The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

Abstract ShowcaseAn Experiment in Red

RBorud
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: An Experiment in Red

Post by RBorud » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:12 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:30 pm
Brilliant. Matt
Thanks Matt RBorud

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:26 pm

RBorud wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:07 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:44 pm
minniev wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:48 pm

Oh my goodness, I love this. It's full of mystery and it's so well executed. I wish I could watch over your shoulder and see how you do this stuff.

This one has the same "feel" as my favorites of your prairie sentinels, the delicate sketch lines and spashes of color. Thanks for sharing!
YES - Exactly right. I think the same.

RBorud, we use different software - but I too would love to see a series of shots that show how you advance your images. It is not the software or the buttons that you push - it is your artistic vision and how you bring something from point A to point B. It is the way you think, how you view problems and solve them - stratigically. It is your composition, choice of colors and tone and saturation, and especially your vision that we admire (red faced and green with envy).
PietFrancke Thanks for you wonderful thoughts and comments. I see you want my soul, I would give it to you all if I knew how. Best I can do is tell you a bit about me. I come from a painters background and for some years worked a an art restorer in a gallery. Read voraciously on painters, photographers, illustrators, any thing of a creative nature, even if I do not agree with it. I also strongly believe a quote from the Patrick Denis' play "Auntie Mame" "Patrick the world is a banquet and most poor suckers are staving to death." I also do something like this when I have blocks, problems, and the like, I say you old s---t you cannot have your dinner until you think of something, so stare at it until you do. It is quite productive. Thanks again RBorud
ponder and study
and see, look until you see
dinner forgotten

nothing easy then
how can effortless art flow?
but art IS effort

then a step forward
then the starving artist eats
a happy soft smile

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:29 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:26 pm
ponder and study
dinner forgotten

nothing easy then
but art IS effort

then a step forward
a happy soft smile

Perfect! :clap:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

RBorud
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Post by RBorud » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:34 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:26 pm
RBorud wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:07 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:44 pm

YES - Exactly right. I think the same.

RBorud, we use different software - but I too would love to see a series of shots that show how you advance your images. It is not the software or the buttons that you push - it is your artistic vision and how you bring something from point A to point B. It is the way you think, how you view problems and solve them - stratigically. It is your composition, choice of colors and tone and saturation, and especially your vision that we admire (red faced and green with envy).
PietFrancke Thanks for you wonderful thoughts and comments. I see you want my soul, I would give it to you all if I knew how. Best I can do is tell you a bit about me. I come from a painters background and for some years worked a an art restorer in a gallery. Read voraciously on painters, photographers, illustrators, any thing of a creative nature, even if I do not agree with it. I also strongly believe a quote from the Patrick Denis' play "Auntie Mame" "Patrick the world is a banquet and most poor suckers are staving to death." I also do something like this when I have blocks, problems, and the like, I say you old s---t you cannot have your dinner until you think of something, so stare at it until you do. It is quite productive. Thanks again RBorud
ponder and study
dinner forgotten

nothing easy then
but art IS effort

then a step forward
a happy soft smile
Merci beaucoup RBorud

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:25 am

RBorud wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:37 pm

Thanks minniev for your most pleasant comments. As to how here is a rough outline. First of all I use corel because of certain of its operations that I find so much more intuitive for me. The image went through about 5 iterations of which the one you see is one of them. I believe I varied from 3 to 7 layers to get some of the effects I wished for. The effect you are observing is from an odd plugin called Fractillius. Most of the company presets are awful and too overcooked, so I have created about 4 to my liking and use. I call this one "A bit of Matisse". The images where all shot at different times over a period of 5 years. The last big thing, is the labor of thinking and previsualization of what I am trying to do. Thanks for asking and for being a good observer. RBorud
Thank you for these glimpses you have given us into the soul of the artist. It is that mix of delicate sketch work and the photographic image(s) I that makes your work so distinctive. When I’ve seen these kinds of creations there is always that artistry background in the creator. I yearn to be able to create such things but alas, the artistic gift just isn’t there. But I get great pleasure from the viewing and understanding.

I also appreciate Piet’s poetry.

One of the things that makes pM so special is the art we find here, which goes beyond photography in a multiplicity of directions.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:06 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:25 am
Thank you for these glimpses you have given us into the soul of the artist. It is that mix of delicate sketch work and the photographic image(s) I that makes your work so distinctive. When I’ve seen these kinds of creations there is always that artistry background in the creator. I yearn to be able to create such things but alas, the artistic gift just isn’t there. But I get great pleasure from the viewing and understanding.
[...]

Don't sell yourself so short. What you can do with textures is equally as enviable for those of us who struggle in that department. We all have our own unique ways of expressing our artistic abilities.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

RBorud
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Post by RBorud » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:08 pm

Duck wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:06 pm
minniev wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:25 am
[...]

Don't sell yourself so short. What you can do with textures is equally as enviable for those of us who struggle in that department. We all have our own unique ways of expressing our artistic abilities.
I agree with Duck completly!! RBorud

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:32 am

RBorud wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:10 pm
Good Morning all
I am presenting a little daydream over my coffee, and thought some may enjoy it also. Thanks for looking. RBorud
I'm waiting to see the full collection in the gallery! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"