"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

― Architecture CritiqueIndustry

Images of man-made structures; buildings, bridges, statues, roads and architectural elements like windows and doors, stairs, etc.
LindaShorey
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Industry

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:21 pm

Shot yesterday morning; the light is what caught my eye :) Minnie's industrial topic was also in my mind, however, so now I'm working out where I can best shoot this subject to contrast it against the pretty farming community in which it resides. Inspiration from fellow forum members, priceless!

Kronos Micronutrients manufactures zinc sulfate fertilizers in liquid and dry formulations. The company’s products are used in crop fertilization and animal feed.
Attachments
1 P1040286.jpg
1 P1040286.jpg (325.93 KiB) Viewed 213 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Industry

Postby davechinn » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:30 pm

Absolutely stunning Linda !!! I love how the tracks are lit, the smoke in the sky diffuses some of the sunlight is an enhancement for sure. This too, reminds me of Minnie's previous post.
Dave

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:44 pm

Definitely a powerful image. Good on you for spotting it. I'm a little distracted by the lens flares on this one, though. Usually I love lens flares. I guess it's just the proximity to the cloud. It's a minor and subjective thing though.

Like Dave mentions, the light play on the tracks is a fantastic piece of composition that really helps pull the image together, leading into the community in the background. The silhouette of the factory is very strong and clear. Something that often gets muddled.

You mentioned playing with composition to showcase that this is in a farming community. As I can't see, are there additional buildings (houses?) to the right? Perhaps expanding the scene further across may help sell that idea. Of course trying to replicate this marvelous shot may be a challenge. :-)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:46 pm

davechinn wrote:Absolutely stunning Linda !!! I love how the tracks are lit, the smoke in the sky diffuses some of the sunlight is an enhancement for sure. This too, reminds me of Minnie's previous post.
Dave
Thank you, Dave! I'm so appreciative of your lovely comments.

Duck wrote:Definitely a powerful image. Good on you for spotting it. I'm a little distracted by the lens flares on this one, though. Usually I love lens flares. I guess it's just the proximity to the cloud. It's a minor and subjective thing though.

Like Dave mentions, the light play on the tracks is a fantastic piece of composition that really helps pull the image together, leading into the community in the background. The silhouette of the factory is very strong and clear. Something that often gets muddled.

You mentioned playing with composition to showcase that this is in a farming community. As I can't see, are there additional buildings (houses?) to the right? Perhaps expanding the scene further across may help sell that idea. Of course trying to replicate this marvelous shot may be a challenge. :-)
Thanks so much for your detailed response, Duck. You are a treasure! And your new avatar is just Toooo adorable :D

I was on the fence about the green flare at first, decided I like it. There is a tiny cloud (I think that's what it is) above the green, though, that I'll get rid of.

Regarding another composition, I was referring to finding a different location. I have some from yesterday I took from the opposite direction, but right now there's just an empty field as foreground. I have also taken a more distant view of the entire valley from a height that includes Mt Adams into the scene when it's cooperative. I'll re-visit there.

To your specific suggestion, to the right of where I was standing is a two-lane state highway, but the buildings at rear of this composition are accessible. Since I've already "done" the dramatic light, I can be looking for a different story - maybe through raindrops on glass :)

Again, many thanks!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:22 pm

Truly a wonderful Industrial! I'm jealous! The composition is riveting, with the terrific shiny sinuous railroad track emerging from the left corner and leading rightward/upward to a distant, hazy city in the distance, weaving around the big Industrial with its billowing smoke, intricate architecture and sun/effects. I like having the billow in the middle with all the other pieces set out around it. Moving it slightly leftward would also have worked but that would possibly have altered that wonderful line of reflective rail.

I'm interested in your processing, whether that is some color toning, or an overlay, or something else. Whatever it is, it works very well.

This one's a gem.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:01 pm

minniev wrote:Truly a wonderful Industrial! I'm jealous! The composition is riveting, with the terrific shiny sinuous railroad track emerging from the left corner and leading rightward/upward to a distant, hazy city in the distance, weaving around the big Industrial with its billowing smoke, intricate architecture and sun/effects. I like having the billow in the middle with all the other pieces set out around it. Moving it slightly leftward would also have worked but that would possibly have altered that wonderful line of reflective rail.

I'm interested in your processing, whether that is some color toning, or an overlay, or something else. Whatever it is, it works very well.

This one's a gem.

Thank you Minnie! I am so grateful for the rich poetry that is your "way with words." Especially when you like it :D

In PS Elements ACR, I usually leave the default for sharpening and noise reduction alone, so on my first screen (basic edits), I lowered highlights by 14 points and whites by 32. I upped clarity by 23. In Elements itself, I used a Topaz Detail pre-set called "blue sky" and then some Nik Tonal Contrast and then a bit of levels adjustments. I never have buckled down to learn curves, lol.

I am still shooting jpg+raw. So below is a jpg sooc just for your comparison. I made sure to do several underexposed like this one (1/2000 sec, f/9, ISO 200 on Panasonic Lumix with 14-140 mm lens at 46 mm). I haven't edited any that were exposed lighter (1/640 sec), mostly because I was going for drama and was pleased with this result.

Much appreciated!
Attachments
P1040286.jpg
P1040286.jpg (254.61 KiB) Viewed 185 times

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:48 pm

The color you used in the edited version was simply an enhancement, it appears, not a change. The image has the look of a duotone, but apparently it just became that naturally because of the mixed gold and blue lighting. I have seen that before, but it is always surprising when it happens. It's a great image, even with no editing at all. The composition and the drama of the lighting can carry it with little else to be done.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:54 pm

minniev wrote:The color you used in the edited version was simply an enhancement, it appears, not a change. The image has the look of a duotone, but apparently it just became that naturally because of the mixed gold and blue lighting. I have seen that before, but it is always surprising when it happens. It's a great image, even with no editing at all. The composition and the drama of the lighting can carry it with little else to be done.

Thanks again, Minnie! I was surprised the jpg looked so good. I'm not going to admit what that probably means regarding my ability to expose properly much of the time :D Oh, and the gold is somewhat caused by dirty air, I think, which was all around the valley for a few days (high pressure system, no wind) - and the low angle of sun.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:13 am

THERE IS NO LIGHT... What grabs me particularly are the twin glowing ribbons of track. I don't mind the flare a bit, looks like sun dogs. Terrific! :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:17 am

Charles Haacker wrote:THERE IS NO LIGHT... What grabs me particularly are the twin glowing ribbons of track. I don't mind the flare a bit, looks like sun dogs. Terrific! :thumbup:

So glad you enjoyed, Chuck. I'd had my eye on this subject for awhile so I was very pleased with the timing for the light. I went to check on other viewpoints this morning and there was no smoke ;)

Return to “― Architecture Critique”