"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

― Scapes Critique'Super Moon Over Cincinnati'

Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Reputation: 32
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

'Super Moon Over Cincinnati'

Postby davechinn » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:04 pm

I went out last night to capture some new images of the Cincinnati skyline and not realizing anything about the super moon. My naiveness and ignorance paid off IMO. This is my version of the Super Moon Over Cincinnati. Thoughts, comments and feedback?
Attachments
Super Moon DEC_9274 #2w.jpg
'Super Moon Over Cincinnati'

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Posts: 658
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Reputation: 32
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: 'Super Moon Over Cincinnati'

Postby Psjunkie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:15 pm

I very much like the composition...my question is whether you intentionally wanted that much haze in the entire image??

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Reputation: 97
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: 'Super Moon Over Cincinnati'

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:40 pm

A composite? I just did one of my moonset this morning :)

I'd like to see the moon whiter and maybe a tiny bit smaller. Against the strong colors and bright whites of the city, the moon is looking a little muddy and I think it could hold up nicely if brighter/whiter. I love your perspective and the lines leading downtown.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Reputation: 32
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: 'Super Moon Over Cincinnati'

Postby davechinn » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:21 am

Psjunkie wrote:I very much like the composition...my question is whether you intentionally wanted that much haze in the entire image??


Thanks Frank !!! Some of the haze just happen to be natural, but during the processing I felt a little more was needed. I may have gone too far, but as is for now I'm satisfied. May go back for some additional adjustments though.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Reputation: 32
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: 'Super Moon Over Cincinnati'

Postby davechinn » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:28 am

LindaShorey wrote:A composite? I just did one of my moonset this morning :)

I'd like to see the moon whiter and maybe a tiny bit smaller. Against the strong colors and bright whites of the city, the moon is looking a little muddy and I think it could hold up nicely if brighter/whiter. I love your perspective and the lines leading downtown.


I debated on a whiter moon, but as you can see, it didn't win. As I mentioned to Frank, I may go back for some additional adjustments. Yes, it's a composite, only because the moon was added over top of the original and I preferred this one over the original, but you may be onto something about the size and brightness. I'll give it some consideration after it sinks in more clearly. Thanks for your comments.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Reputation: 32
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: 'Super Moon Over Cincinnati'

Postby davechinn » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:50 pm

davechinn wrote:
LindaShorey wrote:A composite? I just did one of my moonset this morning :)

I'd like to see the moon whiter and maybe a tiny bit smaller. Against the strong colors and bright whites of the city, the moon is looking a little muddy and I think it could hold up nicely if brighter/whiter. I love your perspective and the lines leading downtown.


I debated on a whiter moon, but as you can see, it didn't win. As I mentioned to Frank, I may go back for some additional adjustments. Yes, it's a composite, only because the moon was added over top of the original and I preferred this one over the original, but you may be onto something about the size and brightness. I'll give it some consideration after it sinks in more clearly. Thanks for your comments.
Dave


After some considerable consideration I took yours and Frank's advise. This image was slightly cropped, but not as much as the first post. Where I said I placed the moon overtop of the original was inaccurate. The moon was further to the left. I lost track within my own ignorance. I'm also posting the original image with no crop whatsoever. The only editing done with the original was in camera raw and a slight sensor spot removed. Thanks to both of you, (Linda & Frank) for your helpful suggestions. It takes me a little while to absorb things before I can make a final decision to make changes or leave them as they were.
Dave
Attachments
Super Moon #2w Over Cincinnati DEC_9270.jpg
'Super Moon'
DEC_9270w color.jpg
Original

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Reputation: 97
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: 'Super Moon Over Cincinnati'

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:11 pm

You are an accomplished artist with a strong pov, Dave. It's admirable and understandable that you take time to mull over suggestions rather than just implement without thought :)

IMO your changes make the moon more natural and part of the scene so I'm not stuck on a feeling of something being not quite right. I have to say I like your original a lot, though! I'm reminded of Minnie's images with "little people" in them. There's definitely a place for little moons too (Graham has one here of Stonehenge or similar?).
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Reputation: 21
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: 'Super Moon Over Cincinnati'

Postby Matt Quinn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:51 am

davechinn wrote:
davechinn wrote:
LindaShorey wrote:A composite? I just did one of my moonset this morning :)

I'd like to see the moon whiter and maybe a tiny bit smaller. Against the strong colors and bright whites of the city, the moon is looking a little muddy and I think it could hold up nicely if brighter/whiter. I love your perspective and the lines leading downtown.


