“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's CornerMansion at Batsto

Our man-made structures are works of marvel and awe. Buildings, homes, bridges, airports and structures of all kinds can be posted here.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
User avatar
ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:18 pm
Reputation: 9
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Mansion at Batsto

Postby ErichBrunner » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:22 pm

I've shot this mansion before and never came up with anything that I really liked. Today, I happened to be there right as the sun was coming up. Since it was very early, I had the place to myself and could take my time looking for good angles to shoot this mansion from. Also, the light was really in my favor this morning. Suggestions for improvement are always welcome.
Attachments
Batsto Mansion.jpg

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Reputation: 117
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Mansion at Batsto

Postby minniev » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:39 pm

Very nice Erich. You got perfect light and you handled it well, retaining all the detail in the lights and the delicate colors in the clouds. Your angle, to my view, is as near perfect as you can get. I don't know what you did to get this glow/glasslike look but it works to create even more sense of depth. As for suggestions, I would probably brighten the darks in the porch and shrub just a touch to try and retrieve a bit more detail, but too much would look unnatural and HDR-ish. This is a very appealing image.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
uuglypher
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:57 pm
Reputation: 20
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Mansion at Batsto

Postby uuglypher » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:02 pm

I know this mansion, have been there and inside several times, and over the years have taken some pictures...none memorable. This image of yours, just after sunrise, yet with mansion not yet in direct illumination is remarkable for the ... mood it projects...which I know doesn't characterize the mood other than by its unique nature. It seems to me to me to be something of a morning version of the subdued lighting on a snowy mountain that briefly follows upon the passage of the "alpenglow" of the low, falling sun at day's end. I don't have a name for it, but that's how I see what you have captured here.

"Anticipatory morning glow" ??? doesn't quite roll off the tongue, though......does it ?

Dave

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Posts: 894
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Reputation: 95
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Mansion at Batsto

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:10 pm

Very interesting architecture - all those levels taking us up and up. With the shadows and your pp, I find myself peering into each window looking for menacing ghosts or such :) For that reason, I also like the darkness of the porch as-is, mystery and mood. I prefer to imagine what may or may not be there to having it clearly defined in the image itself. A lot of impact!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 1734
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Reputation: 149
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Mansion at Batsto

Postby Duck » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:47 pm

I really like framing the house within the trees. It creates a sense of space without crowding the house. The lower angle of view adds a majesty befitting the structure, specially with that cupola reaching upwards. One addition that would add a lot of life to this image would be some light coming through a window or two, but that may be a far reach. Specially if the house is vacant or otherwise out of bounds.

That 'glow' seems to be caused by haloing that is happening on the contrasting edges. To me, it seems like you pushed the contrast a bit too much (I could be wrong) for the image and my question would be, "why?" Is it for effect or mood? When I reduce the contrast in this image I see the shadow detail so much better, albeit with less drama. Without any feedback I can only conjecture as to what you are trying to accomplish and, if my guess is correct, I think there might be better ways of accomplishing it rather than pushing contrast.

Viewing the image in its posted resolution is definitely better as the shadows don't get as crushed from being compressed to the smaller size. The texture of the stucco, however, really stands out and that is because of the contrast push. Kind of like when an image gets oversharpened, all you notice is the texture. Also, because it is sunrise, I half expect the image to be a bit warmer, specially in the clouds.

I love the subject, but then I am partial to old victorian houses for their charm and architectural character. For this image I love the framing, though I wonder if a couple steps to the left could have helped in a few areas; the cupola and the tree are almost touching, reducing the visual strength of that part of the building and the outbuilding just over the rise, bottom left, could use some separation. I also wonder if those couple of step would show us a bit more of the side of the house giving us a better sense of size. As is I can just barely distinguish the roof line through the trees.

Of course there is a lot of subjectivity and it really depends on what the final vision you have for this image. It's a great subject and looks like the original file will allow you to play with processing this in any number of ways.

Just my two bits.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:18 pm
Reputation: 9
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Re: Mansion at Batsto

Postby ErichBrunner » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:07 am

minniev wrote:Very nice Erich. You got perfect light and you handled it well, retaining all the detail in the lights and the delicate colors in the clouds. Your angle, to my view, is as near perfect as you can get. I don't know what you did to get this glow/glasslike look but it works to create even more sense of depth. As for suggestions, I would probably brighten the darks in the porch and shrub just a touch to try and retrieve a bit more detail, but too much would look unnatural and HDR-ish. This is a very appealing image.


