"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Critic's CornerYale University architectural detail

Our man-made structures are works of marvel and awe. Buildings, homes, bridges, airports and structures of all kinds can be posted here.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Yale University architectural detail

Postby Duck » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:29 am

An older image, but as I haven't been shooting much lately...

So here is a before and after shot of a dormitory roof detail I found rather pleasing. It's not a spectacular image but it has a small level of charm to it for me. I am posting the before and after in hopes of stimulating some discussion about processing, composition, etc. Feel free to comment on any aspect of this image, good, bad or indifferent.

duck_5275-before.jpg
before

duck_5275-after.jpg
after

Some history on the image.

As you can see from the sky, it wasn't a particularly bright day but bright enough to cause foreground objects to silhouette. As I wanted to retain sky detail I exposed for the sky. I actually did a series of bracketed shots but felt my bracket range may not have been great enough. Anyway, this image is more a test on what Lightroom can handle than anything else.

As mentioned, it's not a strong image as it doesn't have a prominent subject worth looking at. It's rather mundane in truth, but I liked the colors on the cupola.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Yale University architectural detail

Postby TomCofer » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:30 pm

That's a pretty good example of just how much can be recovered in Lightroom or Photoshop Duck. I think it's also a good example of how planning ahead and understanding the luminosity limitations of your camera's sensor can be important.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Duck » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:29 pm

TomCofer wrote:That's a pretty good example of just how much can be recovered in Lightroom or Photoshop Duck. I think it's also a good example of how planning ahead and understanding the luminosity limitations of your camera's sensor can be important.

I am always impressed by what today's editing software can accomplish. As I mentioned, I have a few other shots I took within this exposure bracket and the lighter one can probably just as easily be edited.

Actually, what I should do is write a tutorial on how Lightroom can handle the various ranges of exposure. One thing I tell my students is never delete an image in camera just because you "think" it's bad. Primarily because the preview screen hides a lot and secondly, because of what can be done with editing, as shown above.

Thanks for the comments.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Ceropegia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:18 pm

Duck wrote:I am always impressed by what today's editing software can accomplish. One thing I tell my students is never delete an image in camera just because you "think" it's bad.

Great salvage job! Also, since I love architectural detail, I really like the shot.

In the days of film, many folks discarded negatives they thought were bad primarily because automatic processing of roll film often did not properly expose negatives when producing prints, especially high contrast ones. Prints would be too dark or the exposure would emphasize the wrong area of the shot. I discovered this after a friend took me with him to a rented darkroom (until then, I was unaware darkrooms could be rented). A shot I had taken that disappointed me turned out to be quite vibrant and lovely after being properly exposed for printing. Never tossing any negatives even bad ones, I was soon reexamining old negatives, renting a darkroom myself, and resurrecting many shots I had thought were bad by properly exposing the negative and occasionally using some judicious dodging. Also, after this revelation, I always returned negatives to the processor to be redone correctly when I determined by examining them that the prints had been poorly processed. Naturally, I was ecstatic to discover, the same could be accomplished with digital shots using editing software and I, too, tell others not to be so quick to delete shots.
Martha
In the Appalachian foothills of Northeast Alabama

http://www.ipernity.com/home/picture_taker

Return to “City Skylines & Architecture”