"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

― Architecture CritiqueWindow ode to Ernst-Ulrich Schafer

Images of man-made structures; buildings, bridges, statues, roads and architectural elements like windows and doors, stairs, etc.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Window ode to Ernst-Ulrich Schafer

Postby Duck » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:38 pm

(Warning, gushing admiration ahead)

I make no lie that I really (REALLY) admire the work of our own Ernst-Ulrich Schafer. Specially his more abstract art pieces. But I'm not the only one so I feel I'm in good company here. Seeing what Ernst shares here on this forum has pushed me to see beyond the obvious, something I get stuck in because of my more commercial product work. This past weekend I held a meet up designed specifically to pull us out of our comfort zones and force us to look for images we otherwise would not bother with. During that time I came across several architectural elements I felt worth exploring. This image is one of those (I'll post others later.) Let me know what you think about this particular piece. Does the subject hold any interest? Does the processing and presentation add or detract from it? What, if anything, can be done to improve on the subject? Thanks in advance.

Unitas_Photography-2132.jpg
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Re: Window ode to Ernst-Ulrich Schafer

Postby Duck » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:04 pm

Here is another (less abstract) architectural element I found interesting. In this case it was the two satellite dishes that caught my eye.

Unitas_Photography-2152.jpg

mikec
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby mikec » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:56 pm

I like the pictures, the angles and the textures but I did not like at all the frames. They were the first things that stuck my eyes.
Mike C
Enjoying the sun and sea in Miami, FL

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:03 pm

Hey Duck, Kodos for you getting out there and stretching those eyes. I like both image alot, especially the graphic quality of them. Presentation for me is nice, maybe not so big with the 2nd canvas.

Best to ya, Ernst
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:37 pm

mikec wrote:I like the pictures, the angles and the textures but I did not like at all the frames. They were the first things that stuck my eyes.

Thanks for the comments Mike. Originally I did not have a frame around the image and after some consideration and testing I felt the frame set the image off from the rest of the screen clutter on the forum. That matted image look really helps the image stand off and come forward (in my opinion.) I repeated a similar frame around the second image but the thinner inner frame looked 'off' to me for some reason. Once I expanded the size it just seemed to fit better. Can it be brought down in size somewhat? most likely. I will be experimenting with some form of balance in the near future.

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Hey Duck, Kodos for you getting out there and stretching those eyes. I like both image alot, especially the graphic quality of them. Presentation for me is nice, maybe not so big with the 2nd canvas.
Best to ya, Ernst

Thanks Ernst, that means a great deal and I appreciate you commenting on the images. As I do not do any kind of printing, per se, and just tend to buy 'off the shelf' frames with simple mats for my own decor I do not have the refined eye for good matting ratios. I can definitely see how much more impact an image has when presented in a frame, as you do, so that was a nice lesson to learn. I think in the future, for me, a smaller and simpler frame may serve me better. As I mention to Mike I will be experimenting. Thanks again for your comments.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:03 am

Duck wrote:(Warning, gushing admiration ahead)

I make no lie that I really (REALLY) admire the work of our own Ernst-Ulrich Schafer. Specially his more abstract art pieces. But I'm not the only one so I feel I'm in good company here. Seeing what Ernst shares here on this forum has pushed me to see beyond the obvious, something I get stuck in because of my more commercial product work. This past weekend I held a meet up designed specifically to pull us out of our comfort zones and force us to look for images we otherwise would not bother with. During that time I came across several architectural elements I felt worth exploring. This image is one of those (I'll post others later.) Let me know what you think about this particular piece. Does the subject hold any interest? Does the processing and presentation add or detract from it? What, if anything, can be done to improve on the subject? Thanks in advance.

I too have found inspiration here and am proud our little family is doing everything it can to help us to see!

The first is the best, but I see beauty in the second as well! I'm looking forward to more! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:01 pm

St3v3M wrote:I too have found inspiration here and am proud our little family is doing everything it can to help us to see! [...]

So true, Steve. Just like your "Stair Fall" image, I too was inspired by our very own Mr. Schafer to "look beyond the typical." I feel we all need a good push out of our norm sometimes in order to advance artistically. These are two example I normally would not consider doing had it not been for this community.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Duck wrote:
St3v3M wrote:So true, Steve. Just like your "Stair Fall" image, I too was inspired by our very own Mr. Schafer to "look beyond the typical." I feel we all need a good push out of our norm sometimes in order to advance artistically. These are two example I normally would not consider doing had it not been for this community.

I've been thinking lately that stepping out of our comfort zones will help us in the area we choose. Learning to see is the important thing! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Matt Quinn » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:39 pm

Duck wrote:(Warning, gushing admiration ahead)

Unitas_Photography-2132.jpg

Can I include a door in that ode? Driving down a local road, I spied this door that seemed to cry out for Ernst and his camera. Apologies for any unintended pretense. Matt
Attachments
Ernst's door  (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:46 pm

Duck: First, I agree with you that we all learn and grow from Ernst's considerable gifts that he kindly shares with us here. And learning from one another is the most powerful benefit a photo forum has to offer. In the media interviews I did about my gallery show, I always pointed out that the greatest influence on my photography has been my photo forums and my only teachers have been the other members.

My favorite is the second one with the dishes. The only thing that would improve it would be cat sitting in the upper left window.

I like Matt's image too, because of the textures but particularly because of the use of the shadow as a compositional element.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Return to “― Architecture Critique”