Thank you for that assessment. For some reason, the version I have is a tad brighter than what posted. So, there is a bit more detail in the file when I view it on my monitor. I'm pretty sure that I will make a print of this, so we will see how those details translate to the printer. The glow is exactly that. I find that sometimes a touch of the glamor glow filter in NIK can produce a nice effect. I rarely use the presets. Instead I use the sliders to add just a touch of glow. Interestingly the lens I used for this photo is a 45 year old Vivitar 28mm that my father bought around 1970 for his Nikon F. I have been in the market for a wide angle lens that approximates a 35mm on a cropped sensor digital camera. Yesterday I remembered that I have all my father's old camera equipment so I put the lens on and decided to see if it would work ok on a modern camera. I think the answer is: Yes, it works quite well. It is completely manual; but the building obliged by remaining perfectly still. That made focusing pretty easy. I guess the old adage is true: "Camera bodies come and go. Good glass is forever." Thanks for taking a look.
erich

User avatar
ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:18 pm
Reputation: 9
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Re: Mansion at Batsto

Postby ErichBrunner » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:11 am

uuglypher wrote:I know this mansion, have been there and inside several times, and over the years have taken some pictures...none memorable. This image of yours, just after sunrise, yet with mansion not yet in direct illumination is remarkable for the ... mood it projects...which I know doesn't characterize the mood other than by its unique nature. It seems to me to me to be something of a morning version of the subdued lighting on a snowy mountain that briefly follows upon the passage of the "alpenglow" of the low, falling sun at day's end. I don't have a name for it, but that's how I see what you have captured here.

"Anticipatory morning glow" ??? doesn't quite roll off the tongue, though......does it ?

Dave

I agree that the light was just right for this shot. With all the improvements in software and electronic wizardry, I think it is still almost impossible to replicate nature by arranging electrons. Interestingly I used an old lens that I remembered that I had (the lens is actually my father's but I have all his old equipment in storage in my house). Thank you for your kind words.
Erich

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Reputation: 19
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Mansion at Batsto

Postby PietFrancke » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:14 am

I think this shot is stunning. If I ever get close to this, I will die a happy man. My eyes enjoy exploring this image, but for me the best thing is that it is somehow soothing to me. I can't say why, it just feels substantial and present in the beginning of the unknown new day. Good job Erich.

User avatar
ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:18 pm
Reputation: 9
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Re: Mansion at Batsto

Postby ErichBrunner » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:26 am

Duck wrote:I really like framing the house within the trees. It creates a sense of space without crowding the house. The lower angle of view adds a majesty befitting the structure, specially with that cupola reaching upwards. One addition that would add a lot of life to this image would be some light coming through a window or two, but that may be a far reach. Specially if the house is vacant or otherwise out of bounds.

That 'glow' seems to be caused by haloing that is happening on the contrasting edges. To me, it seems like you pushed the contrast a bit too much (I could be wrong) for the image and my question would be, "why?" Is it for effect or mood? When I reduce the contrast in this image I see the shadow detail so much better, albeit with less drama. Without any feedback I can only conjecture as to what you are trying to accomplish and, if my guess is correct, I think there might be better ways of accomplishing it rather than pushing contrast.

Viewing the image in its posted resolution is definitely better as the shadows don't get as crushed from being compressed to the smaller size. The texture of the stucco, however, really stands out and that is because of the contrast push. Kind of like when an image gets oversharpened, all you notice is the texture. Also, because it is sunrise, I half expect the image to be a bit warmer, specially in the clouds.

I love the subject, but then I am partial to old victorian houses for their charm and architectural character. For this image I love the framing, though I wonder if a couple steps to the left could have helped in a few areas; the cupola and the tree are almost touching, reducing the visual strength of that part of the building and the outbuilding just over the rise, bottom left, could use some separation. I also wonder if those couple of step would show us a bit more of the side of the house giving us a better sense of size. As is I can just barely distinguish the roof line through the trees.

Of course there is a lot of subjectivity and it really depends on what the final vision you have for this image. It's a great subject and looks like the original file will allow you to play with processing this in any number of ways.

Just my two bits.

Thank you so much for the "two bits". I was looking for a mysterious quality which explains my decisions regarding the processing. I can understand, however, that this processing comes at a cost. You have brought that to my attention, and I appreciate that. I think that this image has a lot of potential and I am certainly going to go back to the original and explore other options. That is exactly the kind of information that will help me to see things that I would otherwise miss.

As for the separation. I will also go back and take a closer look at that. There was not much room to move left or right without altering the balance of the framing that the trees create. I did move around quite a bit to get what I thought was the ideal composition. Maybe with some judicious cloning I can create some space. That approach, of course, has its own hazards. Your critique has given me things to think about and you indicated alternative approaches to the processing. I'll certainly work on it. If I come up with something worthwhile, I'll post my results. Again, thank you.
erich

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Posts: 717
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Reputation: 30
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Mansion at Batsto

Postby davechinn » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:40 am

ErichBrunner wrote:I've shot this mansion before and never came up with anything that I really liked. Today, I happened to be there right as the sun was coming up. Since it was very early, I had the place to myself and could take my time looking for good angles to shoot this mansion from. Also, the light was really in my favor this morning. Suggestions for improvement are always welcome.


I have no suggestions other than maybe a little bit more foreground. Other that that, I like the image and your chosen processing. I concur with whats already been said, but I also think the image stands on its own with what you already have. Nice work Erich !!! Isn't nice to be able to wander around without any interference or distractions from others?
Dave


Return to “City Skylines & Architecture”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests