"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

― Architecture CritiqueThe Beauty of Ugliness

Images of man-made structures; buildings, bridges, statues, roads and architectural elements like windows and doors, stairs, etc.
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: The Beauty of Ugliness

Postby minniev » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:09 am

LindaShorey wrote:Masterful work, Minnie. One of those that causes me to wonder if I'd have seen the potential. I fear not, which makes this a great image for inspiration/teaching: a reminder to think outside that pesky little box we get ourselves into on occasion.

We all have moments when we spot something unusual and find a way to make an image of it. I think those are the ones I enjoy the most, more than the iconic landmarks, the stuff that I know is not photo fodder but somehow I was able to make a pleasing image of it.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:33 am

minniev wrote:
We all have moments when we spot something unusual and find a way to make an image of it. I think those are the ones I enjoy the most, more than the iconic landmarks, the stuff that I know is not photo fodder but somehow I was able to make a pleasing image of it.

I am so with you! I have done very little traveling in recent years, but admit the low hanging fruit of Mt Rainier's breathtaking majesty isn't as photographically satisfying as my "red sticks in the snow" or the one posted in pM called "Tension" (grass seed head lying on top of water).
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Graham Smith
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Graham Smith » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:23 pm

I do like industrial stuff and I love this one. I just feel that it is a little too smooth, it needs a touch of harshness to it. It has slipped a bit too much towards soft pastoral landscape.
Graham

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:11 pm

minniev wrote:Not a city skyline for sure and not sure about the architecture but it sure ain't scenic or landscape. I have a secret vice of photographing what I call "industrials", working or failed industrial sites. I hate their pollution, the scars they put on the landscape, but I still feel compelled to photograph them. Here's one I found in Quebec. All critique, edits, suggestions welcome. Sometimes I process them harshly to emphasize the ugliness, sometimes creatively/artistically to make them seem prettier, sometimes mostly realistically to let them speak for themselves.

The title speaks for itself, no other words are needed for a description with this one Minnie !!! A fine capture along with post processing to get your point across.
Dave

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:19 am

minniev wrote:Not a city skyline for sure and not sure about the architecture but it sure ain't scenic or landscape. I have a secret vice of photographing what I call "industrials", working or failed industrial sites. I hate their pollution, the scars they put on the landscape, but I still feel compelled to photograph them. Here's one I found in Quebec. All critique, edits, suggestions welcome. Sometimes I process them harshly to emphasize the ugliness, sometimes creatively/artistically to make them seem prettier, sometimes mostly realistically to let them speak for themselves.

Well framed and exposed, Minnie. Very pleasing dof. Tones are rich. Love the pyramids of devastation. I especially enjoy the contrast between the grand fall colors (colours, since this was up north?) in the trees and the raw mounds and raped earth. You have made a very clear and forceful statement. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:25 pm

Graham Smith wrote:I do like industrial stuff and I love this one. I just feel that it is a little too smooth, it needs a touch of harshness to it. It has slipped a bit too much towards soft pastoral landscape.

Glad you liked it, it isn't my usual! Thanks for the idea Graham. My notion was to let any viewer see what they wanted: beauty, blight, or both. So perhaps a bit of harshness in the "blight" parts may help that happen?

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:26 pm

davechinn wrote:

The title speaks for itself, no other words are needed for a description with this one Minnie !!! A fine capture along with post processing to get your point across.
Dave

Thank you Dave. Sometimes a title comes to me right away and sometimes I search for one and never find it...

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:28 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:

Well framed and exposed, Minnie. Very pleasing dof. Tones are rich. Love the pyramids of devastation. I especially enjoy the contrast between the grand fall colors (colours, since this was up north?) in the trees and the raw mounds and raped earth. You have made a very clear and forceful statement. Matt

Glad you found a story in it Matt, my intention was to leave it ambiguous and let anyone looking find their own. That is part of what's interesting about contradictory images of industrials, and probably why I enjoy them. Thanks for your comments.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:10 am

My immediate thought was Beauty And The Beast, but I think your title is well suited and should be placed on the little placard when you display this.

I hate to say this, but the image would not have been as strong without the air pollution. I hope you have more of these! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “― Architecture Critique”