"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

― Architecture CritiqueFrom the outside looking in, from the inside looking out

Images of man-made structures; buildings, bridges, statues, roads and architectural elements like windows and doors, stairs, etc.
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

From the outside looking in, from the inside looking out

Postby LindaShorey » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Shot from my car in the rain this morning. Haven't decided about #2 yet, I think because I have a "fair weather" shot from last year I like better. Your impressions, suggestions, edits appreciated!
Attachments
1 P1040096.jpg
1 P1040096.jpg (363.84 KiB) Viewed 206 times
1 P1040106 straight.jpg
1 P1040106 straight.jpg (727.15 KiB) Viewed 206 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Re: From the outside looking in, from the inside looking out

Postby minniev » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:19 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Shot from my car in the rain this morning. Haven't decided about #2 yet, I think because I have a "fair weather" shot from last year I like better. Your impressions, suggestions, edits appreciated!

Great photo pair! I know you've been working a while on getting the "from the inside out" shots. I took one in Scotland that I'll get around to posting soon that was specifically in response to your discussion of this kind of shot.

Both are artistically well developed, and the contrast between the warms of #1 and the cools of #2 are striking when seen as a pair. It gives me a feel for what it may be like to be in either place. I like that I can see the people in the warmth of #1, comfy and relaxed (and eating well?), while in #2, I AM the people, looking at the cool wet outdoors.

An interesting concept and an interesting duo of shots.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Carol W
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Postby Carol W » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:52 pm

I like the first shot a lot. It has great warmth and coziness. The tree in the foreground almost seems to be providing privacy and shelter. There could be a lot of different stories to go with this picture.

Regarding the second shot, I like Minnie's comment " I AM the people, looking at the cool wet outdoors". It could convey a feeling of "safe and dry where I am" but for me it is more melancholy.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Psjunkie » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:14 am

Both images are well done Linda. #1 a touch voyeuristic maybe....giggle, really like the soft touch.... #2 just spot on for what you have been trying to achieve with rain on a winder....

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:21 pm

MInnie, thanks so much for your detailed comments. Looking forward to your own raindrops on glass pic and perhaps tips and further discussion.

Carol, I very much appreciate your comments. Love the tree-as-privacy reference, perfect! And yes, lots of stories to imagine :)

Frank, yes voyeurism did come to mind, and in an uncomfortable way when I saw the woman look out the window, lol. But I was in my car and prepared for a quick getaway. I was very glad I went downtown for my attempt of shooting through raindrops this time, instead of out in the countryside like last spring. So many more photo ops, near and far, varied with architecture and foliage and people. Your support is much appreciated.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:29 pm

I like #1 very much as well, but I am bothered by the white railing across the bottom of the frame. It seems to drag my eye down and away from the scene where I want my eye to stay. I think it could be cropped since the top of the window is tight to the frame, but alternatively (had I made it) I'd be looking at trying to at least reduce its brightness. I can't recall what apps you use. I tend to think of it as a job for ---- Photoshop! I'd select it and cut it to a gray to start. That way you wouldn't lose the flowers at the bottom. (Y)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:24 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I like #1 very much as well, but I am bothered by the white railing across the bottom of the frame. It seems to drag my eye down and away from the scene where I want my eye to stay. I think it could be cropped since the top of the window is tight to the frame, but alternatively (had I made it) I'd be looking at trying to at least reduce its brightness. I can't recall what apps you use. I tend to think of it as a job for ---- Photoshop! I'd select it and cut it to a gray to start. That way you wouldn't lose the flowers at the bottom. (Y)

Thanks so much for your feedback, Chuck. I liked the fence, so I actually lightened it in pp :) I can see your point, though, and I appreciate your mentioning. One thing I didn't care for and expected someone to mention is the tops of the sidewalk tables are level with (hidden by) the fence. In order to see those I would have had to shoot from a higher vantage point, not possible in this case. I recall years ago taking a photo by balancing on one foot on the car door frame - those days are very much long gone ;)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby St3v3M » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:22 am

I love the second! The composition with the colors and the leading lines, it's amazing depth of field and that beautiful perspective knowing you'll be in this soon enough. The first is good, and I agree with Chuch which may be why I don't like it as much, but the second, I really like the second! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Matt Quinn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:55 am

LindaShorey wrote:Shot from my car in the rain this morning. Haven't decided about #2 yet, I think because I have a "fair weather" shot from last year I like better. Your impressions, suggestions, edits appreciated!

Hi, Linda. Lovely shots. I tend to side with Chuck on the fence in #1; it keeps pulling my eye down. What would be lost to crop out the top windows and the rail? Would it make the scene more intimate and cozy? The partial covering of the Open sign is a great inclusion as is, without the effort to move left to get the full spelling. And #2 is perfect for me as is; wonderful contrast and opposition between the clear circles of drops and the fuzzy telephone and power lines. Easy for the eye to go back and forth between them. "Oh, the weather outside is frightful...." Well done. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby LindaShorey » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:48 pm

St3v3M wrote:I love the second! The composition with the colors and the leading lines, it's amazing depth of field and that beautiful perspective knowing you'll be in this soon enough. The first is good, and I agree with Chuch which may be why I don't like it as much, but the second, I really like the second! S-

Thanks so much for your comments, Steve. It was a very enjoyable hour and a half, and since Saturday, I didn't have to fight downtown workers for parking spaces :) Thanks for your interest!

Return to “― Architecture Critique”