― Architecture CritiqueThe Beauty of Ugliness

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

The Beauty of Ugliness

Post by minniev » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Not a city skyline for sure and not sure about the architecture but it sure ain't scenic or landscape. I have a secret vice of photographing what I call "industrials", working or failed industrial sites. I hate their pollution, the scars they put on the landscape, but I still feel compelled to photograph them. Here's one I found in Quebec. All critique, edits, suggestions welcome. Sometimes I process them harshly to emphasize the ugliness, sometimes creatively/artistically to make them seem prettier, sometimes mostly realistically to let them speak for themselves.
Attachments
beauty (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:12 pm

No comment other than well presented image minniev.......

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:28 pm

I think it's perfect the way it is, also. I particularly love all the leading lines you have chosen from the camera perspective. Very strong composition. :thumbup:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:34 pm

I like it! It's good! As a commercial photographer I was often asked to photograph ugly stuff and try to make something at least less ugly out of it. If this were a commercial shot it succeeds wonderfully, even beautifully. The first thing I notice is the composition, which I find excellent. The big pile of gravel (??) in the left foreground leads me to the right to a leading line of piles marching away diagonally to the background, where there is activity but somewhat muted activity owing to its distance. I think that's the main subject but being distant it gains some beauty by simply not being close to the viewer. The engine exhaust from the rock crusher (??) contrasts with the lighter plume of dust from the conveyor. There are other machines back there of different colors, then beyond is the beautye of a Quebecois autumn and a perfect sky. If you were shooting this plant for a brochure or annual report your client would be thrilled! :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Bob Yankle » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:06 pm

Beauty and Brawn ..... a powerful juxtaposition.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Psjunkie wrote:No comment other than well presented image minniev.......

Thank you Frank.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Duck wrote:I think it's perfect the way it is, also. I particularly love all the leading lines you have chosen from the camera perspective. Very strong composition. :thumbup:

Thanks Duck. I liked the overlapping piles of whatever that is, then I just got stuck and took a bunch of shots. That's what industrials do to me.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:46 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I like it! It's good! As a commercial photographer I was often asked to photograph ugly stuff and try to make something at least less ugly out of it. If this were a commercial shot it succeeds wonderfully, even beautifully. The first thing I notice is the composition, which I find excellent. The big pile of gravel (??) in the left foreground leads me to the right to a leading line of piles marching away diagonally to the background, where there is activity but somewhat muted activity owing to its distance. I think that's the main subject but being distant it gains some beauty by simply not being close to the viewer. The engine exhaust from the rock crusher (??) contrasts with the lighter plume of dust from the conveyor. There are other machines back there of different colors, then beyond is the beautye of a Quebecois autumn and a perfect sky. If you were shooting this plant for a brochure or annual report your client would be thrilled! :thumbup:

Those piles of stuff made me do it. I was offended by the ugliness, and like I commonly do, I then got intrigued by it and couldn't quit. I hate to admit it but it may turn out to be one of my favorites of my trip shots. I am not sure how that fits with my ultra environmentalist persona, but this is what got me addicted to those dam birds, too.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Bob Yankle wrote:Beauty and Brawn ..... a powerful juxtaposition.

Good way to put it. Thanks

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:17 pm

Masterful work, Minnie. One of those that causes me to wonder if I'd have seen the potential. I fear not, which makes this a great image for inspiration/teaching: a reminder to think outside that pesky little box we get ourselves into on occasion.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt