"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

― Architecture CritiqueDerailed

Images of man-made structures; buildings, bridges, statues, roads and architectural elements like windows and doors, stairs, etc.
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Derailed

Postby minniev » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:00 pm

In case you can't read what's on the tiny red sign, the title says it all.

All feedback and edits are welcome.
Attachments
derrailed (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Derailed

Postby Charles Haacker » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:50 pm

What a terrific, slightly sad picture. Hauntingly beautiful. The eintritt verboten sign is easily spotted. Looking past it, it looks as if the rails have simply been torn out. Only the ghosts of long gone steam trains may persist on this line. The sky is wonderfully foreboding, the light not quite bleak as there seems to be some thin sun getting through, and of course the fall glory pops. I do find myself wondering if the frame is not very slightly tilted to the right? And if I had made it I think I might try to remove the pole and wires, or at least the ones crossing the line. Since the tracks seem to stop perhaps the lines should too?
:thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:17 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:What a terrific, slightly sad picture. Hauntingly beautiful. The eintritt verboten sign is easily spotted. Looking past it, it looks as if the rails have simply been torn out. Only the ghosts of long gone steam trains may persist on this line. The sky is wonderfully foreboding, the light not quite bleak as there seems to be some thin sun getting through, and of course the fall glory pops. I do find myself wondering if the frame is not very slightly tilted to the right? And if I had made it I think I might try to remove the pole and wires, or at least the ones crossing the line. Since the tracks seem to stop perhaps the lines should too?
:thumbup:

Thanks for the detailed comments Chuck! I was hoping someone would talk to me about the lines. Sometimes I remove them and sometimes not. The perceived tilt is likely affected by the heavily leaning pole. Since the whole thing was sort of askew I just left them and waited for ya'll :D

Your assessment of the light conditions is perfect (old pro that you are!)

It appeared that the locals might be using or at least getting prepared to use the old station for some community function, so perhaps it is in partial use for something other than its original use, and that may be the reason there are still wires maintained. I see abandoned rail stations everywhere I travel, but few are uncluttered enough to yield a decent photo op.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:55 am

What a hauntingly beautiful image. It reminds me of something you might see on the backroads time has forgotten, trying desperately not to give way.

I love this, there are so many stories to tell here if only the rails could talk. Do you have other views? I suspect twenty-feet to the left and a quarter turn to the right would yield a postcard quality image that might help to give a little last life to such a beautiful place. I would love to see the inside too!

Thank you for adding this. Haunting yet beautiful. How do you do that? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:30 pm

St3v3M wrote:What a hauntingly beautiful image. It reminds me of something you might see on the backroads time has forgotten, trying desperately not to give way.

I love this, there are so many stories to tell here if only the rails could talk. Do you have other views? I suspect twenty-feet to the left and a quarter turn to the right would yield a postcard quality image that might help to give a little last life to such a beautiful place. I would love to see the inside too!

Thank you for adding this. Haunting yet beautiful. How do you do that? S-

Thanks Steve, it was a storybook kind of place, a village in the boundaries of Adirondack park in NY. The reason I didn't do anything from that included anything more to the right was of course intrusion. Just barely out of sight were huge billboard signs advertising the town Halloween festival, and they were not picturesque. And just past that was the town cafe, which wasn't picturesque either but served up a marvelous fresh raspberry pie with homemade ice cream.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:13 pm

minniev wrote:Thanks Steve, it was a storybook kind of place, a village in the boundaries of Adirondack park in NY. The reason I didn't do anything from that included anything more to the right was of course intrusion. Just barely out of sight were huge billboard signs advertising the town Halloween festival, and they were not picturesque. And just past that was the town cafe, which wasn't picturesque either but served up a marvelous fresh raspberry pie with homemade ice cream.

It's not your first rodeo, is it? Laf! I figured there was a reason for the composition! Now I'm hungry for pie! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “― Architecture Critique”