"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

― Architecture CritiqueWindsor Ruins

Images of man-made structures; buildings, bridges, statues, roads and architectural elements like windows and doors, stairs, etc.
Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Windsor Ruins

Postby Psjunkie » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:48 pm

minniev wrote:You do more monochrome than I do, and you've taught me tricks about PS for years, so I am always interested in your interpretations. Yes, my version is a toned image. You got more separation of tones between columns and trees than I did.

I'm posting the color version, and would be interested in the comments from anyone still watching this one.
Pretty strong yellow/orange on the columns for me minniev...only my opinion, try camera raw, luminosity sliders to the right with yellow and orange, then saturation left with yellow all to taste and let me know what you think, you can mask just the columns if you think it takes too much from the greenery.

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby minniev » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:24 pm

Let's add another angle. From beneath the Old Soldier, the oldest tree on the premises, beneath which the Union army camped during the battle of Port Gibson. Then I first photographed this tree it was in a thick forest, and it loomed among the trees, casting a canopy over a wide area. It is very forlorn and endangered since the forest was logged, but I'm still glad they didn't take it too.
windsor (1 of 1).jpg

(thanks Frank for the hint on the oranges, I am having a bit of a time adjusting to new camera, which renders colors more intense among other things.Still working on a LR preset that will combat that better. Even in its decrepit state, it casts a powerful shadow.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Psjunkie » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:26 pm

minniev wrote:Let's add another angle. From beneath the Old Soldier, the oldest tree on the premises, beneath which the Union army camped during the battle of Port Gibson. Then I first photographed this tree it was in a thick forest, and it loomed among the trees, casting a canopy over a wide area. It is very forlorn and endangered since the forest was logged, but I'm still glad they didn't take it too. windsor (1 of 1).jpg

(thanks Frank for the hint on the oranges, I am having a bit of a time adjusting to new camera, which renders colors more intense among other things.Still working on a LR preset that will combat that better. Even in its decrepit state, it casts a powerful shadow.
Love the composition of this one minniev....

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:28 pm

minniev wrote:You do more monochrome than I do, and you've taught me tricks about PS for years, so I am always interested in your interpretations. Yes, my version is a toned image. You got more separation of tones between columns and trees than I did.

I'm posting the color version, and would be interested in the comments from anyone still watching this one.

I am watching also. I like the color very much. I think I have largely lost the skill of seeing in monochrome. I used to shoot more than half my work in B&W, but digital makes color so easy and fun and light sources be hanged. :p

I suspect that one thing perhaps missing from pictures of this once-great structure is a sense of scale. I've spent 20 minutes looking at Google pictures of the ruin, yet the great majority have no people in them, and that's the easiest way to show how massive and tall those columns are. Now Min, you were likely working alone so t'ain't your fault, but if you have a companion sometime, have him/her walk over and stand, say, touching the base of a column and craning to see the top. I cannot find a single picture like that, yet it's the picture that would show just how huge this thing is. I hope you don't mind my posting a purloined picture... If you do I'll delete it.
Windsor scale.JPG
This was about the only picture I could find that came close to showing the scale relative to humans.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:05 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
minniev wrote:Let's add another angle. From beneath the Old Soldier, the oldest tree on the premises, beneath which the Union army camped during the battle of Port Gibson. Then I first photographed this tree it was in a thick forest, and it loomed among the trees, casting a canopy over a wide area. It is very forlorn and endangered since the forest was logged, but I'm still glad they didn't take it too. windsor (1 of 1).jpg

Love the composition of this one minniev....

Thanks Frank, it's a bit different. That is one of my most favorite trees in the world. I wish it could talk.

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:09 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:

I am watching also. I like the color very much. I think I have largely lost the skill of seeing in monochrome. I used to shoot more than half my work in B&W, but digital makes color so easy and fun and light sources be hanged. :p

I suspect that one thing perhaps missing from pictures of this once-great structure is a sense of scale. I've spent 20 minutes looking at Google pictures of the ruin, yet the great majority have no people in them, and that's the easiest way to show how massive and tall those columns are. Now Min, you were likely working alone so t'ain't your fault, but if you have a companion sometime, have him/her walk over and stand, say, touching the base of a column and craning to see the top. I cannot find a single picture like that, yet it's the picture that would show just how huge this thing is. I hope you don't mind my posting a purloined picture... If you do I'll delete it.
Windsor scale.JPG

Thanks Chuck.

I continue to work in both color and monochrome, I prefer color but I'm pretty eclectic in my taste, and will try most anything.

I was working with two unreliable companions who won't obey. In the one with the Big Tree, you can see one of them, though tiny, as mine usually are. My brother is moving towards the ruins from the right. Just a hint of a figure.

You can always post anything you like in my threads, to advance discussion. I never mind.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Psjunkie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:12 am

minniev wrote:
Charles Haacker wrote:

Windsor scale.JPG

Thanks Chuck.

I continue to work in both color and monochrome, I prefer color but I'm pretty eclectic in my taste, and will try most anything.

I was working with two unreliable companions who won't obey. In the one with the Big Tree, you can see one of them, though tiny, as mine usually are. My brother is moving towards the ruins from the right. Just a hint of a figure.

You can always post anything you like in my threads, to advance discussion. I never mind.
Just because of your mention of brother......
Attachments
windsor %281 of 1%29_frank2013.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:31 pm

Frank, you got him to show up more! Thank ya!

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:14 pm

The latest, with the awesome tree, is wonderful, as is Frank's crop. The mystery of "what is that in the clearing?" is highly appealing for me in the more distant, and of course the lone figure advancing towards is another story, but with equal impact.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:29 pm

LindaShorey wrote:The latest, with the awesome tree, is wonderful, as is Frank's crop. The mystery of "what is that in the clearing?" is highly appealing for me in the more distant, and of course the lone figure advancing towards is another story, but with equal impact.

Thanks for hanging in there with us Linda! Glad you like this view. I've posted pictures of this tree several times, it's an old friend.

Return to “― Architecture Critique”