I debated on a whiter moon, but as you can see, it didn't win. As I mentioned to Frank, I may go back for some additional adjustments. Yes, it's a composite, only because the moon was added over top of the original and I preferred this one over the original, but you may be onto something about the size and brightness. I'll give it some consideration after it sinks in more clearly. Thanks for your comments.
Dave


After some considerable consideration I took yours and Frank's advise. This image was slightly cropped, but not as much as the first post. Where I said I placed the moon overtop of the original was inaccurate. The moon was further to the left. I lost track within my own ignorance. I'm also posting the original image with no crop whatsoever. The only editing done with the original was in camera raw and a slight sensor spot removed. Thanks to both of you, (Linda & Frank) for your helpful suggestions. It takes me a little while to absorb things before I can make a final decision to make changes or leave them as they were.
Dave


Dave, I really like the final image; the moon looks more natural in size and color. It looked like the Death Star in the first. The lights and darks of the city at night are marvelous and rich. Question; how did you get rid of the cloud around the moon? Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Reputation: 32
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: 'Super Moon Over Cincinnati'

Postby davechinn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:13 pm

LindaShorey wrote:You are an accomplished artist with a strong pov, Dave. It's admirable and understandable that you take time to mull over suggestions rather than just implement without thought :)

IMO your changes make the moon more natural and part of the scene so I'm not stuck on a feeling of something being not quite right. I have to say I like your original a lot, though! I'm reminded of Minnie's images with "little people" in them. There's definitely a place for little moons too (Graham has one here of Stonehenge or similar?).


Linda, I'm trying to learn from my own mistakes and while in the past have been guilty of responding prematurely, I'm finding that it's much more rewarding to mull over things before inserting foot in mouth. Although, it is a struggle. Thanks again, much appreciated.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Reputation: 32
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: 'Super Moon Over Cincinnati'

Postby davechinn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:40 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
davechinn wrote:
davechinn wrote:
I debated on a whiter moon, but as you can see, it didn't win. As I mentioned to Frank, I may go back for some additional adjustments. Yes, it's a composite, only because the moon was added over top of the original and I preferred this one over the original, but you may be onto something about the size and brightness. I'll give it some consideration after it sinks in more clearly. Thanks for your comments.
Dave


After some considerable consideration I took yours and Frank's advise. This image was slightly cropped, but not as much as the first post. Where I said I placed the moon overtop of the original was inaccurate. The moon was further to the left. I lost track within my own ignorance. I'm also posting the original image with no crop whatsoever. The only editing done with the original was in camera raw and a slight sensor spot removed. Thanks to both of you, (Linda & Frank) for your helpful suggestions. It takes me a little while to absorb things before I can make a final decision to make changes or leave them as they were.
Dave


Dave, I really like the final image; the moon looks more natural in size and color. It looked like the Death Star in the first. The lights and darks of the city at night are marvelous and rich. Question; how did you get rid of the cloud around the moon? Matt


Thanks Matt !!! My first attempt was a somewhat failure, but a learning experience as well. I agree, the first one does give a "Death Star" impression. That was not my intention. I didn't reveal that it was a composite in my opening, but had planned to later, my mistake. However, I did want this image to be realistic as possible.

The clouds were simply removed by cropping the original and placing the moon image back in as close as possible to where it had been prior to the crop. Although, I did want some clouds by the moon and there are some and I also added some stars, but very subtle on both, stars and clouds.
Dave


Return to “― Scapes Critique”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests