19 pm

Bob Yankle wrote:For me, the tones overall look pretty good, but I'm bothered by the somewhat blown out sky just above the barn. I did two things ...... I created a Duplicate Layer, then used the PS Camera Raw Filter, and slid the [Highlights] tab to the left. This introduced more detail in the clouds. I then created a Mask, and brushed out the rest of the picture, restoring it to normal, but for the clouds.

We found more undone barns than kept-up barns, and I had to try a lot of them out. Glad you liked it and I appreciate the nice improvements you made but especially the steps you used. I often use a detail enhancer masked in for similar purposes but have never tried it on one of my old barns, so am grateful for the nudge. Those bland overcast skies often give me trouble, but you found a little more detail in it.
Thanks!

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:21 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:

Minnie, I really like this old barn and your composition. I also like what Bob did to the roof. But the silo seems to tilt slightly to the left for me. Might be my eyeglasses or the distraction of the other lines. Love the texture on the harvested crop. Overall, though, the scene is too muted for me. I would prefer moderately stronger blacks, I suspect, even with the loss of the vintage appearance. Matt

Thanks Matt. I wonder if the leftward slope of the land is what makes it look tilted. I am never good at getting stuff straight though! This one is muted by choice, but I am never sure of my experiments work! That's why I post them :D

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:21 pm

minniev wrote:I will be subjecting you to more barns as I work through them in my various experiments. Toning is one of them.

Managing contrast when using toning is always a challenge for me. All comments and edits welcome.

I love to capture barns and while I have done so, I haven't been able to find one to my 100% satisfaction.

Your image here is composed so well and of course I do like the B&W, which enhances the age appeal, IMO. A great capture Minnie !!!
Dave

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:48 pm

davechinn wrote:
I love to capture barns and while I have done so, I haven't been able to find one to my 100% satisfaction.

Your image here is composed so well and of course I do like the B&W, which enhances the age appeal, IMO. A great capture Minnie !!!
Dave

I never seem to find the perfect barn - they are too nice or too broken, too close to the road or too far behind a fence I can't get over, there's modern equipment blocking my view, etc etc. So if I find one I can make a stab at, I do. Glad you liked this one!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:19 pm

This feels grey-going-on-purple to me. I'm not against it but wonder what your intention was and why you chose it. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:28 pm

St3v3M wrote:This feels grey-going-on-purple to me. I'm not against it but wonder what your intention was and why you chose it. S-

Just to see what it would be like :D. I don't do toning much, so it was an experiment. The reason I converted it to monochrome was because the day was bleak and it had very little color anyway, and I wanted to emphasize the curved line of cut cornstalks.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:44 pm

minniev wrote:Just to see what it would be like :D. I don't do toning much, so it was an experiment. The reason I converted it to monochrome was because the day was bleak and it had very little color anyway, and I wanted to emphasize the curved line of cut cornstalks.

I love experiments like these and think they are an important way to expand our skills.

What do you think about brushing in a little light to help emphasize the curved line? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"