"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

― Architecture CritiqueSt. Clements Kirk

Images of man-made structures; buildings, bridges, statues, roads and architectural elements like windows and doors, stairs, etc.
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: St. Clements Kirk

Postby St3v3M » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:04 am

There's no right or wrong way to shoot an image, only the way we see it, but with that said this is one of those I can't imagine seeing this another way. I'm sure I could climb the small hill and take the image from a more leveled view off to the left or the right, but I imagine it would be flat, without context, and boring to look at compared to what you've shown here. There's a beauty in what you call clutter, I call it The Story it was meant to tell! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:20 pm

St3v3M wrote:There's no right or wrong way to shoot an image, only the way we see it, but with that said this is one of those I can't imagine seeing this another way. I'm sure I could climb the small hill and take the image from a more leveled view off to the left or the right, but I imagine it would be flat, without context, and boring to look at compared to what you've shown here. There's a beauty in what you call clutter, I call it The Story it was meant to tell! S-

I agree. The fact that there's so many ways to shoot an image is what makes photography interesting.

Graham and I did climb the small hill, and got some classic shots of the structure (the best of which has a monster power line that i'll be cloning out), also some nice ones from below the right side, but since my own style runs to clutter/kitchen sink/lots of context, this one was my favorite, and I knew it would be from the moment I spotted this crooked little gate.

When I first started photographing landscapes, I read books and articles that told me exactly where the best view was for every iconic site in whatever spot I was visiting, right down to number of feet from the path and GPS numbers. Within a year, I'd abandoned that because it wasn't any fun just to duplicate what someone else had done, even when they'd done it wonderfully well. I wanted my own stuff.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:18 pm

minniev wrote:... I wanted my own stuff.

And thank goodness you did! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “― Architecture Critique”