"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

― Architecture CritiqueFort Gaines Part 3

Images of man-made structures; buildings, bridges, statues, roads and architectural elements like windows and doors, stairs, etc.
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Fort Gaines Part 3

Postby minniev » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:30 pm

fort (50 of 1)-3.jpg
fort (50 of 1)-5.jpg
fort (50 of 1)-4.jpg

Here's some color shots of Fort Gaines' interior. The color is subtle - the oranges of the brick and the blues of the slate floors,plus that little spot of red in the blacksmithy display (the live blacksmith had got sick from heat and retreated to the gift shop to recover) but I wanted to see how the images would do that way. All comments, suggestions, edits, and conversions are welcome.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Re: Fort Gaines Part 3

Postby ErichBrunner » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:19 pm

minniev wrote:fort (50 of 1)-3.jpgfort (50 of 1)-5.jpgfort (50 of 1)-4.jpg

Here's some color shots of Fort Gaines' interior. The color is subtle - the oranges of the brick and the blues of the slate floors,plus that little spot of red in the blacksmithy display (the live blacksmith had got sick from heat and retreated to the gift shop to recover) but I wanted to see how the images would do that way. All comments, suggestions, edits, and conversions are welcome.

Min, these are all interesting. I love seeing photos of historic places. The blacksmith photo comes across as a still life. It is wonderful. You really got a good range of tones and the composition is spot on. It looks like you arranged all the items (who knows, maybe you did!). It has a lot of impact and the post processing is just right.
Erich

PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby PietFrancke » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:37 pm

I like these images very much. They make me feel a little claustrophobic with all the brick work though. Those arches are unbelievable. I can't imagine the engineering knowledge required to put them in place and keep them from falling on one's head.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Psjunkie » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:14 am

All well done minniev....#2 a favorite, was #1 with fogged lens......exposures well handled.

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:14 pm

ErichBrunner wrote:
minniev wrote:fort (50 of 1)-3.jpgfort (50 of 1)-5.jpgfort (50 of 1)-4.jpg

Min, these are all interesting. I love seeing photos of historic places. The blacksmith photo comes across as a still life. It is wonderful. You really got a good range of tones and the composition is spot on. It looks like you arranged all the items (who knows, maybe you did!). It has a lot of impact and the post processing is just right.
Erich

Thanks Erich. The blacksmithy was an absolute furnace and was the only place that my lens didn't fog up, so I had some fun in there with all the tools and the memories of hanging out in my grandfather's blacksmithy watching him repair wagon wheels and such - the smell is one of those indelibles that lives in one's memory forever. The arrangement was as they had it, but I liked the colors. Processed entirely in LR starting with some interesting presets I got recently that apparently do their effect by unusual manipulations of the tone curve.

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:15 pm

PietFrancke wrote:I like these images very much. They make me feel a little claustrophobic with all the brick work though. Those arches are unbelievable. I can't imagine the engineering knowledge required to put them in place and keep them from falling on one's head.

Thanks Piet. Some of the tunnels and stairs are a little tight, but fun to explore. They must be pretty durable to have endured the onslaught of as many hurricanes as they have over almost 200 years.

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:20 pm

Psjunkie wrote:All well done minniev....#2 a favorite, was #1 with fogged lens......exposures well handled.

Thanks, Frank. The third was almost obscured with the lens fog, I used considerable dehaze on that one. The first one was only moderately affected by comparison. Some of the effect on these is from the processing I used, to see how it would work with the lensfog problem - LR only, but a matte effect with some weird manipulations of the tone curve.

The blacksmith shop was fog-free, I guess the fire was cleaning up the moisture to some extent.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:13 pm

I think they are terrific! I know that indescribable tang in the air of a smithy. I love it, but I also love the tang of acetic acid in the fixer of a wet darkroom and am always surprised at the number of folks who hate it.

That brickwork in 19th century fortifications is always so impressive! I found myself wondering Schultz from Mobile. Is that the private room of an NCO? Sergeant Schultz by any chance? And not the Hogan's Heroes guy?
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:07 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I think they are terrific! I know that indescribable tang in the air of a smithy. I love it, but I also love the tang of acetic acid in the fixer of a wet darkroom and am always surprised at the number of folks who hate it.

That brickwork in 19th century fortifications is always so impressive! I found myself wondering Schultz from Mobile. Is that the private room of an NCO? Sergeant Schultz by any chance? And not the Hogan's Heroes guy?

thanks Chuck, glad you liked em. The signage didn't say who Schultz was but outside the placard said this building was NCO quarters. Some rooms were doubles and some were singles, but a far cry from the log barracks that have long since tumbled down.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:26 am

minniev wrote:thanks Chuck, glad you liked em. The signage didn't say who Schultz was but outside the placard said this building was NCO quarters. Some rooms were doubles and some were singles, but a far cry from the log barracks that have long since tumbled down.

Thanks, Min. I think that says that Schultz was an NCO. If that room is a single then he was likely a little higher than a corporal or what we called a "buck" sergeant. Maybe an ordnance sergeant or first sergeant ("top").
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Return to “― Architecture Critique”