Attachments
20170716FGS_2791-Edit_Fountain.jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:19 pm

it looks like an interesting place. I could see some fantastic images coming out of this on a rainy/reflective day. As an abstract oval, it looks crooked. Either make it way more crooked or straighten it or different POV. Perhaps crop the railing on top (or include more of it), it is too strong on the edge. ...

The water looks hard, that is it doesn't look like water - For bricks and people I think you gave a good treatment for the harsher lighting - but in the end (for me) the composition doesn't work.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:53 pm

I keep looking at it, very intrigued, not able to say I love it (I very much like the placement of the people walking briskly toward it) but I think the apparent tilt of the fountain is bothering me. I always approach something with "If I had made it" in mind: if I had made it I think I would level the oval of the fountain because my perception is that the oval should be level so the water flows all the way around, not just to the right.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:22 pm

Thank you both very much for comment..It is a round fountain with a no reveal edge, I think the perspective and angle taken is what has everything skewed...I looked at a counterclockwise shift but thought the center fountain spray started looking tilted....oh well, I will explore the suggestions....

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:40 am

Psjunkie wrote:All comment appreciated....

Please excuse my curiosity but I have to ask, is this a composite? It feels like a combination of several images, but it's the people that stand out the most. They are scaled properly and there's an appropriate shadow, but something feels blurred about them. I see the same thing on the light fixtures rear of the fountain.

I'm more than curious now as it works but doesn't and now I want to know why. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Psjunkie
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:59 am

St3v3M wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:All comment appreciated....

Please excuse my curiosity but I have to ask, is this a composite? It feels like a combination of several images, but it's the people that stand out the most. They are scaled properly and there's an appropriate shadow, but something feels blurred about them. I see the same thing on the light fixtures rear of the fountain.

I'm more than curious now as it works but doesn't and now I want to know why. S-
Nothing to excuse St3v3M...it's just an old fashion snap shot...maybe over processed a touch.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:14 am

Psjunkie wrote:Nothing to excuse St3v3M...it's just an old fashion snap shot...maybe over processed a touch.

I'm not much of a pixel-peeper, and I'm sure my eyes are going, but I had wondered too if it was something to do with the f/stop or processing.

I think what throws me most is the feeling the fountain is tilted even though the rest of the image is straight. Perspective is an interesting thing.

I appreciate you reply to this and setting my mind at ease. I would have liked it either way, but like it even more now. Thank you so much! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:56 am

Frank, Good capture. Strong texture, very full range of tones, something I need to learn to shoot for. Two questions: on my monitor there is a very slight aberration around the fellow with some dark on his rim and some light behind him as if something had been erased. Second, why did you not crop out the folks top right so that the couple would be the only people there? Great angle for the shot; good motion in the couple. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Psjunkie
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:14 am

Matt Quinn wrote:Frank, Good capture. Strong texture, very full range of tones, something I need to learn to shoot for. Two questions: on my monitor there is a very slight aberration around the fellow with some dark on his rim and some light behind him as if something had been erased. Second, why did you not crop out the folks top right so that the couple would be the only people there? Great angle for the shot; good motion in the couple. Matt
Thank you for comment Matt...I might have used a bit of a mask in some areas as I processed this pretty hard....just left the folks I guess cause they were there.....