"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

― Architecture CritiquePrinceton Vaulting

Images of man-made structures; buildings, bridges, statues, roads and architectural elements like windows and doors, stairs, etc.
ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Princeton Vaulting

Postby ErichBrunner » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:35 pm

[attachment=0]First post on this forum. So, greetings everyone. This photo had a ton of bicycles visible through the windows leaning against the building. They were a real pain to remove; but I think the cleaner look of the photo was worth the effort.
Attachments
Princeton Vaulting score 9 Third  place Image of the year..jpg

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Princeton Vaulting

Postby Duck » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:01 am

Welcome to photoMENTORIS, Erich. I see you're off to a great start with a pretty impressive sample. I live close to Yale, who shares very similar architecture, so I can definitely appreciate this image. I love that gothic look. I think you did an awesome job with the bikes. If it's anything like the bikes around the Yale dorms I will attest to how cluttered they make an image look.

Looking forward to learning more about you and your photo work. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me, any Admin or one of our Founding Members. We'll be more than happy to help you out.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby Psjunkie » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:54 am

Where you been hiding this work Erich....well done, not generally a fan of toned images but this seems to work..good to see you here.

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:02 am

ErichBrunner wrote:[attachment=0]First post on this forum. So, greetings everyone. This photo had a ton of bicycles visible through the windows leaning against the building. They were a real pain to remove; but I think the cleaner look of the photo was worth the effort.

Wow! That is a great image, Erich. The toning is excellent and really brings out the gothic architectural features. Though it there's some distortion, it does not detract and actually adds a bit of interest.I cannot find a trace of those bikes, so I"m very impressed with your unbicycling work- yes, it was definitely worth it. The lines and rows are powerful leads to guide us through the image. This a a winner, full of intricate detail.

Welcome to pM and thanks for bringing us such a lovely imafe to start with!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby LindaShorey » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:59 pm

Stunning details and architecture, very impressive image Erich. I feel like I can almost see a ghost at the end of the long walkway :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

uuglypher
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Postby uuglypher » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:49 pm

A superbly accomplished image, Erich,
I thought I saw some barrel distortion progressing down the archway, but checked with a grid and it was illusory...contributed to, I think, by the unusual pattern of lighting on the upper parts of the arches.

Dave

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:48 am

Really nice image Erich! Love the toning.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus

Postby ErichBrunner » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:47 pm

Thank you all for your supportive comments. I would have replied individually; but have not figured out all the bells and whistles yet. I have many photos of Princeton; but this one is my favorite. I've entered it in competitions and done pretty well. I figured I would make this my first post here. Hopefully subsequent posts won't be an endless procession of mediocrity. Thank you all for your responses.
Erich

ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus

Postby ErichBrunner » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:51 pm

minniev wrote:
ErichBrunner wrote:[attachment=0]First post on this forum. So, greetings everyone. This photo had a ton of bicycles visible through the windows leaning against the building. They were a real pain to remove; but I think the cleaner look of the photo was worth the effort.

Wow! That is a great image, Erich. The toning is excellent and really brings out the gothic architectural features. Though it there's some distortion, it does not detract and actually adds a bit of interest.I cannot find a trace of those bikes, so I"m very impressed with your unbicycling work- yes, it was definitely worth it. The lines and rows are powerful leads to guide us through the image. This a a winner, full of intricate detail.

Welcome to pM and thanks for bringing us such a lovely imafe to start with!

Found the "reply" button. The bicycles were the biggest challenge in this photo. There were so many lines on the building that had to line up. essentially I enlarged the image in ps to the point of seeing individual pixels and then carefully removed the unwanted. It was a lot of tedious work that, thankfully paid dividends in the finial project.
Erich

ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus

Postby ErichBrunner » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:53 pm

Duck wrote:Welcome to photoMENTORIS, Erich. I see you're off to a great start with a pretty impressive sample. I live close to Yale, who shares very similar architecture, so I can definitely appreciate this image. I love that gothic look. I think you did an awesome job with the bikes. If it's anything like the bikes around the Yale dorms I will attest to how cluttered they make an image look.

Looking forward to learning more about you and your photo work. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me, any Admin or one of our Founding Members. We'll be more than happy to help you out.

I'm pleased to be here. Many of my friends from another forum have migrated here, so I figured I would come over and see what it is all about. I like what I've seen so far. Thank you for the welcome message and your comments on my photo. Much appreciated.
Erich

Return to “― Architecture Critique”