― Architecture CritiqueGallery Door

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Gallery Door

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:50 pm

Duck I never take offense to comment..I just digest it all obtaining nourishment and dispelling waste. You make me feel a bit guilty as you have put way more thought into this image than I did taking and presenting..One thing I can assure you of about any of my postings ("what if this is meant as a sly prank to see how many attaboys a mediocre image can receive?") absolutely will never happen as I am here to learn and contribute what I can period...so a big thank you for such detailed comment...my reply to Matt pretty well sums up my intentions as I am rather shallow....

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:05 am

Duck, a very, very thoughtful analysis and springboard for discussion. I appreciate the time you took and making me think! Frank, you are not shallow. I liked the picture. I often think I am, in fact, shallow. I likes what I likes and I doesn't what I don't. My beloved grandad was fond of saying, "If I don't like it I won't eat it." (He in fact ate everything but I digress.) I skip over pictures that don't "grab" me. I comment on ones that do. But the challenge for me, too often, is not quite being able to put my finger on precisely what it was that grabbed me. Duck, you carefully analyzed what it was that didn't (or did) grab you, but you waited to see what others felt. I only seconded what Minnie said but I still can't exactly express why I like the picture. I think mostly it was the "Dutch tilt" and the reflection. When I walk through a museum or gallery there will be many things, paintings, photographs, sculptures, quilts or tapestries or whatever that either reach out and draw me in...or not. I likes what I likes and I doesn't what I don't. :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:37 am

Thanks for comment Chuck and please let the conversation expand...I really know zilch about art and or photography as I've absolutely no formal training whatsoever on either subject..but like you I know what I like when I see it..

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by Duck » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:10 am

The interesting thing I have found in my many years of being both an artist and teacher is that often one has the ability to put into use many of the compositional elements and, to some degree the symbolism into an image, without really being conscious of it. To be able to vocalize such intentions during or after the shutter is pressed requires practice, as with anything else. While you may say, and even believe, that "your intentions were shallow," I have no doubt that your subconscious was utilizing all your past experiences when searching out, reacting to or happening upon this image. This is a skill we, as artists/photographers, hone every time we venture out looking for that image worthy of capturing. In your own words you said it best in your opening statement when you expressed this composition held interest for you.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:41 am

Understood Duck and thank you....

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:13 am

Duck wrote:...
So, for me, it was a lesson learned. Just because I could not see the image's value up front doesn't mean it's not there.

I believe we instinctively evaluate things in a matter of seconds, a sort of survival instinct if you will, and even more now in the age of image proliferation. It's okay then to not like an image, it's part of who we are and if we're to be honest, it's a good thing otherwise what would be the point? For me then it's about learning what I like, what I don't, but more importantly why. Is it outside the genre I'm comfortable with, is it something I don't relate to, or is there something more, and if so what?

We're all here for the same reasons, to help one another and improve our own work in the same. It's a friendship like nowhere else! -
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:46 am

St3v3M wrote:[...] For me then it's about learning what I like, what I don't, but more importantly why. [...]

The why is the key. Once one understands why something works it becomes easier to repeat in future images. Just like working on getting consistently accurate exposure is part of the learning process so is getting consistently strong compositions. You hit the nail on the head, Steve.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:49 am

Duck wrote:... You hit the nail on the head, Steve.

Every now and then, every now and then! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"