"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

― Architecture CritiqueBethel Church

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Bethel Church

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:36 am

minniev wrote:church (41 of 1).jpgfungu (41 of 1)-2.jpgfungu (41 of 1)-3.jpgFormed in the 1830,s this little church survived the Civil War, and still has trenches on its grounds from the battle that took place around it.

I"ve photographed it several times, still looking for better. All ideas, critique, edits welcome.

It amazes architecture this old is still standing let alone as beautiful as it is. I'd love to know more about this place and it's history!

The first is a classic shot, one that could be used as a powerpoint or advertisement. It stands alone quite nice and has so many stories to tell. The torn pages intrigue me too, leaving me to wonder if they belong to the bible next to it, and why are they torn-out sitting there. The open door has a message all its own and can be viewed from a variety of ways. There's the open door, an invitation if you will, the path our eye follows, or for the spiritual The Gates. Are the torn pages our ticket, a test, or the key to much more? There's even a figure waiting in the open door!

It's been awhile since I've seen an image with so much sub-text and will be interested to hear what everyone sees in it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:16 pm

Minnie, This is my first post, so I may get it all coffluggied. In the first photo, the print on the pages is too muddy for me, but it may have been that way or it may be these aging eyes. Both the book and the page, I thought, could benefit from some highlighting or brightening -- not sure which or how -- but they don't jump off the photo as I would like them to. Soft focus is nicely subtle.The text (score?) in the second photo is much clearer. The shadows outside suggest it was a mid-day photo which is really challenging and seems to wash out and flatten the church in the final photo. I very much like the theme and have tried the same with a meeting house here on the cape with far less success. You might want to check out Lenswork; there is a series of photos on Quaker Meeting Houses in Massachusetts that has the same "feel" as yours. Well done. Thanks for sharing these. They encourage me to experiment. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:52 am

Matt Quinn wrote:Minnie, This is my first post, so I may get it all coffluggied. In the first photo, the print on the pages is too muddy for me, but it may have been that way or it may be these aging eyes. Both the book and the page, I thought, could benefit from some highlighting or brightening -- not sure which or how -- but they don't jump off the photo as I would like them to. Soft focus is nicely subtle.The text (score?) in the second photo is much clearer. The shadows outside suggest it was a mid-day photo which is really challenging and seems to wash out and flatten the church in the final photo. I very much like the theme and have tried the same with a meeting house here on the cape with far less success. You might want to check out Lenswork; there is a series of photos on Quaker Meeting Houses in Massachusetts that has the same "feel" as yours. Well done. Thanks for sharing these. They encourage me to experiment. Matt

Thanks Matt, for these detailed comments. I think some of the muddiness in the text of the Bible is mine. There were only a couple of lines in sharp focus (which was a choice), and I fear my processing may have blurred them more than I intended. I might can retrieve the original sharpness a bit. I think Frank's rework of the church from outside, where he beat down some of those bright reflections on the foliage, was an improvement. It was mid-day on a bright summer day, and of course dark in the church, so it was a bit of a balancing act.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:59 am

St3v3M wrote:
minniev wrote:church (41 of 1).jpgfungu (41 of 1)-2.jpgfungu (41 of 1)-3.jpgFormed in the 1830,s this little church survived the Civil War, and still has trenches on its grounds from the battle that took place around it.

I"ve photographed it several times, still looking for better. All ideas, critique, edits welcome.

It amazes architecture this old is still standing let alone as beautiful as it is. I'd love to know more about this place and it's history!

The first is a classic shot, one that could be used as a powerpoint or advertisement. It stands alone quite nice and has so many stories to tell. The torn pages intrigue me too, leaving me to wonder if they belong to the bible next to it, and why are they torn-out sitting there. The open door has a message all its own and can be viewed from a variety of ways. There's the open door, an invitation if you will, the path our eye follows, or for the spiritual The Gates. Are the torn pages our ticket, a test, or the key to much more? There's even a figure waiting in the open door!

It's been awhile since I've seen an image with so much sub-text and will be interested to hear what everyone sees in it! S-

Thanks Steve. It appears there are still some services held there - perhaps with reading out of that torn old Bible, most certainly with the hymnals in the pews. For the pictures, I left them turned to the pages where I found them. I am glad some of the mystery I felt and intended comes through. Old buildings hold so many stories and secrets, and we find what we will. Every time I go here I try again and will keep doing so!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones